DIY, SAI Valve Check and Replacement, (with pics!) - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-12-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3t (OOW)
Default DIY, SAI Valve Check and Replacement, (with pics!)

Disclaimer: I will in no way be responsable for any work done on your car. This is a guidance, and all work should be performed at your own risk.

Well, I would like to make everyones life a little easier. All the work I am going to do on my car (90% mainttenance) I will post here as a easy DIY with pics. This should save people TONS of money by doing the projects themselves. Here goes the first one....

Why: These valves are known to go bad on MY2003, causeing the SAI pump to fail ($900 replacement). By simply checking this valve and replacing as neccessary, we can stop being bent over by the dealership.

Difficulty: Simple

Time: 20mins

Tools: 10mm socket, or open end wrench

Start by popping the hood and finding the valve, its right to the left of the battery:

Now see the plastic ring on the end, on the 12 and 6 o'clock position squeeze it, the ring will deform and you can pull the hose towards you. The hole that just opened up, stick your pinky in there. Is it clean? Is there soot? You will probably need a new valve if there is soot. Check this link to see.
http://www.msi-motor-service.com/xim...083_EN_WEB.pdf

If there is soot, keep reading, if not, put it back together...

Now grab your 10mm wrench and take off the two bolts on the bottom holding it on. Take a look at this picture and you can see where one is, the other is directly towards you. Don't drop them!

Once you have the valve off, take a look at the bottom of it. There is a green (mine was) paper gasket. When you replace the valve, its a good idea to replace that gasket.

Istallation is the opposite of removing. You may want to put a little bit of silicon O-ring lube on the o-ring before you reinstall to make it easier to take off next time. Once i find the P/N and sources, i will update this thread

Good luck!

Last edited by robhurlburt; 09-12-07 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-07
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear
Thumbs up

Very nice! Once you update it send me a PM and I'll add it to the "How To" sticky. Nice work.
Old 09-12-07

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero

Maybe I can help with the parts numbers:

Article : Secondary air injection air flow check valve
PartNo : 12791285

Article : Gasket
PartNo : 90470423

Regards
Old 09-12-07
SaabNut!

My Saabs: '03 Saab 9-3 ARC

how much do dealers charge for those valves?
Old 09-12-07
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Was it dirty on the other side?
Old 09-12-07
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz
Was it dirty on the other side?
I took off the end with the hose, and stuck my pinky in it. Perfectly clean, no soot. I thought that would be OK, untill i took it apart and saw the bottom of it. If i remember checking the PDF in the sticky, it says the valve needs to be checked from the bottom.

Do you think it is still good? I am just going by the little info i have read on here, but i would like to update the DIY accordingly

OK, dug in and found more info, this is the link i was looking for!
http://www.msi-motor-service.com/xim...083_EN_WEB.pdf

This shows how to check it, you only have to replace it if there is soot on the end that the tube comes off. Check above for updated DIY!

Last edited by robhurlburt; 09-12-07 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-12-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 1.8i >2003<

excellent work mate.
thnx for this info.

i am gonna check it also
Old 09-12-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 04 SS Aero 6MT

two thumbs up! Mod's can we be sure this is added to the FAQ or the DIY section!?
Old 10-12-07

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjT817
two thumbs up! Mod's can we be sure this is added to the FAQ or the DIY section!?
Does anyone know what a new valve costs?
Old 10-12-07
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassallj
Does anyone know what a new valve costs?
they told me this is the part, the V6 has 2 of them, we have one...
http://www.thesaabsite.com/shop/sear...1=Start+Search
Old 10-12-07
Saab on the Brain!

It's a Pierburg valve. I posted the numbers stamped on the valve in one of the SAI threads linked in the FAQ. Should be a simple matter to compare any part numbers. The Pierburg numbers are stamped on the top and easy to read. Saab has different internal numbers unrelated to what's stamped on the valve.

Nimisys told me a lot of these valves are very similar. Probably has to do with the pressure produced by the SAI pump. So maybe they (Pierburg) make valves in our shape in 10 psi cracking pressure increments, all with different numbers. Just different springs inside to give the different cracking pressures.
Old 10-12-07

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2010 9-5 AERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhurlburt
they told me this is the part, the V6 has 2 of them, we have one...
http://www.thesaabsite.com/shop/sear...1=Start+Search

Great post but where is this part on the 04 model? I don't see it. Thanks.
Old 10-12-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 1.8i >2003<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage1
Great post but where is this part on the 04 model? I don't see it. Thanks.

at 1st post it says under the hood.....not the car's hood....engine's hood

same area u have to access when u want to check the spark plugs

to open the engine protective hood u will have to unscrew 2 10mm star-shaped bolts if i remember correctly.

DO NOT TRY TO UNSCREW WHEN ENGINE IS HOT.........U LL NEVER GET THEM OUT DUE TO METAL DILATION.
most possible scenario is to damage the star shaped corners and then bye bye unscrewing again

try it only after a 2-3 hours stop at minimum
Old 10-12-07

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear

Is there any chance to just seal it off so that there won't be any exhaust going to that SAI pump? That would solve the problem if carputer doesn't complain.
Old 10-12-07

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2010 9-5 AERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekfragma
at 1st post it says under the hood.....not the car's hood....engine's hood

same area u have to access when u want to check the spark plugs

to open the engine protective hood u will have to unscrew 2 10mm star-shaped bolts if i remember correctly.

DO NOT TRY TO UNSCREW WHEN ENGINE IS HOT.........U LL NEVER GET THEM OUT DUE TO METAL DILATION.
most possible scenario is to damage the star shaped corners and then bye bye unscrewing again

try it only after a 2-3 hours stop at minimum
Thanks but where he is pointing to is not under the engine protective hood. In another thread on SAI a member said it was removed from the 2004 model as a correction but I will look under the EP hood to verify.
Old 11-12-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Vtuner Stage 0 Rev 2.0

Excellent write up. Thanks.

I'm just wondering though let's say there is soot in it, so you suggest we change the valve which cost approximately $85. If this is changed, how can this prevent whatever is getting damaged for it to cost $900. I'm a bit confused

What else gets damaged for the delear to charge $900, and when do you know that you NEED to change the whole thing ($900 thing - whatever that is).
Old 11-12-07
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector-SS
Excellent write up. Thanks.

I'm just wondering though let's say there is soot in it, so you suggest we change the valve which cost approximately $85. If this is changed, how can this prevent whatever is getting damaged for it to cost $900. I'm a bit confused

What else gets damaged for the delear to charge $900, and when do you know that you NEED to change the whole thing ($900 thing - whatever that is).
I'm not sure if you can prevent it. What cost so much to replace is the SAI pump. When the valve fails, condensation and water build up in the pump, causing the pump to fail. Thats when you need to bite the bullet and get it fixed. By staying on top of this valve, and making sure it doesn't fail, you save yourself the headach of changing the entire pump. Search SAI valve/ pump on here, and you'll end up checking this valve everytime you change your oil!

You will NEED to change the who thing when the check engine light comes on with code P0411. If that happens, it could be too late, but some people have succesfully dried out the pump and changed the valve with no further issues.

As far as 2004 models are concerned, i believe this was ONLY an issue in 2003.

Heres some info:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=93085
Old 11-12-07
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector-SS
If this is changed, how can this prevent whatever is getting damaged for it to cost $900. I'm a bit confused
A check valve allows flow in one direction only. In this case air pumped by the SAI pump is injected into the exhaust stream during cold start. Should you accelerate during cold start, exhaust pressure will increase and close the valve.

The SAI pump runs for about 90 seconds during cold start. The ECM adds extra fuel while the pump is running. The idea is fuel will continue to burn in the exhaust manifold (with extra air provide by the pump) and the catalytic converter will heat up faster.

The check valve is there to prevent exhaust from entering the SAI system. The main problem is water, which is abundant in exhaust. The SAI pump sits low in front of the engine and water from exhaust will quickly collect in the pump eventually clogging it and ruining the motor. The pump is expensive and hard to get to. You have to remove the starter and some other parts to replace the pump, which adds time and cost.

You inspect your check valve so you can replace it before you ruin your pump. If your pump is bad, you will need to replace both the pump and the valve.

As I mentioned above this is probably something that should be replaced on a schedule, maybe every 5 years. My thinking is it's better to replace the valve before it goes bad. No question it's constantly exposed to grimey, corrosive exhaust, so only a matter of time before it fails. It's also incredibly easy to access and change. Two bolts and a gasket. Doesn't get much easier!

So why is this only on 2003's? Possibly because Saab was not sure the 93SS would pass all emissions checks by the time it got into production. They may have been shooting for LEV or ULEV certification at some point. I don't really know.

UPDATE:
ULEV certification does require low levels of cold-start emissions:

Seventy to eighty percent of hydrocarbon emissions from automotive vehicles are emitted during this first minute, or so, of "cold start" engine operation, i.e., during this period large amounts of hydrocarbons are likely to be discharged into the atmosphere without additional measures. The problem is made worse by the fact that the engine requires rich fuel-air ratio to operate during cold-start thus, increasing even further the amount of unburned hydrocarbons discharged. Increasing the effectiveness of automotive emission control systems during cold start, so that the amount of hydrocarbons discharged into the atmosphere during cold-start are kept at extremely low levels, has become important not only from an environmental standpoint, but just as importantly, the ULEV standards require it.

Last edited by ctrlz; 13-12-07 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-11-08

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
Question Confused

This seems to simply be an EGR valve

1. Why not just clean it and not buy a new one?
2. It isn't necessary unless the computer goes crazy why not bypass it somehow?
Old 03-11-08
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3SS Aero

Ok, so I have been reading all of this SAI stuff since I got my '06 Aero.

I know it only applies to the MY2003.

I just wonder if the V6 motors with the dual SAI valves are going to have an issue. I cannot recall reading a single issue yet, but I wonder if it is only a matter of time. I don't want to be the first. Does anyone know if the configuration of the system on the V6 is so much different that this issue will not be a problem?

Maybe I should just check my valves next time I under the Hood (the US vernacular) or bonnet to you other guys. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement