key isn't locking/unlocking door... - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-12-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 81 8V 900T, 91 2.1 900i, 90 9k 2.0 Carly
Default key isn't locking/unlocking door...

When I took my 89 3-door hatch to work last night the key would not lock the driver's side (right-hand side) door lock. The door was already unlocked but the day before when I'd unlocked the car I did with the key in the drivers side door and it was fine.

I already knew that the central-locking didn't work for the arming function off that door (that hasn't worked since the smash repairs a few months back), but it's the first time that the key has failed to move the lock to either lock or unlock the door from the outside.

I locked the door using the internal button. When I came to unlock the car, the key wouldn't unlook the driver's side door lock.

I suspect the problem is something broken or missing off the door lock mechanism which may stem back to the repair work done on the car after it's accident several months ago.

Unfortunately it's raining and stormy at the moment otherwise I'd be outside taking the door apart, so I'm curious to know if other people have tackled this problem before and what they found to be the cause? I don't have any spare doors or lock mechanisms off 3-door hatchbacks to compare against and I'm not sure I fully understand how the central-locking solenoids and micro-switches are set up as yet.

Once I figure out what's wrong I'll let you know. I'm taking my other car (81 turbo) to work tonight since I know all of it's locks are working and I don't want to get locked out of my 89 car when it's time to drive home at about 5 am tomorrow monring. 8-)

Craig.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-07
Saab Lunatic

Righto I've taken the door apart and guess what I found! The plastic piece at the back of the lock barrel that connects to the small metal rod going to the lock mechanism had come off the metal rod (looks like the press-on securing washer has disappeared), so reconnecting those two has got the external lock to do it's job again. I'm having a look at the central locking wiring to see if I can nut that problem out too while I'm at it.

I can't see the microswitch that's meant to be in the door but it's probably hidden down behind one of the piece of structural door metal so time for a torch and mirror job to hunt it down (it could well be missing!).

Anyway here's a link to the pic of what I found when I took off the door interior panel and plastic moisture barrier...

http://www.classicsaab.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=9172

And this is how it should be:

http://www.classicsaab.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=9175

I don't actually know if there is meant to be any sort of push-on washer to hold that in place. Perhaps it's a clip-in fitting and is just worn.

This is two pics of the central-locking wiring and connections and I don't think that's quite how it should be: 8-)

http://www.classicsaab.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=9178
http://www.classicsaab.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=9181

So the external lock does what it's meant to again, but the central locking wiring/function problem is still there. Mystery deepens! ...

Craig.
Old 03-12-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 91 C900 5spd N/A

I had the exact same problem. The only difference is that I got lucky as my central lock system still worked. I agree that there is supposed to be some sort of press fit washer on the end of that rod. If you look at the linkage that comes from the inside door handle you can see where they used a similar fastener. To prevent this from happening again I placed a small bead of silicone on the end. Hasn't slipped off yet. (about a month) I wonder if there is a way that you could check the wires that supply power? I suspect they are only hot when the key is turned though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-07
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 turbo

There isn't supposed to be a washer on the end of the rod, even though it seems like there should be - the little plastic thing that it slips into is supposed to stretch around the end of the rod (it has notches around the hole so that it does this), but after two decades or so, they obviously get a little loose. I kept on having to fix mine, and first I tried putting a dab of hot glue on the end, but that didn't hold for too long. What I did to fix it permanently was take the smallest size of zip tie that I had and just tighten it around the end of the rod just inside the lip so that there is no way that sucker's coming off
Old 03-12-07
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

have you checked (by swapping if possible) the c/l unit under the dash, as if this goes it won't work either

Last edited by 16saabs; 03-12-07 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-07
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16saabs
have you checked (by swapping if possible) the c/l unit under the dash, as if this goes it won't work either
The central locking partly works (if I unlock the drivers door the pass door unlocks as well), so I don't think it's the control unit, but that could be worth checking too. I don't have a spare for it though at the moment.

Craig.
Advertisement