Purchase dillemma . . . . - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd June 2003

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: '92 900S/'99,2000 9-3s/'97 9000 Aero 5sp
Default Purchase dillemma . . . .

Hi!
I think I'm going to buy a Saab Wagon. I am a wagon lover, and currently own a 1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon with 220,000 miles, and it's time for a change.
I have narrowed it down to the following two cars - listed in no particular order:

1) 1999 Saab 9-5 / black / 6 cylinder / automatic transmission / 62,500 miles / has the rolling cargo floor. From a local used Saab dealer who sells nothing but Saabs. He's been around for a long time and does a good business. He's only two blocks from my house. I've driven this car and it is beautiful. Faster than hell, smooth as silk. Sticker: $17,900.

2) 2000 Saab 9-5 / black / 2.3T four cylinder / automatic transmission / 39,000 miles. Has the ventilated seats - but no rolling cargo floor. From the local Saab Dealer. This one is Saab Certified. It has new tires, I think it even has new front rotors. I drove this one today to see if I would like the 4 cylinder. It was not as smooth and powerful as the 6, but I was still impressed. Sticker: $22,435. But the salesman, an acquaintance tells me $21,300 will buy it.

The dillemma is: which one would an unemotional Saab expert buy?

The pros for the 1999 are: less money, faster engine, local expert service. The cons are more miles on it, and the 6 is probably not as reliable as the 4, right?

The pros for the 2000 are: because it's Saab certified and has but 39,000 on it, it's under warranty until May 2006 - or 100,000 miles. This gives me peace of mind. I like the ventilated seats - although the fans are loud. The 4 cylinder engine is tried and true, right? The con is: It's on the upper end of what I would spend.

So - should a guy get the less expensive 1999, and buy some type of extended warranty? - Or just bite the bullet and get the 2000.

p.s.
Which ever one I get - should I put synthetic oil in?

Thanks very much - I hope to get many speedy replies - as the 2000 may not stay on the lot very long. The 1999 has been on the lot for months - and I can't figure that out.

RRR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd June 2003
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: '94 Aero, '95 Aero
Default as per your delima

wow...what alot of questions.....and the only thing that i can possibly help with is the warranty. be fore you go into the dealer to purchase the car, call his f & i manager...ask him WHAT warranty companies he sells.with that knowledge you should be able to call around to other SAAB repair places and ask about the warranty company....how the pay,are they worth the trouble..ect.
i do this for a living so i will tell you that the only real judge of a good warranty is the service manager and service writers. if they have had trouble they will tell you.conversly they will also tell of good experiences. you should expect to pay aprox 1200 to 1300 for a long range warranty.....it can buy a lot of "peace of mind" good luck, aj
Old 22nd June 2003

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                

Welcome to Saabcentral,
I personally would go for a 4 cylinder model,try and find an Aero if you feel the power on the 2.3T is not enough or you have the option of upgrading the power on a 2.3T. The 6 cyl is not a true Saab engine! it's a GM lump they modified,although they seem plentyfull on your side of the pond in the UK they are very rare and not a sought after model.
Warranty wise,yes you will be able to get the same cover on an older model so consider that also.
As for oil you should only use a Fully Synthetic,use Mobil One if available to you.
Old 22nd June 2003

Dear A J:
Thanks - I'll try to find out what warranty company they use - but excuse my ignorance, what is an F & I manager?

I was led to believe that with a Saab certified vehicle - it is the factory itself behind the warranty. True, or not true?

RRR
Old 24th June 2003
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                

I'd get the Saab Certified, for two reasons:
1) Saab is writing the warranty on their certfied cars - I have yet to deal with an outside warranty company that was easy to work with.
2)If not for reason 1, the four cylinder is equipped with a timing chain, eliminating an expensive wear item to be replaced on a regular basis. I know Saab was paying for the first change at 60K, but you should find out if the belt as in fact been changed, and if not, if the free change transfers to second owners. I hear they can be pricey to replace - so if you plan on keeping it as long as your volvo, you are looking at at least three more changes.

You can always order the sliding load floor as an accessory from a site sponsor.
Old 24th June 2003

I have the credit application from the dealer - and am prepared to take the plunge for the 2000 certified car.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

RRR
Old 2nd July 2003

Just an update-

I bought the car and I love it! I almost think it's too cool for me. It's quite a jump upwards from the '88 Volvo Wagon. I am getting lots of brake dust on the fronts - but I guess there's not much one can do about this. And that's my only complaint.

The dealer is great so far. I have to bring it in to have the rear seat air conditioner vents replaced - all under warranty. It's like having a new car - but - not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement