Rear shelf speaker upgrade possible? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-08

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: MY2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero 230hp
Question Rear shelf speaker upgrade possible?

Hey guys

I need your help because I fear I might have been stupid and have spent good money for nothing.

My 2001 Aero no longer has the stock audio system. Since the previous owner changed it, I don't know what he did to it except for change the headunit for an Alpine one, mount a cd-changer and install a DVD-nav.

Here's the problem. I bought a set of 6x9 Hertz speakers for the back shelf, but when I wanted to connect them I noticed the wires under the shelf had no power. If I remember correctly, that means it's probably an AS1 system in my car (although I have 3 speakers in the dash and 4 in the doors)...

Can I fix this? What do I need to do to get these speakers to work? I'd really appreciate your advice.

P.S.: please reply in "newbie"-mode because I'm no expert at all :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-08
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

If you have AS1 then you probably need to junk the standard head unit and opt for an aftermarket head unit/amp combination. I had the poor sounding AS1 myself, i installed an Alpine head unit with wheel controls, JBL 6x9's in the rear shelf and a 12" Kenwood sub run by a 4 channel JBL amp. DO a search for "Alpine" and topic started by "Kermit" for full details and more options.

Old 12-01-08
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit
DO a search for "Alpine" and topic started by "Kermit" for full details and more options.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Alpine

I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 14-01-08

Thx for the reply guys... I'm a bit late to answer.

The thing is that the last owner already fitted a nice Alpine headunit (with fold-out screen for nav). Since he did some work on the audio system, I figured the wires which I found underneath the shelf would be hooked up to it.
However, when I took a voltmeter to check if they were live, they didn't give a reading.

A friend told me they're not supposed to give a reading and that I should just hook up the speakers and see... but somehow that seems a bit odd.

I'll definately check out the thread you linked Chris (thx for that), but if I gather correctly it's fair to assume the wires (since they are present) will work, right?
If not, can I hook them up myself? (bearing in mind that I am an electronics "noob" )

Old 14-01-08
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 2.3T HOT w\Sport Package

A regular voltmeter will not display anything with audio frequencies being upto about 20000 (hz) hertz, even in AC mode they are meant to check house hold voltages in the 50 to 60hz frequency.

Plug in a speaker with the same impedance ( 4 to 8 ohms) and you'll know right away if it's good or not.

Regards,
cse_20
Old 14-01-08

Quote:

Plug in a speaker with the same impedance ( 4 to 8 ohms) and you'll know right away if it's good or not.
That's exactly what my buddy said. To think he might actually be right about something for once...

Ok, now I'm getting scared

Anyway, will try that first thing tomorrow afternoon (too dark outside now)

Thx again, mates!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement