steering wheel Lock - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th January 2008

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03 SAAB 9-3 LINEAR
Default steering wheel Lock

Team,

2003 Saab 9-3

1 out of 10 starts, the steering wheel lock will not disengage. I remove the key turn the wheel try to start and nothing. 15 to 20 tries before it finally takes. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone had this happen to thier 9-3? Can this do any damage if I avoid the stealership any longer?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th January 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

CIM, Column Integration Module. I've had one replaced under CPO, the Original owner had one done too. About a grand if your OOW. Can't do damage but gets damn inconvenient and may ultimately fail altogether.
Old 15th January 2008

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03 SAAB 9-3 LINEAR

thanks for the quick response and helpful response luckily I have a warranty now I question how long this will take the dealership
Old 15th January 2008

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93 Vector

I had simialr prob a bit back. I had the Ignition switch replaced(where the key plugs in) and the resolved it.
Old 16th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS 2.0t Vector, Steel Grey (OOW)

Yes I've had it too. Both failing to unlock and failing to lock.

CIM, ignition key switch or steering column lock (SCL) are the usual suspects. SCL seemed to be the culprit of choice a while back as dealers over here were replacing several a week.

You can reset the SCL module when the lock refuses to disengage by pulling the relevent fuses in the fusebox at the end of the dash - leave them out for a good minute or so. If that doesn't work then disconnect the battery and reconnect after a minute (this is what the recovery services do in the UK if all else fails - don't ask me how I know )

As yours is intermittent it sounds like one of the above components needs replacing...
Old 16th January 2008
Saabista

I dropped off at noon, got a loaner and picked up at noon the next day for a CIM replacement. Probably can be done in a couple of hours...really don't know.
Old 17th January 2008

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-7X previous car 2003 9-3

mine has done that for over a year now. it's out of warranty but i found out a way to keep it from happening. when i park, i make sure the steering wheel is straight, then i put the car in reverse, move the car for about an inch or two and then put it in park. works like a charm but it might take a couple of tries to master it. good luck!

btw, if it locks, just move the steering wheel a little bit a time, an inch to the left, try starting, if no luck try to the right and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechicdl
Team,

2003 Saab 9-3

1 out of 10 starts, the steering wheel lock will not disengage. I remove the key turn the wheel try to start and nothing. 15 to 20 tries before it finally takes. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone had this happen to thier 9-3? Can this do any damage if I avoid the stealership any longer?

Thanks!!
Old 17th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS 2.0t Vector, Steel Grey (OOW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmotion
btw, if it locks, just move the steering wheel a little bit a time, an inch to the left, try starting, if no luck try to the right and so on.
It's certainly worth a try, but this doesn't always work. The steering column lock module will sometimes just "crash" if it can't unlock the steering, and the only way to reset it is to disconnect the power to it to reset it.
Old 17th January 2008
Saabista

here is a technique I got over the phone from Saab Road Service while stranded one night with CIM failure.

While sitting in the car Lock the doors with the FOB, wait 10 seconds, Unlock all Doors with FOB, Insert Key, At the same time slowly turn the key and put pressure to the left on the steering wheel. That worked a couple of times before I got to the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement