The car that started then died. Any ideas - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd January 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-3
Default Car turned on then ran 5 minutes and dies

Put a new battery in and started it right up and ran for 5 minutes
Then it died. Everything was responsive. The battery is brand new. I did get the ABS and Brake lights come on. It displayed 8.7 volts the whole time. No reading from the alternator. (like someone said i should have)

the Radio read "3555" no idea what that means.

Tried to start it again and no response. you can hear it trying to catch.

This was the trend before i changed the battery. Ran for 5 minutes then died. Foot on gas pedal made no difference.

Last edited by Giomeister; 23rd January 2008 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th January 2008

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 (X2), 2000 9-5 SE, 2000 SE WAGO

Radio displays the wrong code was entered... Push and hold the band button for about 5-10 sec to clear and re-enter, you might have to leave teh car on accessories for a hour to clear do to exceeding teh amount of wrong codes entered (3)..... Does the car turn over? If so and doesn't start you could have a elec. problem or fuel. Any lights on on the dash?

Need more info to help better.....

Josh
Old 24th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1995 Saab 9000 CSE 5 speed; Porsche 928
Garage

If you have anyone close to you with a known good DI, then try that first. Also, could be dirty fuel filter.

Klim
Old 24th January 2008
Saab Crazy

I have power all lights on the dash and internal lights are on. I try to start it you can hear it trying to catch but it does not turn over. When i had it running it was displaying 8.7 volts while running is that the alternator?

The DI is black it was swapped out from the original red. I am thinking he did not test it.

not to mention the DI wires (with the white clip) is loose and does not have the plastic slide i have seen on other harnesses.

the vacuum lines are loose in a few areas as well. I will replace the bushings and the air intake valve. I plan on doing air filter, fuel filter, and plugs and fluids.

Basic maintenance i know...but saabs are tempermental. So after this i will diagnose to see if the fuel pump is working. Testing the DI i am not so sure about.
Old 24th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1995 Saab 9000 CSE 5 speed; Porsche 928
Garage

DId you cycle the dashboard computer when you started her? Mine will show around 9V even if I press R button. You just have to cycle it(see temperature, average mpg etc). If it still show 9V then something wrong with your charging system. If it shows more like 13v then you are OK.

So, wait, does the starter and the engine turn, and the car doesn't catch, or the starter actually doesn't rotate?

Klim
Old 24th January 2008
Saab Crazy

it sounds the same way when i tried to restart, turn the key and it starts. Then try again, and hear it try to start, but nothing.

I am not sure how i read the Alternator amps.
Advertisement