Aftermarket audio - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th January 2008

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
Default Aftermarket audio

I am not quite satisfied with the standard audio I have so I would like to install an aftermarket audio system. However I have some questions to those who have done that:
1. Where did you get a 2-din adapter. I have searched the web but found nothing.
2. What did you do with all that optical stuff and how did you get the "turn sound" as it in standard goes through the speakers.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY08 9-3 Aero 2.0T Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by snegohod4ik
I am not quite satisfied with the standard audio I have so I would like to install an aftermarket audio system. However I have some questions to those who have done that:
1. Where did you get a 2-din adapter. I have searched the web but found nothing.
2. What did you do with all that optical stuff and how did you get the "turn sound" as it in standard goes through the speakers.
Thanks.
Hi, just quickly reviewed your previous posts and I can't find any mention of exaclty which car you have, or which audio system you have fitted, so I am going to assume that you have a 9-3ss from somewhere between 2003-2006.
With thoses assumptions, here are some quick answers to your questions.
1. You won't find any double din adapters for the 2003-2006 9-3, the unit with the controls on is not double din.
2. Nothing can really be done with "all that optical stuff" it needs to stay connected.
Some further reading to explain the system and its drawbacks can be found in the Stereo Category of Saab 9 SS/CV/SC FAQ, Past Stickies & more
Hope this helps.
Steve.
2007 93convertible MY08 - bought 2010 2.5yrs old
Old 16th January 2008

I'll try to explain.
A have 03' 9-3 SS. I saw a link to this site in one massage here.
http://www.kalogeropoulos.gr/display...asp?ITMID=7275
Would like to make the same thing with mine and I wonder if it an aftermarket 2-din adapter or just specially made for this particularly car?
Old 16th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
I'll try to explain.
A have 03' 9-3 SS. I saw a link to this site in one massage here.
http://www.kalogeropoulos.gr/display...asp?ITMID=7275
Would like to make the same thing with mine and I wonder if it an aftermarket 2-din adapter or just specially made for this particularly car?

This isn't possible with your car I'm afraid. The car in the picture is an '07 model, which has a facelifted dash, new GM "blacktie" stereo system and no fibre optics to worry about. With your car being an '03, you have a multi-component system which is all connected by fibre optics, making upgrades a headache. Refer to stereo threads in the link I previously posted for more info, and here http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/gm900_93_index.php for some more relevant info.
Steve.
Old 16th January 2008

A....now I see... I just didn't know they decided not no use fiber-optic in new models. In fact it was quite stupid of them to do it in old models.
Old 16th January 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: SAAB 9-3SS MY2003

Quote:
Thanks.
I have an 03 as well and installed an aftermarket single din just recently. There is a way around the fibre-optic stuff such that you can remove the CD changer and free up a single DIN slot. Its a surprising quick mod. If you need a guide, just PM me your email add. After this mod, you will have a free single din slot and you can install a single DIN DVD player as well (those with te screen flipping up).
Old 17th January 2008

Than could you please send me a small guide with photos...
slednecks@yandex.ru
Can you see the screen well in such installation, as the gearbox is there?
Old 8th December 2008

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 08 9-3 2.0T
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedol

This isn't possible with your car I'm afraid. The car in the picture is an '07 model, which has a facelifted dash, new GM "blacktie" stereo system and no fibre optics to worry about. With your car being an '03, you have a multi-component system which is all connected by fibre optics, making upgrades a headache. Refer to stereo threads in the link I previously posted for more info, and here http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/gm900_93_index.php for some more relevant info.
Steve.
What kind of double DIN kit is that for the pioneer? And where did you get it? I can't seem to find one in the US.
Old 8th December 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 93 ARC

FOR THE 03 AND 04 OEM HU

The size is not double din - just under double din. You'd need to put a single-din unit in and construct a kit, or cut off the bottom of the heater vents and you can fit a double din.
Your turn singals and system sounds will not work anymore
Miles to Date: 178,000 ish No major problems, Replaced My 1st set of breaks @ 130,000, they lasted for ever. Door handels are now grey, badges are chipped, rubber inside is pealing bad and im on my 4th windshield. Only real problem was a new gas cap and wheel bearing and ac blower. Also dealer replaced broken front springs. SWEET!!!
Old 11th December 2008

I have an 08 9-3 SS. The only double-din kits that look good are the Kenwood CAW and Autoleads DFP ones. But unfortunately, neither are sold in the US. I looked at the Saturn Aura/Chevy Malibu ones that are available here, but they look upside down and kinda ugly!
Old 11th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thambikutty
I have an 08 9-3 SS. The only double-din kits that look good are the Kenwood CAW and Autoleads DFP ones. But unfortunately, neither are sold in the US. I looked at the Saturn Aura/Chevy Malibu ones that are available here, but they look upside down and kinda ugly!
The Kenwood CAW 1270-01 ios the kit you want, though it is marketed under different names and part numbers, The Kenwood is a complete kit including new double din cage to fit inside the new fascia plate, as the original Kenwood double din cage is too big to fit, don't know if it's the same with the OEM Pioneer cage, or other makes.
Read through the first part of My 2007 Sportwagon Aftermarket Audio Install for a better description.

I know that when Brunp bought the parts for his Pioneer install, he had to buy from Europe and incurr the extra cost for shipping to the Canada, you may still have to do this -to the States instead of Canada though.
Old 26th January 2009

I thought I received all the items to complete the installation, but the phonocar adapter doesn't seem to plug in to the back of the Kenwood DNX8120.

Any ideas?
Old 26th January 2009

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3 Aero
Default DDIN in 04 Aero

I am currently undertaking this project of putting a DDIN in my 2004 Aero. Let me first say that it is not an easy task. I am finding out a lot about the electrical system in these cars, and it is a beast!! I will hopefully have pics to put up in a couple of weeks about the steps needed to perform this...

N-Flyte
Old 8th September 2011

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 linear
Default please help me out

just bought a 2003 9-3 linear... i want to install an aftermarket audio system because my cd player broke... is it a single din or double din... are there any wiring harnesses i can buy that will hookup to an aftermarket deck... and where could i find the faceplate and addapter kit.. please help me out
Old 9th September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny12926 View Post
just bought a 2003 9-3 linear... i want to install an aftermarket audio system because my cd player broke... is it a single din or double din... are there any wiring harnesses i can buy that will hookup to an aftermarket deck... and where could i find the faceplate and addapter kit.. please help me out
Basically "you can't" is the answer to all those questions, except the actual adding of an aftermarket headunit.
2003-2006 uses fibre optics and is a multi component system, the faceplate you see with the audio controls on it is called the ICM and is only one of the components in the system, also it's an integeral part of the cars computer system and generaates the cars warning sounds and indicator chimes and must stay connected within the car for it to function properly.

You can go aftermarket by putting a single din headunit where the CD slot is, but this has to be a standalone system which requires new wiring and there's no harness' or faceplates available.
The long awaited instructions for installing a aftermarket sound system.
My New Indash Sat Nav/DVD System 2003 9-3 Aero Thank You SaabCentral
Double Din Pioneer-- 05' Linear

These will give you some idea of what's involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement