60,000 mile tune up is $730... Holly cra$ man - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th January 2008

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: SAAB 04 9-3 ARC
Default 60,000 mile tune up is $730... Holly cra$ man

My car is approaching 60k miles and I called Santa Ana SAAB to get an estimate and they told me it's $730, just what the heck do they change in there that it costs so much?

I hope it is worth it, I also think that they are charging me for the loaner car that they provide. I wonder how much is the built in cost for the loaner car, at least I hope they give me a SAAB loaner, or I'll be bit$hing and moaning again for the next 1 year.

Will they do somwething about my key, because lately the key doesn't work properly, it doesn't open the door all the time. It is so embarassing when I have to manually open the door and the alarm goes off. It's been happening quite a lot almost every other day or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th January 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

I'd do a search here as there was thead in the last several days on this.
Unless they are doing plugs, air filter, cabin filter, oil change, serpentine belt, and tranny fluid, although still high, just give them a list of these things and see what that price would be.

These posted recommended services are absolutely outrageous. I guess people pay them though.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 15th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnndry
My car is approaching 60k miles and I called Santa Ana SAAB to get an estimate and they told me it's $730, just what the heck do they change in there that it costs so much?

I hope it is worth it, I also think that they are charging me for the loaner car that they provide. I wonder how much is the built in cost for the loaner car, at least I hope they give me a SAAB loaner, or I'll be bit$hing and moaning again for the next 1 year.

Will they do somwething about my key, because lately the key doesn't work properly, it doesn't open the door all the time. It is so embarassing when I have to manually open the door and the alarm goes off. It's been happening quite a lot almost every other day or so.
The list of what should be covered in the 60k is in the handbook. Anything above that is not scheduled maint, but the dealer creating work and money.
The key. Did you ever get yours replaced as part of the campaign. If you key number (you can see it when you pull the metal key out) starts with a 236 or 231 or something then it is an old one and liable to go faulty.
http://www.saabforums.com/recalls-an...312429/TSB.htm

Have you ever replaced the battery in the key?

Last edited by SMHarman; 15th January 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 15th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
The list of what should be covered in the 60k is in the handbook. Anything above that is not scheduled maint, but the dealer creating work and money.
The key. Did you ever get yours replaced as part of the campaign. If you key number (you can see it when you pull the metal key out) starts with a 236 or 231 or something then it is an old one and liable to go faulty.

Have you ever replaced the battery in the key?
I have not replaced the battery in the key as it is less than a year, I bought the car in March of 07. The number starts with 538 on mine.
Old 15th January 2008

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2009 93 SC, 2000 93 Viggen

I just dropped off my 2006 93 Combi (2.0T) for the 24k KM oil-change...C$480 +tx! Now that was a lot more than oil change, but I asked they scale the service back to oil change, rotate tires and check brakes. I can hardly imagine at that service interval on a practically new car it needs more than that.

Upside, they gave me an 07 93 SS as a loaner, I got to experience the newer dash config and would have to agree that interior noise level seems improved (although I am comparing to an SC, which I think may get more cabin noise because of the wagon)

LD
Old 15th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: former SAAB owner

I hope they did more than check the brakes for that price. An oil change at my dealer is C$125, so $40 to rotate the tires leaves $315 to check the brakes. Even a brake clean and lube for all four should be less than that.
Old 15th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen
I hope they did more than check the brakes for that price. An oil change at my dealer is C$125, so $40 to rotate the tires leaves $315 to check the brakes. Even a brake clean and lube for all four should be less than that.
They were going to charge me $480, I told them to only change the oil, rotate tires and check brakes. I am expecting less than $200, unless the brakes need work and they shouldn't need pads/rotors.
Old 15th January 2008

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkydismal
They were going to charge me $480, I told them to only change the oil, rotate tires and check brakes. I am expecting less than $200, unless the brakes need work and they shouldn't need pads/rotors.
Just for reference, the local dealer in Atlanta charges $83 for an oil change, + $10 for the tire rotation/brake check (though the latter charge is w/ a coupon...not sure what the regular charge is).
Old 15th January 2008

Just got the call, they charged me C$140 + tax. As suspected, my brakes were fine, all of the other "stuff" they wanted to charge me for was not necessary.
Old 15th January 2008

Back to my issue , is $730 reasonable for the 60K tune up. Can this be done somewhere else? I'm worried about the belt tensioners and what not.....
Old 15th January 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 SportCombi 60th Anniversary

Not uncommon. A friend just had a 60K tuneup on his Chevy SUV for $950. Routine stuff only. Hourly labor + parts adds up quick these days.

This is not a Saab-only phenomenon. A good alternative is a non-dealer independent Saab shop. Prices usually more reasonable.
Old 15th January 2008

Just drop off the car and I thought during the 60K tune up they fix the tensioner or something but the tech says no. So, it's basically oil change and top off fluid with spark plugs and filters, still it's very expensive.

I got a loaner 07 2.0T and man it looks cheap, it looks cheaper than my 04 2.0T. I can hardly read the radio display because of the reflection. They did add the volume level that I don't have on my 04, wish there was one.
Old 15th January 2008

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3

I took my wifes 9-3 in for the 5k service and they gave me a loaner SUV, why I don't know only took an hour and a half. When I went to pick it up I was reaching for my wallet and the service manager said don't worry about it we got it. I thought wow this is what makes me happy to have bouoght a SAAB. I guess that is a good plug for INDY SAAB
Old 15th January 2008

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 SS Linear

freed929, All new Saabs (US) come with 3 Year, 36 K free maintenance. Effectively 2 oil changes and 30 K maintenance. It was nice that they gave you a loaner on a short service visit like that.

Bryan
Old 15th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3SS Linear

Uhm.... why are you complaining...? You went to the stealership so chances are you've never changed oil in a car yourself and you assume going to a dealer over a corner garage means better service just pay the 700+ bucks and be happy about it.
Old 16th January 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedudejeff
Uhm.... why are you complaining...? You went to the stealership so chances are you've never changed oil in a car yourself and you assume going to a dealer over a corner garage means better service just pay the 700+ bucks and be happy about it.
Cave,

What help is this???

I've changed the oil in my cars numerous times. Our Saab 9-3SS are not the same.
The dealer can often offer good competitive services...
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 16th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3SS Linear

Well lets just say that threads like this pop up like weeds here on the forum with everyone complaining about how expensive the services are... when the dealership has a sign up in the service area that states "Hourly Labor rate - $100+ hr" what do you guys seriously expect... anyone thats ever been in any type of car accident knows that insurance companies pay 35 per hour labor which is the industry standard rate for mechanical work on autos.

And as for the dealership offering competetive services... I'd love to know where exactly is this because here in NYC i have been to every single stealership within a 50 mile radius (which is quite a few) and they have all been staffed by techs that are absolute retards. If it wasnt for the fact that all these issues have been warranty related and SAAB requires me to go to a stealer... i would never have anything done by them....

I mean come on people 100 bux for a oil change with MOBIL 1? the oil will run you 25 bux at retail plus filter comes out to around 32 bux... that means youre paying the stealership tech 68 beans to lift your car, pull the oil plug, sit around scratching his balls for 10 minutes while the oil drains, replace the plug, lower the car, replace the filter, and pour in new oil, all of which takes 15 minutes or less.
Old 16th January 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by freed929
I took my wifes 9-3 in for the 5k service and they gave me a loaner SUV, why I don't know only took an hour and a half. When I went to pick it up I was reaching for my wallet and the service manager said don't worry about it we got it. I thought wow this is what makes me happy to have bouoght a SAAB. I guess that is a good plug for INDY SAAB

Duh! Free service for 36K.
Old 16th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 Aero Wagon BCB St. 1

I have done the 60K mile service on my car. The hardest part of the whole thing was changing the cabin filter. Dealer here in ATL wanted $1150 to do the 60K mile service. I said no thank you and bought the spark plugs, oil filter, and belt from them. I got all my fluids from Autozone and air and cabin filters from thesaabsite. I saved myself around $900 doing it myself and it only took me about 2 hours from start to finish. It's really easy and if you can't do it yourself it's a job that even a mechanic at a tire place can do for you. I know at the Goodyear place down the street from my house they will do the labor for $50 on changing spark plugs and fluids so even if you can't do it yourself buying the parts from the dealer and then having someone else do the work will save you a LOT of money.
Old 16th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 93 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedudejeff
anyone thats ever been in any type of car accident knows that insurance companies pay 35 per hour labor which is the industry standard rate for mechanical work on autos.
Body work costs less than mechnical work, according to my insurance company which in this area pays $45/hour for body work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement