P0033 Turbo charger bypass valve control circuit - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th January 2008

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 Linear
Exclamation P0033 Turbo charger bypass valve control circuit

Im getting an error code as follows-- P0033 Turbo charger bypass valve control circuit. Im trying to find out what the cause and fix for this code is, if anyone has any idea, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 Aero BSR Stage 1 & JR Filter

Have a look at this to see if it can help you in any way.......

Old 11th January 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Nice reply, Ambisaab!
Old 12th January 2008
Banned

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03' Saab 9-3SS linear

now give me that program
Old 25th August 2008

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 SS Linear

I have the same code on my car right now, shop said that some kind of vacuum wasn't vacuuming and wanted $500 to fix it. He said it's not a single part, it's a kit he'd have to order. Limp mode sucks
Old 25th August 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Some related pictures in this thread:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ypass+plumbing
Old 25th August 2008

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 SS Linear

This code has been on my car for a couple months and am now used to "limp mode" but is this going to damage my car if i dont fix it soon?
Old 30th September 2009

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 SS

Where did you get this program? and is it available to the public?

[/QUOTE]
Old 5th February 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 93 1.8t

Do i find the membrane from the Charger Bypass Valve?
Is there a part number for this part?
Old 8th February 2010

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T

There are threads concerning bypass valve failure and repair for the 9-3. Specifically the bypass valves on the 9-3 Linear with the Garret turbo. If you do "thread search" (search 'bypass valve') you should be able to find ALL the info on this you need. It's a good/bad news situation. Bad news; It's an expensive part @ $300.00, Good news; very easy repair once you have the part.

PS- i bought that program ( called WIS ) for $2 on ebay. One the best buys I've made for my car.
Old 8th February 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 93 1.8t

Thank you very much! I have opened already the assembly.
Old 3rd April 2011

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3
Default Turbo Bypass Control Valve Circut Failure- Help! please!

Hi fellow Saab owners,

I recently took my 2005 saab 9-3 through NJ inspection and failed because of error code P0033. Ive researched this online and found that this code stands for Turbo Bypass Control Valve Circut failure. I have researched the part on line, but im confused as if that would even be an issue.

My question is really, if I order a replacement Bypass Controll Valve will this solve my problem? My concern is w/the word circut? Im thinking that this may be a totaly different problem, and replacing a part will not resolve this issue..

Is something like this a fixable problem by me?, or would I be better off finding a pro to do it for me?.. Of course money is an issue as I dont want to spend like 700-800 dollars through my dealer.

Can the guys here help me?....
Thanks in advance!.. Mike... Confused in NJ..
Old 3rd April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9 2.0T Custom E85 tune by JZW
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator07424 View Post
Hi fellow Saab owners,

I recently took my 2005 saab 9-3 through NJ inspection and failed because of error code P0033. Ive researched this online and found that this code stands for Turbo Bypass Control Valve Circut failure. I have researched the part on line, but im confused as if that would even be an issue.

My question is really, if I order a replacement Bypass Controll Valve will this solve my problem? My concern is w/the word circut? Im thinking that this may be a totaly different problem, and replacing a part will not resolve this issue..

Is something like this a fixable problem by me?, or would I be better off finding a pro to do it for me?.. Of course money is an issue as I dont want to spend like 700-800 dollars through my dealer.

Can the guys here help me?....
Thanks in advance!.. Mike... Confused in NJ..
Wow old thread....

Anyway it may be a simple bypass valve replacement that can fix it. But first I would check all of your vacuum hoses as that may be the only problem. do you have the big T or small t? (210hp or 175hp?) The reason I ask, if you do find out it is the bypass valve, the stock one is like $300, but I bought a forge after market one (that is rebuild-able) for $135 shipped, and if you are the least big handy its easy to install. its 3 10mm bolts to disconnect, and 3 5mm allen screws for the new bypass valve. Check out this thread upgraded bypass valve if you decide you have to replace the BPV. But first. Check those vacuum lines!
Old 3rd April 2011

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3
Default 2005 9-3 Turbo Bypass Control Valve

Awesome thanks Saab guy for the response.. I currently own the 2.0t not the 2.0T... I will def check out the hoses before I do anything else, spunds like a logical place to start.. I do have a question though... I did a little research on Turbo Bypass Control Valves and I found an aftermarket part made by Bosch for $45 and the Saab certified for $75... This worries me because of you mentioning the price of the replacement part you purchased being almost $300... I hope im looking at the right part, the one I was looking at almost looks like a sprinkler head w/two spots for hoses at each end.. I will try to post a picture of what I was looking at, im sure that will help you a bit...

Thanks again for the help...
Mike... Confused in NJ
Old 3rd April 2011
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9 2.0T Custom E85 tune by JZW
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator07424 View Post
Awesome thanks Saab guy for the response.. I currently own the 2.0t not the 2.0T... I will def check out the hoses before I do anything else, spunds like a logical place to start.. I do have a question though... I did a little research on Turbo Bypass Control Valves and I found an aftermarket part made by Bosch for $45 and the Saab certified for $75... This worries me because of you mentioning the price of the replacement part you purchased being almost $300... I hope im looking at the right part, the one I was looking at almost looks like a sprinkler head w/two spots for hoses at each end.. I will try to post a picture of what I was looking at, im sure that will help you a bit...

Thanks again for the help...
Mike... Confused in NJ
This is what I was referring too bypass valve Pic

Which can be found on this page at the very top Bypass Valve

But right now we only know that it works on the big T. There are some guys with the small t turbo that are currently trying to find a solution as well in the performance section. Good luck, hopefully its just a faulty hose!
Old 25th May 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                

Hey all, haven't been on this forum in ages. But it seems as if everyone is getting the same code. I have the P0033 code.

I don't know where the search feature went on this site but all I can find is information on the 2.0T nothing on the little t.

Am I stuck with the OEM option that is $300+ or is there any threads with any 2.0t guys successfully using an aftermarket BPV or even BOV. I checked all the hoses etc, all are fine, I'm sure it's the BPV.

Thanks!
Old 1st November 2011
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear

I'm hitting this now with my 2.0t - so far my car has thrown the code twice and I am able to clear it on the fly via Scangauge (limp mode sucks!!) but I'm going to need to fix it. I'd like to go rebuilt if possible, since eventually I'll be upgrading from the Garrett turbo to the TD-04 (I should have gone with an Aero, dang it!) so I want to avoid spending $300 for a short-term fix.

Does anyone know the source (and part #) for the parts gator07424 mentioned? A $75 rebuilt is a heck of a lot better than $275-$300 for a part that will be thrown out by spring time.
Old 6th November 2011
Saab Lunatic

Anyone? I hit a condition tonight where it threw a code, so I cleared it but I still had no boost until I pulled the negative battery cable for a few minutes.
Old 6th November 2011

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 Arc

Last year I experienced turbo flutter followed by P0033 and limp home mode. Pulling the negative would reset the code but the car would intermittently run right or throw the code again. I replaced (unnecessarily) the turbo bypass valve diaphragm from http://www.vivaperformance.com/mitsu...v-upgrade-kit/ because the problem continued. (Note that I have an Arc and did not want to replace the entire turbo bypass valve. This diaphragm does not work with the Linear turbo.) My old diaphragm was not torn and appeared to be in good condition as did the spring, but I replaced it anyway since I already had the new parts.

I then replaced the boost control valve (part # 12787706) in ctrlz's picture:

This solved the problem. The solenoid inside it was sticking and causing the code.

Do not rule out the solenoid as a culprit, especially if the turbo bypass diaphragm appears to be in good condition.
Old 6th November 2011
Saab Lunatic

Thanks, I'll try that. I have checked the vacuum lines and they seem fine. I'll pick up that valve at Shaw Saab (aka saabpartsusa.com ) tomorrow, and swap it out at the office.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement