2000 9-3 Starting Problem - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-12-07

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 SE Convertible
Question 2000 9-3 Starting Problem

My 9-3 Convertible just started something odd. After driving it, then trying to start it again within 15-30 minutes, it won't start. It will crank without any problem, telling me there's no battery problem, but it won't fire at all. Then after a short break, I go back out there and it starts right away. It started doing this late last week. Thinking it might be an old fuel filter, I replaced that, but tonight same problem. My daughter was driving it, made a couple of stops, turning the engine off, then restarting without problem. Then, on her last stop, no go. I went back about an hour later, and it started the first time.

This problem did start right after filling an almost empty gas tank, so maybe the fuel pump picked up some junk in the bottom of the tank, or I got some bad gas. I refilled it tonight at the half full mark, drove it about ten miles, but had the same problem when I returned. I going to give the new gas a chance, but I don't really think this is the problem, since it either starts fine or doesn't start at all (though I have noticed an occasional miss since trying to solve this).

Anyone had a similar problem or have any ideas? I'll likely be taking it to my Saab mechanic early next week, but I'd like to be able to suggest to him what it could be.

Thanks.

JM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900SE Turbo

That is one of the two possible symptoms of a failing crankshaft position sensor.

When the sensor starts to fail while driving, the engine may miss or stall, and there may be a CEL and a corresponding fault code.

When the sensor fails during a start attempt with engine hot, there is no signal to the ECU at all, and therefore there is no CEL and fault code generated. The ECU uses the signal to determine the engine is cranking (and later, rpm and crankshaft angular position, tdc, etc.) Once the engine cools off, the sensor generates a valid signal, and the engine starts.

With no signal from the CPS, the ECU will not start the fuel pump (no fuel pressure), or the ignition (no spark).

Edit: oops, looks like a duplicate thread.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh....php?p=1112856

Last edited by PMI; 05-12-07 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-12-07
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm7128
My 9-3 Convertible just started something odd. After driving it, then trying to start it again within 15-30 minutes, it won't start. It will crank without any problem, telling me there's no battery problem, but it won't fire at all. Then after a short break, I go back out there and it starts right away. It started doing this late last week. Thinking it might be an old fuel filter, I replaced that, but tonight same problem. My daughter was driving it, made a couple of stops, turning the engine off, then restarting without problem. Then, on her last stop, no go. I went back about an hour later, and it started the first time.

This problem did start right after filling an almost empty gas tank, so maybe the fuel pump picked up some junk in the bottom of the tank, or I got some bad gas. I refilled it tonight at the half full mark, drove it about ten miles, but had the same problem when I returned. I going to give the new gas a chance, but I don't really think this is the problem, since it either starts fine or doesn't start at all (though I have noticed an occasional miss since trying to solve this).

Anyone had a similar problem or have any ideas? I'll likely be taking it to my Saab mechanic early next week, but I'd like to be able to suggest to him what it could be.

Thanks.

JM
2 possible problems. PMI indicated the first ie a bad CPS.
It's best to test it on a warm engine, not cold. The resistance values should be 860+-100 Ohms IIRC but I'm not 100% sure of that so do your homework first.

The second is the purge valve. Unplug it and see if the car goes back to normal. The check engine light will light up obviously since an emission component is unplugged. No harm to the car though.
Old 25-01-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkayssi
2 possible problems. PMI indicated the first ie a bad CPS.
It's best to test it on a warm engine, not cold. The resistance values should be 860+-100 Ohms IIRC but I'm not 100% sure of that so do your homework first.

The second is the purge valve. Unplug it and see if the car goes back to normal. The check engine light will light up obviously since an emission component is unplugged. No harm to the car though.
Where is the purge valve located?

2000 Viggen

1993 Mazda RX-7 "It ain't stock"

I live in a high test world...
Old 25-01-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900SE Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rx-7 tt
Where is the purge valve located?
On the NG900 it is located on a rubber hanger below a metal bracket, on the passenger side strut tower. You can also find it by simply following the evap canister purge hose back from the throttle body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement