Deals On Wheels - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd January 2008

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1 Saab - 1991 900i Convertible
Default Deals On Wheels

Hi - This is probably only of interest to UK bods, and those that have Sky TV. On 'Discovery Turbo' - channel 253, they have recently been showing a programme called 'Deals On Wheels'. I think the series is about 3-5 years old. The premise of the show is that they have a budget of 1000 to purchase and restore a classic car. And by that, generally something from the 80's-90's. and by restore, do enough that is necessary, not a nut and bolt concours job! Each car has two 30min episodes dedicated to it. The aim is to try to sell on the car at some small profit. Examples have been Porsche 924, Merc 240 etc.

Anyway, and the reason I am adding this thread, is they did a 1986 3dr 900 Turbo. In black, full service history, well mainained etc, which they picked up for 600. They handed it over to the resident mechanic (free labour costs here they only pay for parts and purchase price). Mechanically it needed new discs and pads all round, new back box and two replacement motors for the front electric windows. The interior was tan cloth, which they updated with a black (or dark grey to my eyes like the ones in my '91 convert) leather one, from a breakers for 170. It looked the bees knees with that change alone.

This is where I guess I get to the point of this thread, to sell it on, they advertised it in SaabCentral (which got a mention in the credits at the end) and sold it for 1200. I wonder if the lucky lady who bought it still has it, and visits SaabCentral? I've watched the show twice, as it gets repeated often, and you do not see classic 900 Saabs mentioned that often.

What else? Oh, I want one of those to accompany my 'vert. Our 'other' Saab, an NG900 is nice in black, but not as nice .

Last edited by Russmeister; 3rd January 2008 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd January 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                

That was good alright. I saw it on youtube. it must have been the shortened version.
Old 3rd January 2008

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1 Saab - 1991 900i Convertible

I forgot about youtube, 'everything' seems to make it's way on to it!
Old 3rd January 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

yes it has been on before, and i think the car he went to get the interior in was a 54 reg, so at least 3 yrs old programme. Some of the programme was different to first time round,but no a bad show, but i would have tried to free the window motors off though(got the T shirt etc already)save a few bob, but i don't suppose a motor dealer wants to show you all of the tricks but as you say NO LABOUR CHARGE, this deal would have lost money, but on your own it's ok , but we would all like a nice workshop/garage with a hoist, piece of cake for most jobs then, instead of a car jack etc and crawl underneath.
Old 3rd January 2008
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

The guy who is interviewed in that programme is Stuart (late of these forums) and he owned the black slope-front 900 3dr which Brewer drives.

The flatty was sold to Stuart's wife. Don't know if she still owns it.

Apparently they had no end of trouble getting the car to run properly, and in particular achieving full boost. A lot more work went on than is shown in the programme.

They did buy a load of new parts when the originals could have been easily and quickly refurbed (the window regs as mentioned).
Old 3rd January 2008

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: Saab 900 Turbo 16s 2dr
Thumbs up Wheeler Dealers Saab 900 Turbo (Discovery Real Time 2003)

[QUOTE=Russmeister]Hi - This is probably only of interest to UK bods, and those that have Sky TV. On 'Discovery Turbo' - channel 253, they have recently been showing a programme called 'Deals On Wheels'. I think the series is about 3-5 years old. The premise of the show is that they have a budget of 1000 to purchase and restore a classic car. And by that, generally something from the 80's-90's. and by restore, do enough that is necessary, not a nut and bolt concours job! Each car has two 30min episodes dedicated to it. The aim is to try to sell on the car at some small profit. Examples have been Porsche 924, Merc 240 etc.

Matthew, I found this DVD on Evil Bay, great watching on a Sunday when you've got a hangover! It's called Wheeler Dealers on my copy.

I like the way the old geezer he buys the 900 off tries to look surprised when the electric windows didn't work, but fatty Brewer busts him! Edd China's (The Mechanic) run through on mending the electric windows inspired me to have a go myself with success.

Good also for an insight into overhauling the brakes.

Nice car in the end when they had sorted the interior. In fact, I had done exactly the same with my Mohair interior on my 16s.

Did you notice they had an offside front side light bulb out through the entire programme even after the restoration had been completed. I wonder if that bulb if still blown!
Old 3rd January 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

no they were both out it was just the sunlight glinting on the other making it look like it worked.LOL
Old 3rd January 2008

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: Saab 900 Turbo 16s 2dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16saabs
no they were both out it was just the sunlight glinting on the other making it look like it worked.LOL
I liked it when they had the running lights on the 900's. My ol' fella had them on his 1982 900 Turbo 8, other drivers new you were coming........ out the way!
Old 3rd January 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: '95 9k Aero, '90 900 T16S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab 16s Stubby
I liked it when they had the running lights on the 900's.
Me too. Couldn't be too hard to rewire this surely. Has anyone done it?
Old 3rd January 2008

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1992 Abbott T16S

It's a good programme and it's fun comparing how little they had to do to the 900 - discs and pads, electric windows and seats - to the nightmare that was the Integrale. I'd always fantasised about one until I discovered the OSF suspension has to come out to change an alternator!
Old 3rd January 2008
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

Apparently getting the thing to boost properly was a nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugganaut
Me too. Couldn't be too hard to rewire this surely. Has anyone done it?
It's a relay change IIRC - have a search around
Old 3rd January 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 81 8V 900T, 91 2.1 900i, 90 9k 2.0 Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab 16s Stubby
I liked it when they had the running lights on the 900's. My ol' fella had them on his 1982 900 Turbo 8, other drivers new you were coming........ out the way!
My early 8V c900's (81 turbo, 83 900s and 85 gli) all have the 'running lights' feature. I think it's dependent on how the headlight switch is wired ex-factory.

I think it's a sensible idea, and if the filament lamps are replaced with LED ones, they don't eat electricity or get hot inside the light housings.

Craig.
Advertisement