Lowering an 07' Aero - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st February 2008

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
Default Lowering an 07' Aero

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Aero Sportcombi. I love the car but would love to lower it just a tad. Has anyone seen any aero's lowered? I think it would look sooooooo sick dropped right down on the tires. I feel like there must be some reason no one has done it, because it seems like a no brainer to me. Let me know! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st February 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumsurfbum
Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Aero Sportcombi. I love the car but would love to lower it just a tad. Has anyone seen any aero's lowered? I think it would look sooooooo sick dropped right down on the tires. I feel like there must be some reason no one has done it, because it seems like a no brainer to me. Let me know! thanks
I think some have lowered the car and it makes sense when you live in a warm climate where you see no potholes. Up here in Ottawa, Canada it would not be wise to do so as it is already low enough for the roads here.

Paul

Past Cars:
2007 Saab 9-3ss AERO
2004 Saab 9-3ss Linear
2003 PT Cruiser
2001 Volvo S40
1990 Honda Accord EX-R
Old 2nd February 2008

I live in california so the roads are pretty good. Do you guys think the aero suspensions would be fine for a small drop just with springs?
Old 2nd February 2008

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 Linear

i think it would be okay, especially for only $160...

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all

edit: oops just realized you have the sport combi... these are for the vert... sorry...
Old 4th February 2008

o by the way. If i was going to lower an 07' aero sportcombi, does anyone know what springs are out there and available???
Thanks
Old 4th February 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3SS Linear

Why not visit GenuineSaab? They have two sets of springs listed on their site, the H&R which give a decent drop and a Vogtland set with an even bigger drop. And last time i checked they were pretty cheap.

I went with a coilover setup so i could have the ability to raise or drop the car depending on where I'm planning on going because here in NYC dropping the car by 35mm would equal having to buy a new front spoiler every week with the quality of our roads.
Old 24th June 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 93 Aero, 2005 93 Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedudejeff
Why not visit GenuineSaab? They have two sets of springs listed on their site, the H&R which give a decent drop and a Vogtland set with an even bigger drop. And last time i checked they were pretty cheap.

I went with a coilover setup so i could have the ability to raise or drop the car depending on where I'm planning on going because here in NYC dropping the car by 35mm would equal having to buy a new front spoiler every week with the quality of our roads.
Hey cavedude, where did you find a coilover for the 93SS ?
Old 24th June 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 SC Aero '08 9-3 SS Aero AWD

Wow, I'd be careful! Although I live in PA, where truckers rate the roads towards the bottom of the list, I still worry about the low front end scraping on everything higher than a worm! Even a frost-heaved curb can cause a couple hundred dollars of damage.
I baby my "Snaab" like few others, but on Easter Sunday I was parking at the church and managed to bump the curb. Well, the mutterings out of my mouth should have sent me back to confession!

If you're REALLY careful, you might get by lowering the Aero suspension, but I'll bet you're back in a month asking about replacement front spoilers.
Old 24th June 2008
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJN
Wow, I'd be careful! Although I live in PA, where truckers rate the roads towards the bottom of the list, I still worry about the low front end scraping on everything higher than a worm! Even a frost-heaved curb can cause a couple hundred dollars of damage.
I baby my "Snaab" like few others, but on Easter Sunday I was parking at the church and managed to bump the curb. Well, the mutterings out of my mouth should have sent me back to confession!

If you're REALLY careful, you might get by lowering the Aero suspension, but I'll bet you're back in a month asking about replacement front spoilers.
Its already happened to me. My spoiler's has a scrape or two on the bottom, and I know exactly how you felt.
I also agree that PA roads suck. I work in PA. But I have a nice route to work through the valley, and would love to have a bit more responsiveness from the suspension.
Additionally, I want coilovers, so I can raise the ride during the winter, and lower it back down during the summer.
Old 25th June 2008

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9^3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedudejeff

Can you post pics? I'm looking at these...
Old 25th June 2008
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by titeness
Can you post pics? I'm looking at these...
Question. Most coilovers have a two springs (in series) around the shock/damper. I believe this is done so the change in ride height wont effect spring stiffness too much. According to the photo of the Megan set, there looks to be only one. Is this right ?
Old 25th June 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3SS Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABRoma
Hey cavedude, where did you find a coilover for the 93SS ?
sorry it took so long to reply...

I have a KW variant 2 set on my car. I got them through a friend of mine that owns a car parts store... he called up KW and set up an account with them and ordered me a set as well as another set for a friend of mine that has an A4.

i think they retail for about 1600 for variant 2 but so far they have been worth their weight in gold for me...

Still havent quite gotten the perfect settings down yet for my type of driving style... but little by little i think i'll tweak my way there...
Old 25th June 2008
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: None. ex-owner of an '06 9-3 Aero

You're a brave soul!

My Aero's suspension is completely stock and I have clearance problems on many driveways, parking ramps, etc. At half of my friends' homes I have to back out of their driveway or I'll darn near rip the lip spoiler off. Even being careful, that lip spoiler frequently looks like someone took and angle grinder to the front edge of it. Touch-up paint keeps it looking moderately decent, but it still ticks me off.

If you go for lowering it, great, but just understand what you're getting into as far as that front lip spoiler goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumsurfbum
Hey guys,

Advertisement