Noise When Turning Wheel - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-01-08

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-3 Aero BSR
Default Noise When Turning Wheel

So I just noticed that I am getting a noise, audible only at low speeds, when I turn the wheel. The sound is hard to describe, its a reverberation of sorts, almost a "twang" like when I turn past a certain point a muffled guitar string has been plucked. I can reproduce it predictably at a stand-still if I turn the wheel past a certyain point. The noise is definitely getting worse. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-08
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

My .02 Says Steering Column, there was an occasional issue with them on 03's
Old 09-01-08
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 04 SS Aero 6MT

same thing going on with my car right now, slow speeds or at a stop and if i turn the wheel back and forth it sounds like something "ping-ing" in the front end. deffinatly not the steering column (atleast before it passes thru the firewall). the dealer says it's due to the cold and is the coil springs twisting in their purches. i call b.s.

post up anything you find out about it, my issue seems to be worse when it's cold or before the car warms up.

TurboNines <--check it out
Old 09-01-08

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-3 Aero BSR

Yeah, I would buy the "cold coil spring" excuse except that it has been almost 60 here in Vermont over the past 3 days, and it is still terrible. Mine by the way is an 04 9-3 Aero, 6MT.
Old 09-01-08
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS (Linear)

I know exactly what you guys are talking about, It happened to me. There's a TSB on this issue for the 2003's.

Okay, here's what you do, you're not going to believe it:

The bolt that pinches the steering collumn to the rack and pinion is the culprit. All you have to do is simply take the bolt out (it's tighter than hell), clean up the threads (either with a die, or I just sprayed some WD-40 on it and used my finger nail for a couple of minutes, add a little loc-tite and re-install it.

I know, it makes no sense at all and I had taken off the airbag, inspected everything in the collumn thinking it was the CIM, broken piece of plastic stuck somewhere, or a tired bearing, and after I found the TSB and cleaned the bolt it was back to new. I still to this day have no idea why that bolt makes the wheel "creak" on turns and when rocking it, but that's exactly what it was.
Old 09-01-08
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 04 SS Aero 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrOlDoG8
I found the TSB and cleaned the bolt it was back to new.
Link to said TSB?

TurboNines <--check it out
Old 10-01-08
Banned

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03' Saab 9-3SS linear

Im also having the same problem with my saab as posted before, I also thought it was due to the cold weather. So thank you for making this thread, now I have an idea what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrOlDoG8
The bolt that pinches the steering collumn to the rack and pinion is the culprit. All you have to do is simply take the bolt out (it's tighter than hell), clean up the threads (either with a die, or I just sprayed some WD-40 on it and used my finger nail for a couple of minutes, add a little loc-tite and re-install it.

On that note, do you have a picture / diagram of what "bolt" you removed??

Highly appreciated, since it is very annoying to hear, and I was abit worried thinking, I had some type of suspension issue..
Old 10-01-08

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 SS Linear Drv&Touring Pack

I also had the same problem.
But I replace thrust bearing and support bearing (part numbers 9191181 and 24435884 or 13188763). As my mechanic told me the reason of that nois was broken ball in the bearing...
Now its OK & I'm driving in minus 27 Celcius - no "ping" sound.
Old 10-01-08
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS (Linear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaLcoughliN
On that note, do you have a picture / diagram of what "bolt" you removed??
Well I would go take a picture but right now I'm on crutches (skiing accident), so soon as I'm back at it I will. However to describe it, it's the bolt at the base of the steering collumn that goes through the collumn itself. It's very close to the "firewall" and was either a 10 or 13mm (I'm almost positive, it's been since last July when I fixed it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjT817
Link to said TSB?
I had a friend/technician who works at PepBoys use Mitchell on Demand and fax me it, but I know I've seen it listed at AllData.com. you have to pay for it to open it up but I know it's there. I'm pretty sure this is the number: 641-2468

You could go to a PepBoys or some other repair facility, and have them look it up for you, and they will probably just give you the copy if you ask or throw them a couple of bucks.
http://alldata.com/TSB/52/03524249.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by furstwinhall
Yeah, I would buy the "cold coil spring" excuse except that it has been almost 60 here in Vermont over the past 3 days, and it is still terrible. Mine by the way is an 04 9-3 Aero, 6MT.
Sadly I also ran into this issue last winter as well. This was literally the front springs moving around in the struts. It only happened when it was cold and the car was on dry ground while the suspension was wet (if you pulled into a garage after driving on wet/snowy roads). If you wiggled the steering wheel it made a huge "twanging" noise that transmitted through the cabin very noticeably. You can check this by having someone get in the car while it's running and wiggle the steering wheel while you reach your hand into the wheel well and hold the spring, you can feel it slightly "snapping" around as the wheel goes back and forth. So I got new springs and dampers (H&R 30mm w/ Koni FSD's), and so far, so good. I had no idea of how to fix that issue, and my struts were shot so I just junked 'em.
Old 10-01-08
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 93 ARC

Try not using you turn single when you turn and listen for the sound. Mine turned out to be the a fitting that reset the turn single. If no sound it might be a easy fix.
Miles to Date: 178,000 ish No major problems, Replaced My 1st set of breaks @ 130,000, they lasted for ever. Door handels are now grey, badges are chipped, rubber inside is pealing bad and im on my 4th windshield. Only real problem was a new gas cap and wheel bearing and ac blower. Also dealer replaced broken front springs. SWEET!!!
Old 10-01-08
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Sounds like your steering box as already stated. It might be the fix referred to or something else within the box. My 03' was doing the same thing after 85,000 or so miles.
It's certainly nothing to worry about.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 11-01-08
Banned

too many ppl throwing "shots in the dark" like answers.

My car only makes a rubbing noise when turning the wheel at low speeds.

I cant really check much out right now due to my broken hand. but if the noise gets worse i know its serious. I think it maybe my winter tires gripping the road aggressively on dry terrain. Ill check out the springs, and the steering components this weekend.,

Definately not the steering box as someone has mentioned, thats just rediculous. I'll see if i can find what it is and keep it posted.
Old 11-01-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: Audi A6 ex9-3 Hirsch CV 93t 900s

I have this noise too.

I had the car looked at by Saab when it was last in for a service and they did do something with a bolt which was interfering with the steering rack (replaced the year before). It didnt cure it and was was then told that it was 99% likely to be the strut mount bearings. It was booked to go back in for the mounts to be replaced, but i had to cancel and havent got round to rebooking it.

The twang has also got louder since it started.
Old 11-01-08
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 03 SS, BSR PPC, Magnaflow exhaust

(JWLANKY is correct, (sorry just read your post afterwards).
If the noise just started, then I hate to tell you it's not a simple 'steering column lubrication' fix. Which really doesn't make much sense, b/c you would get the noise throughout the entire rotation of the wheel if that was the case.

If the 'twanging' coil noise happens through a particular rotation in the steering wheel, such as through 12 oclock only, then I hate to tell you but it might be your Strut Mounts. Earlier models of the 2003+ 93 didn't have a water guard around the strut mount. This causes water to get in and over time prematurely wear out the mount. ~2-4 years is the time it could go. Notice how no other participant in this thread has anything newer than an '04?

Each part ~$120, plus installation (2.5 hrs) and alignment. (plus water gaurd, $6)

Hope this helps for those still looking for the source of the 'steering/spring' noise.

Last edited by MooF; 11-01-08 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-01-08
Banned

moof you seem to have given a valid point. seems to make the most sense as of now. Hope your right

mine only makes noise when turning slighlty, not through the entire rotation of the wheel.

if the wheel is straight and i turn the wheen 90 degrees it makes it then i turn to 180 it goes away. same vise versa when turning left

your talking about the strut mount where the strut is placed in?
its the part at the bottom thats attached to the steering knuckle housing?

or you talking about the top end?

Last edited by michaLcoughliN; 11-01-08 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-01-08
Saab Lunatic

Insulator & Bearing, parts: 305933389, 13188763, see the diagram here:
http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93fron...sion2003on.htm
Old 11-01-08
Banned

The parts circled moof?? (this is more clear for me) just verify
Old 11-01-08
Saab Lunatic

Looks good to me.
Old 11-01-08
Banned

thrust bearing, support bearing and the bellow (the protective boot)

ill just replace that hole assy. or i might way until i do my suspension upgrade.

We will see. Or should I be concerned about safety issue?
Old 09-02-08
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: NO MORE SAAB FOR ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by furstwinhall
So I just noticed that I am getting a noise, audible only at low speeds, when I turn the wheel. The sound is hard to describe, its a reverberation of sorts, almost a "twang" like when I turn past a certain point a muffled guitar string has been plucked. I can reproduce it predictably at a stand-still if I turn the wheel past a certyain point. The noise is definitely getting worse. Any ideas?
Crap, my car started doing this twang at low speeds as well. Any definitive answer to this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement