where is the handbrake cable adjustment?? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st January 2008

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3
Default where is the handbrake cable adjustment??

I adjusted the handbrake brake shoes in my 1999 Saab 9-3, but the cable itself must need adjustment as the lever still lifts more than I like. The car has 175,000kms.

I know from other cars there is usually an adjustment where the two cables meet behind the lever some where .. but where is it in my 9-3??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st January 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Sportcombi 2.0T, 5-M/T

If it's the same as my 1995 900S, there's an adjustment nut on the handbrake where the cables meet the handbrake lever at the equalizer. Unfortunately, this can only be accessed from the underside. I believe I used a deep 13MM socket to adjust this. It's somewhat tricky to access as there is a heat shield right where you don't want it to be. One word of caution: spray some PBblaster on the threaded rod and let it set for a while before attempting to turn the nut. I snapped the threaded rod on mine once and had to replace the entire handbrake lever. About $80 if I recall correctly. Also, the correct procedure for handbrake adjustment entails first adjusting the shoes themselves to get them as close as possible to the drum without binding with the lever released. If you only use your handbrake for it's intended purpose, and not for making quick 180 manuevers on the steet, then shoe wear should be minimal and you likely can get away with only adjusting the cable at the equalizer.
Old 1st January 2008

Smile

Thank-you, that makes sense, I'll have a look... I did the brake shoe adjustment in the rear rotors, so this is my next step...!!

As far as parking brake turns go... my Suzuki Swift is the best at this due to absolute lack of any real wheel base length, a slight whack of the brake gets the whole thing sliding sideways ever so easily.. the only good part of winter.... oh such fun..
Old 1st January 2008
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Good to see that this is being done in the correct order.

These cables are rather long, and subject to being cut (sloppy assembly, lack of maintenance)...An old GM bit of engineering, not nearly as good as the true Saab designs.
Anyone remember when the hand brake was on the front wheels ??
Those were the days.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 6th January 2008

SUCCESS...! four clicks and the parking brake is on tight.

advice here...

jack both back wheels off the ground (use axle safety stands)

remove all four of the nuts holding the muffler heatshield onto the body. Then you can slide the heatshield forward and towards the muffer, away from the equalizer.

yes..the adjustment nut and shaft had rust. before trying a wrench on it.. I carefully applied heat with a propane torch to the nut but not too much as there is a plastic/rubber boot for the cable entering the car, not too far away.. the nut was then very easy to adjust.

I didn't, but putting a bit of heat on the heatshield nuts would have been a good idea too..

now I can see the outer layer of my center muffler/resonator isn't looking too good, so off to find a replacement.. so far Saab stuff hasn't been to crazy priced if you look around the internet..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement