BSR Stage 1 vs Stage 3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 05 93 2.0T and 04 BMW M3
Default BSR Stage 1 vs Stage 3

I am about to purchase a BSR stage 1. I would love to upgrade to the Stage 3 eventually, but would that mean that i have to repurchase a tuner and also buy all extra parts, or can i just but the extra parts and use the same tuner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th January 2008
Banned

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03' Saab 9-3SS linear

if you buy the BSR PPC unit stage 1, and later want to upgrade.

You download the software for stage 3 via internet for a "x amount of $"
and buy all the essentials for the stage 3.
Old 8th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Vtuner Stage 0 Rev 2.0
Garage

The stage 3 software is either 200 or 300. It has been mentioned here before.
Old 15th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3SS Linear

Youre better off just waiting to save upo some more dough and just going straight to stage 3. While there is a difference going from stock to stage 1 it isnt THAT big... you will notice a little bit more power on tap... but the difference from stock to stage 3 is mind boggling.
Old 16th January 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3 Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedudejeff
Youre better off just waiting to save upo some more dough and just going straight to stage 3. While there is a difference going from stock to stage 1 it isnt THAT big... you will notice a little bit more power on tap... but the difference from stock to stage 3 is mind boggling.
How many people with the 2.0T actually have gone to a Stage 3? I don't see that many posting with it. For that matter has anyone with the V6 Aero done a Stage 3?
Old 16th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Im running a stage 3 linear right now and looking back at it i would now just go straight from stock to stage 3. the stage 1 on the 210hp motor is only a 16% increase over stock and stage 3 puts you at 30% over stock... plus if he's planning on going to stage 3 anyway... why pay another 200 beans to later move up to stage 3 from stage 1 on top of paying for the downpipe and cat back.

If i were you id do some searching around town since the cost of the downpipe and catback is pretty steep if you go with one from bsr. i had mine fabricated by a friend so all i had to do is buy materials so that saved me about 1200 vs buying the same bsr equivalents.
Old 16th January 2008
Banned

Quote:
Im running a stage 3 linear right now and looking back at it i would now just go straight from stock to stage 3. the stage 1 on the 210hp motor is only a 16% increase over stock and stage 3 puts you at 30% over stock... plus if he's planning on going to stage 3 anyway... why pay another 200 beans to later move up to stage 3 from stage 1 on top of paying for the downpipe and cat back.

If i were you id do some searching around town since the cost of the downpipe and catback is pretty steep if you go with one from bsr. i had mine fabricated by a friend so all i had to do is buy materials so that saved me about 1200 vs buying the same bsr equivalents.
your buddy should make more and sell them .
Old 16th January 2008

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 ARC

Quote:

Im interested on where you got the work done. Im in LI and wouldn't mind making the trip to the boroughs to save some $$$. I might be going straight to stage 3 myself.
Old 16th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

My friend owns a mountain bike company so he has a complete metal fabrication shop plus he's gonzo over restoring old rides so he helped me out with the downpipe and exhaust all i had to do is shoot over to another friend of mine that owns a napa autoparts store to pick up a cat and mufflers at cost.

If i had to pay for all the crap ive done to my car so far at retail I'd be dead broke and my girlfriend would have left me a long time ago heh

But ill talk to him and find out if he'd be game to do another set and what he'd want for it.
Old 16th January 2008

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 2.0t-Current '97 900 S-First Love

Quote:
If i had to pay for all the crap ive done to my car so far at retail I'd be dead broke and my girlfriend would have left me a long time ago heh
You mean to tell me you actually tell her the truth about the cost?

Her: "What happened to that thingy in your car that made the 'whoosh' noise?"
Me: "My intake? It quit working........it was a bit of an experiment."
Her: "How much money did you spend on this....'experiment'?"
Me: "Oh, not much, I don't remember exactly but it was cheap."

If I had said $250 for the intake and $100 for the MAF I broke installing it , I'd still be in the dog house. For some reason "It sounds cool." Doesn't quite justify 350 bucks with the girlfriend.

In my defense......my intake did sound really cool...totally worth it.
Old 16th January 2008

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 ARC

Quote:
My friend owns a mountain bike company so he has a complete metal fabrication shop plus he's gonzo over restoring old rides so he helped me out with the downpipe and exhaust all i had to do is shoot over to another friend of mine that owns a napa autoparts store to pick up a cat and mufflers at cost.

But ill talk to him and find out if he'd be game to do another set and what he'd want for it.
Let me know. I'm interested.
Old 17th January 2008

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                

Quote:

Which specific cat and muffer did you use?
Old 26th January 2008

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 04 Saab Aero

Sorry if I'm jacking this thread, but I'm a bit of a new guy here. I used the search a little online to find out what you need to go to stage 3, and all I found is people wanting to do it. It's my understanding that you need the software, a downpipe and exhaust. Is there anything else? Injectors maybe? I'm just curious, thanks for the help.
Old 26th January 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3 Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBaller
Sorry if I'm jacking this thread, but I'm a bit of a new guy here. I used the search a little online to find out what you need to go to stage 3, and all I found is people wanting to do it. It's my understanding that you need the software, a downpipe and exhaust. Is there anything else? Injectors maybe? I'm just curious, thanks for the help.
If you are running a Linear (175hp) 9-3 then you will need new injectors, otherwrise the Arc and Vector/Aero just need the exhaust, downpipe, and software.
Old 27th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Alright guys bad news... i talked to my buddy and he said that he wouldnt be intrested in making any more exhaust systems since if he charged for labor at his standard rate the price difference wouldnt be that great and more importantly he wouldnt be able to offer any type of warranty so he doesnt want the legal responsibility for it... his exact words were a little bit more... umm... profane...

And yeah youll need new injectors for your stage 3 on top of the downpipe and catback if you have a linear like mine.
Old 27th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3 2.0T

Talk to Maptun USA. You can get your parts put on layaway. I'm currently tossing money into the Stage 5 ECU and Turbo/injector cable adapter for the Arc
Old 27th January 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty288
Talk to Maptun USA. You can get your parts put on layaway. I'm currently tossing money into the Stage 5 ECU and Turbo/injector cable adapter for the Arc
for 300hp your willing to spend $6k

i can buy a 1990 mustang and twin turbo forsame price and get 500+ :P:P:P

gotta love ur sabby huh
Old 27th January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3 2.0T

Meh...Why do you think i'm only buying the turbo and ECU? Can do it a lot cheaper if you try..Knock about 800 off getting an intercooler and custom fitting it, knock about 220 off getting the injectors from genuine saab, knock almost 500 off putting the downpipe on yourself and getting the exhaust made (I already have a new muffler)..Knock a couple hundred off installing the ECU and turbo yourself..Meh, comes out to about 2800. But of course, things are always more expensive when you buy them all at once.
Old 27th January 2008

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9-3ss ARC

could some one tell me why the down pipe from bsr is $800!
Old 27th January 2008

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                

Their stuff is expensive. You think Saab owners have it bad. Take a look at VW owners. I've done nothing to my 2.0T FSI 6MT Passat, because everything hurts just to take a look at it, price wise.

Nothing like spending $2000 on a turbo back exhaust..
And the best thing about it is, on a stock car for instance $2000 exhaust yeilds like 9 WHP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement