clutch bleeding - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th March 2008

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 ss tid
Default clutch bleeding

hi any ideas how to bleed the clutch ,i borrowed the bleeding kit that goes on the spare tyre ,and the air was going everywhere so that idea did not work ,any more thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th March 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

you can pressure bleed through the master, just apply the pressure and loosen the nipple till new fluid comes out.
Old 21st November 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Cosmic Blue Linear Wagon
Default Can the Power Bleeder be used?

Would the Motive Power Bleeder work for this application as well? This sounds like a delicate area, with the potential of screwing up the Slave. The Saab method uses a "reverse" pressure system to the way the Power Bleeder operates.

If the Power Bleeder will work, and someone has done it successfully, what is the max pressure to use in the bleeder, 10 - 14 PSI?
Old 21st November 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

Why are you bleeding the clutch?
2006 9-7X 5.3i
Old 21st November 2008
SaabNut!

Hi Scott,

I thought I would do it while bleeding the brakes with fresh fluid. I don't believe the system has ever been bled. Is bleeding the clutch not a preventative maintenance item? I heard fresh fluid is good for the clutch seals?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st November 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

I've never heard of that myself, but what you say does make sense.

Although, the main reason for changing brake fluid is because of the heat it undergoes in the calipers.

I can't imagine that it would be a bad thing to do ... just something new to me.
2006 9-7X 5.3i
Old 21st November 2008
gemlam

I bled the clutch line when bleeding the brakes. The bleed fitting is not at the slave (clutch) cylinder, though. You will be bleeding the clutch fluid line half way to the slave cylinder. Note that the bleed fitting, being half way to the slave, is on a fitting that snaps onto the line that continues to the clutch (used during assembly of transmission into frame), so it will move when you try to loosen the bleed fitting. After bleeding thru this fitting, I felt fortunate that I didn't screw anything up, as if I had broken the connection, I might have had to fix it by removing the transmission (so be careful if you do this). I don't thnk bleeding this line has any benefit for the slave cylinder.
Old 24th November 2008
SaabNut!

Thanks guys. I'll see how brave I feel on the day. Gemlam, did you follow or see the WIS instructions? I find the diagram they use a little confusing. There appears to be a gravity type fluid bleed as well?
Old 24th November 2008
gemlam

When I bled the clutch line, I used the pressurized master cylinder method, which clears out the fluid uin the clutch hydraulic lines up to the slave cylinder delivery pipe (which is about 2/3 of the fluid line going to the slave cylinder). You need to remove the transmission to bleed the slave cylinder itself (I skipped this step), as the slave cylinder needs to be compressed manually several times to properly bleed. I think you only have to bleed the slave cylinder when it is replaced. The caution I give you is that the bleed nipple on the transmission for bleeding the hydraulic line is held onto the slave cylinder delivery pipe by a hairpin shaped clip, so it is no held on rigidly. You need to be careful not to damage the clip or else you may need to get a new part before you can drive the car again. Look in the WIS under "cluthc delivery pipi removal", step 12.
Old 24th November 2008
SaabNut!

Thanks again, yes, I definitely don't want to go there, or anywhere near the slave cylinder.

The procedure I was wondering about is the Bleeding the clutch hydraulic system in the car, in the same section of the WIS as the Clutch Delivery pipe instructions.

Now I'm just wondering if the Saab brake bleeder apparatus can be safely substituted with the Motive Power Bleeder.
Old 24th November 2008
gemlam

The Motive Power Bleeder is exactly what I used. I bled the clutch hydraulics at the same time as I was bleeding the brake lines (it's just another line off of the master cylinder). I kept the pressure below 10 PSI and it worked well.
Old 24th November 2008
SaabNut!

Great, that's what I wanted to hear.
Old 24th November 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJavo
Thanks again, yes, I definitely don't want to go there, or anywhere near the slave cylinder.

The procedure I was wondering about is the Bleeding the clutch hydraulic system in the car, in the same section of the WIS as the Clutch Delivery pipe instructions.

Now I'm just wondering if the Saab brake bleeder apparatus can be safely substituted with the Motive Power Bleeder.
I bled teh clutch on my 03 at the nipple on the slave was that not the right way to do it ( never saw what you are talking about on the line maybe that;s a 04+ issue..

Used motive they work great...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement