TCS and Breakdown (But not from TCS) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th February 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1993 Saab 9000 CSE
Default TCS and Breakdown (But not from TCS)

So we're having one of the worst snowstorms of the year. Not terribly heavy snow, but enough to make the roads really slick, and visibility is 0. I leave the house to go to school, and I can't even get up the road. The stupid TCS is rearing it's ugly head. Every time I go to go, I slip a little, TCS-mom kicks in and makes it impossible for me to move. It really is almost hilarious! I'm just sitting there fighting with the car. I also probably wore half the tread off my tyres, but we're not going to talk about that.

So after about 30 seconds of this I decide to take a different approach. See I had been coming to total stop, with the clutch out, and then I would try to get going again. Well I jut let off the gas, but left the clutch in. The car crawls, and I mean crawls forward, but doesn't kill. I ever-so-ever gently increase the gas, and finally I get moving. Huzzah!

So I'm well on my way, and the TCS hasn't kicked into limp-mode after all this excessive operation or anything, and I think I'm good and fine and that I'll make it to school just fine. Well a few miles away (about 4 miles into the 8 mile trip) the battery light came on. I switched the DIC over to the volt display, and I was still at like 11.2, which is typical for my car, so I didn't start to worry too much. Family has owned at least 2 other cars with phantom battery lights, so I guess I'm just pre-programmed to ignore that one.

So I get to a light maybe 1/4 of a mile later, and I'm first at the light, and I am watching the volt level. It's dropping, but not dangerously fast or anything. I'm not far from school, and I know that when your alternator dies you can still go for awhile on the starter battery. I have all the power accessories shut off and I'm trying to decide if I want to pull over and call for a rescue, or limp to school and just be stranded at the end of the night.

Right then I get the brilliant (inspired actually, not my brilliance) idea to turn my wheel and...it's super hard to turn. Ah. I know what this is, serpentine problem.

So the light turns green and I pull into a parking lot, open the bonnet, and sure enough, belt isn't spinning at all.

Car will be towed to the local Saab guy tomorrow. If I had more time, and if it wasn't 30 out, I might get adventurous and try to fix it myself, but this guy is pretty good, so I'll let him take care of it. Besides that, it will give him a chance to look over the car and do the pre-sale type-inspection that I should have had done on it in the first place, so I at least have a better idea of the overall health of the car.

Anybody care to speculate with me what the problem will be? In the service records I swear I saw some paperwork for the pulley, so I think that's been replaced once, but I don't know when, I'll have to go look. The belt had a little shred missing out of it, but I pulled on it (After I turned the engine off) and it wouldn't come loose. It did, however, have some play in it. This makes me think maybe it really was a pulley, since the belt doesn't appear to have completely broke (Though, like I said, it is damaged), but, if it was something else that seized up, I am thinking there still would have been a lot of tension on the belt, instead of having play in it.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th February 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1994 9000cs Fpt

Yes you will, lol, changing the belt isnt hard at all, first time i did it took me about an hour and half for the full job, theres a full write up on quasimotors but it would probably be near impossible in the freezing weather, its so cold here in NJ 2, i tired to work on my car the other day but my hands went numb lol

Imran
Old 15th February 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1993 Saab 9000 CSE

Just got off the phone with the shoppe.

Pulley!

Thank goodness. I was terrified that it would be an AC Compressor or something.

He said other than that the car is looking healthy. Clutch is releasing a little high, likely my crappy driving is making that worse than it already was. A little exhaust leak, and a little noise from the valve train, and other than that we're happy as a lark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement