97 900 clutch cable problem - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th February 2008

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1996 saab 900s very, 18",unique bodykit
Angry 97 900 clutch cable problem

I have a 97 saab 900 coupe with a clutch cable problem.
I recently replaced my clutch cable as it was become very hard to engage gears (crunching). Having searched the internet i found that the clutch cable had major fault be it the self adjusting mechanism, therefore i replaced with a new clutch cable.
BUT now i feel the problem is worse than ever, it seem`s that the car will enage gears when cold but once warmed up it becomes increasinly harder to engage gears. I have tried the trick of pulling the cable from the firewall and listening for the clicks and the trick of depressing the clutch and letting my foot slip off, thus making the self adjusting mech.. adjust. It works but not for long.
Also the clutch cable seems to work better if not in the 3-4 brackets that hold the cable in position from the firewall to the arm????!!!!!
I feel that there is a connection with the car being cold (clutch working) and warm ( clutch hard to engage gears). Really bamboozled with this!

I have heard that you can buy a manual clutch cable and adjust when needed. But i have just bought a brand new self adjusting cable.

PULLING MY HAIR OUT.

Could it be a stiff part of the release mechanism????
Clutch itself is fine

any help, ideas, brainstorms..... much apprieciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th February 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 aero 5spd 3dr

Hi - sorry to hear of your problems. I only used 2 of the support brackets for my cable - it holds it fine and the more relaxed route means less friction. Are you saying that the biting point is so low to the floor that you can't disengage the flywheel from the gearbox? Is the clutch very heavy? - if so you can lubricate the pivots inside the belhousing by removing the inspection plate and poking a thin tube in connected to a spray grease canister. My clutch was very heavy and had a very low bite point when I first had it but a new cable and a release shaft pivot lube has made it almost as good as a hydraulic unit.
Old 5th February 2008

Thanks,
the clutch seems normal, not heavy. aslo i just remembered that there is about 1" play on the pedal now, tried screwing in the adjuster bolt on the clutch pedal unit but its all the way in and still got free play.

i have read a thread on here stating that u can pull the self adjust mech... out from the firewall and put in spacers to take up slack but i must say its a brand new cable!!!

car runs fine when first started(cold) then after up to operating temp the gears are a nightmare to engage and only when i slam on the clutch pedal or depress clutch cable and make my foot slip off the gears engage for a very short time!!!!
Why is there still play in the cable after i adjust the above said until it can go no further???? to me it says that the self adjust mech has not adjusted and taken up the slack.

This is my first saab ng900 and before i bought this i had 4 saab 9000, upto a 97 csi. these ng900`s are vauxhall and i will never buy another one, i will probably go back to the 9000 when SAAB was SAAB. There must be others on this site that agree with me, build quality, design and reputataion has gone down the tube. SAAB`s are GREAT cars up until the ng900, 9-3,9-5 etc.
Old 5th February 2008

biting point is low when engaging gear but when disengaging to change gear, the biting point is halfway?????
Old 5th February 2008
Saab Lunatic

Did you reattach the self return spring at the clutch pedal - the one that holds the plastic eye in the clutch pedal?
Old 6th February 2008

Talking

yes i replaced the return spring,
I`ve just finished sorting it.

After looking through the threads with regards to the massive downfall of the ng900 self adjusting clutch cable problem i just unhooked the cable from the clutch end, slackened the adjustment bolt at the pedal so that the pedal was as high as it could get, got some white tape (think its plumbers tape, stretches???), Pulled on the self adjusting mechanism at the firewall and wrapped the tape around the bit that went into the firewall. Now the self adjust mech... sits out about 1/4-1/2inch from where it used to sit, hooked everything up and now the clutch bites just above half way,should settle in after a few days if not i`ll prob have to take some tape off and reduce the space a little! PERFECT

I have been repairing my cars and friends cars for 10+ years and i think the bit the self adjusting mech sits into should protrude about 1/4inch MORE, dunno if that is why there`s so much problem`s with cable but its what i think.

Anyway good times ahead, now i can enjoy driving the car now without having to beat the hell out the clutch pedal and easing the gears in...! YEE HAA

Hope this helps
Old 6th February 2008
Saab Lunatic

Glad you sorted it - I've hear some people take the spacer off the old cable and double it up when they put the new one on so it has the same effect.
Old 5th July 2008

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: saab 900 saab 93

Hi all,the way i have got around it is between the metal washer and the rubber washer firewall end is to place a small jubilee clip and tighten down,this saves you having to unhook the cable from the pedal end(which seems almost impossible)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement