SaabCentral Forums banner

iPhone Issues

16K views 65 replies 17 participants last post by  jmadonna 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble connecting my iPhone through the aux jack on my '07 9-3 stereo. My daughters nano works and the male/male cable is working (it connects the iPhone to my daughters boombox). Anyone else having this issue?

The iPhone is different than the iPods because it has the third connection in the jack for the microphone, could this somehow be causing the issue?

Thanks,

Dave

#2 ·
That's weird - if it works with the boom box and if the car recognizes the nano, how would the car know that the signal is different (even given the microphone issue). One thing I've learned though, is not to underestimate the complexity of 9-3 electronics :roll: . Still, the aux in should work with any mp3 player, walkman, diskman, etc....

I'm getting my aux in cable installed tomorrow, I don't have an iPhone, I'm hoping it'll work fine with my shuffle.

#3 ·
It's not the microphone component which is the problem, but the fact that the headphone jack on an iPhone is recessed differently than a standard iPod. That is why standard headphones also do not work with the iPhone. Therefore, you need a special headphone/line out adapter; there are many made with a lot under $10. Here is a link to one example for $7.95:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/iPhoneCables.aspx#ProCableAudioExtension

#5 ·
At first I though it was the recessed jack issue, but ive bought a couple different cords now and like I say above the cords do work with the boombox.

Thanks for the comments though. Can someone confirm that they can connect the iPhone to a '07 aux jack?

Dave

#6 ·
If you bought cables with standard 3.5 millimeter jacks the casings won't fit in the iphone's socket, the aftermarket adapters have a narrower casing which slips into the iphones narrower socket. It's not a Ring Tip Sleeve wiring issue. You also need the adapter for non-apple headphones like Bose or VModa when you use them with iphone

There should be no problems if the iphone has output and your using the adapter.

#7 ·
I am using one of the special iPhone adapters with an iPhone without any problems (understanding that the aux in sound is not the greatest). One additional possible advantage of using an iPhone adapter is that it can provide a little extra length to a regular 3.5 to 3.5 cord so you can rest the iPhone in a more secure place. In any case, I can definitely confirm that an iPhone will work in a Saab's auxiliary in port.

Another option, which is costlier, is to get a cable which uses the proprietary connector at the bottom of an iPhone/iPod and has a 3.5 jack at the other end. I do not have one, but I have heard that they provide better sounding output than the cables that use the headphone jack.

#8 ·
Thanks for confirmation bomarco! and the suggestion using the proprietary connector on the bottom. I will keep my eyes open for that.

Are you using the adapter you linked in your first reply?

I bought this Monster icablelink headphone adapter for iPhone at the Apple store. They work great for my shure headphones but still are not solve my problem with the 9-3.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4707

This is the cable I have:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4626

I guess I'm still a bit lost on this problem :confused:.

Dave

#9 ·
I am using this cable which I bought in my local Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...1&origkw=griffin&kw=griffin&parentPage=search

Griffin has a good reputation for making Apple products for many years. I couple this adapter with a generic 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm stereo male to male cord which I also bought at Radio Shack (it is actually kind of long with a lot of dangling cord but it gets the job done and was cheap).

The sound is just OK, but I find it is better than the compressed sound that I get with XM radio on the Bose system. I do need to turn the volume all the way up on the iPhone to match the volume of a CD or the radio. I think if you use an audio cable which attaches to the iPhone/iPod proprietary slot that the audio out is much louder and does not require the volume to be as high (and may be better sounding). However, you would lose the ability to charge the iPhone/iPod while using it.

I still do not understand why the cable you bought does not work however...

#12 ·
bb03aero, good suggestion to try the aux port on the dock. It does work in the 9-3. It actually works pretty well as a temporary fix.

Based on the comment from new92xowner I'm starting to think my issue could be a firmware issue on the iPhone, I'm still running the relatively new 1.1.3 but a couple weeks ago Apple released 1.1.4. I'll report back after I upgrade my iPhone.

thanks for all the comments!

#14 ·
Having done just a teeny tiny bit of research... I have seen iPhone working harmoniously with an 07 SS via the aux input. Again, I really recommend the jack adapter. $10 goes a long way for one of those puppies!

I don't recommend plugging iPhone's dock connector into anything that isn't specifically made for iPhone. Some devices will, by default, put iPhone into airport mode (so it is basically a much more expensive iPod Touch), other devices "brick" the iPhone, Im not sure exactly what causes this to happen but even devices carrying the "made for iPod" insignia can render your iPhone useless... (and since you are using the products in a manner inconsistent with its labeling, it is NOT covered by warranty!)

#15 ·
I just carved down then end of the cheap cable to get it to work. :)

#16 ·
I seem to be having the same kind of problem with my ipod classic 80gb and ipod shuffle 512mb in my 2004 vector!:cry: I put the stereo to aux and am getting speaker noise,but no music :confused: I have amale 2 male 3.5mm lead and a lead that plugs into the bottom of the ipods to the 3.5mm jack,but neither seem to work :x :x :x .Very pissed off.HELP

#20 ·
Chaser, I'm having the same issue. When I plug my IPhone in via the aux it starts playing via the speakers in the IPhone. I have the correct cable because I am able to use the IPhone with my cable via the AUX jack in my girlfriends Rav4. I've also used my AUX cable in my 07 Aero with my girlfriends IPod Nano and it works flawlessly. So in theory I have the correct AUX cable, but there seems to be some incompatibility between the 07 Aero and the IPhone. I have the latest firmware for the IPhone and I purchased it around the beginning of March. I don't know what the next step would be. If you dig up any details let me know.

#21 ·
Even though I did not have any problems using a line out/headphone adapter in my iPhone in my 2007 2.0T, I thought the sound was not very good. So I just switched to this product called the Griffin Autopilot:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

which uses the charging port but also has a line out. While pricier, it has several advantages: it has better sound since it bypasses the iPhone amplifier, it charges the iPhone, and it has lighted keys which controls the iPhone (or iPod). One word of caution: every time you plug it in, it says that this is not approved for the iPhone and asks you if you want to go into airplane mode, where you cannot send and receive phone calls. After doing some research on the internet, it is the general consensus that this is done since there is theoretical interference from the cellular radio unit. However, if you say no about switching to airplane mode, it seems to work fine, at least in the few days I have had it. I think there might be a similar Belkin product which is approved for the iPhone (perhaps increased shielding???).

For those having trouble with the regular line out (if this is truly an Aero issue, it seems really weird, although with Saabs you never know), this might be an alternative. Just make sure that it is returnable so you do not get hit for the $50 if it does not work. Another almost free alternative (and possibly a good test run for a product like the Griffin Autopilot) is to use strong velcro to mount an iPhone/iPod desktop charger to the top of your dashboard and use the line out from that (this was suggested by someone earlier in the thread as well). Basically the Autopilot is doing the same thing - splitting the charging and line out functions of the proprietary port at the bottom of the iPhone.

#22 ·
jmadonna said:
Chaser, I'm having the same issue. When I plug my IPhone in via the aux it starts playing via the speakers in the IPhone. I have the correct cable because I am able to use the IPhone with my cable via the AUX jack in my girlfriends Rav4. I've also used my AUX cable in my 07 Aero with my girlfriends IPod Nano and it works flawlessly. So in theory I have the correct AUX cable, but there seems to be some incompatibility between the 07 Aero and the IPhone. I have the latest firmware for the IPhone and I purchased it around the beginning of March. I don't know what the next step would be. If you dig up any details let me know.
I've spent hours on this issue with applecare, as well as the Genius bar. I can play any other mp3 player through the aux jack. Just not the iPhone. I was able to do so on 1.1.1. Apple replaced the iPhone for me, BUT-the problem persists. The phone is getting some kind of signal or voltage message from the GM head unit that's shutting it down. In other words, it's the radio.

This is a serious limitation that really needs to be corrected. My next step is trying out the iPhone at the Saab dealership on brand new models. That should rule out a defective head unit/aux input jack.

Other than that, I'm stumped. Perhaps downgrade the FW on the phone?
Dunno.

#24 ·
jmadonna said:
Did Apple make any mention that they will work to solve this specific problem?
Other than replacing the phone, no.

You have to realize, I'm running my iphone jailbroken and hacked on TMobile's network. Not that it matters, but it could. Apple is very reluctant to offer too much help under this scenario.

The Genius' at the Apple store are undermined by this whole thing. It's really unfair to them that they're put into the position of policing the Apple/ATT business agreement. A role that they are not accustomed to nor comfortable with.

The only way I can get help is by completely virginizing the phone to an "out of the box" state before I even try getting any help from Apple.

I'm still working on this issue and will update as it progresses.

Just an FYI-I am using the right patch cable purchased from the apple store.

#25 ·
same issues

Hi,

Im having the same issue. I have an 07 9-3 SS Anniv edition, everything is stock. Got an iPhone about 2 weeks ago and the aux cable I'd been using with my nano would not fit in the iPhone's recessed headphone jack. So I bought an adapter so I could still use that same cable. No luck, sound only comes from the iPhone speakers. So I thought it was the adapter and bought an aux (male to male) cable on amazon that's made to fit the iPhone. Same thing, no luck.

I have a clock radio with the same input as the Saab radio, and it works just fine. Also, my sister has a Saturn Aura and it works just fine in her car. So this has to be a SAAB thing.

I have the most recent firmware on my iPhone, but it is also completely stock (not jailbroken at all).

This really annoys me, but I love my iPhone so much that it's not a dealbreaker, I'll have to keep using my nano in the car until someone figures out how to get it to work.

One last thing. If I slowly unplug the cable from the iPhone, it will play through the saab speakers as it should for a split second before the iPhone automatically pauses (sensing the cable being removed). So it has to be a software thing between the radio and the iPhone.

Bummer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.