Nokian WRG2's review after 2000 miles and first serious snow - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 07 Honda Odyssey no saabs
Default Nokian WRG2's review after 2000 miles and first serious snow

What can I say... This is an Impressive tire. I have a set on my 9-5 sedan.

First of all, the asymetrical tread pattern is quite functional in all conditions.
I have put about 2000+ miles on the tires since install and they have performed amazingly well in all the conditions that have been thrown at it.

In this time its seen 80F temps all the way down to single digit temps.

Today we had our first snow (that accumulated), and there was ALOT of it (6inches or so).

The roads were a horrible mess. All the TV and radio stations suggested that unless you needed to, stay off the roads. I was out today and I was one of a few sedans on the road, (mostly trucks or 4x4's) and definately one of the few (of any vehicle) that wasn't all over the road.

Grip on the loose snow/icy roads was nothing short of amazing. Some wheel spin but winter mode (yes an auto, sigh) minimized that, and it is to be expected. Stopping was equally as good. ABS never had to come on...

To further make driving interesting, this evening (after all the plows came by and left a thin sheen of snow/ice on the roads), the weather warmed up enough so that its effectively 'misting' everything with a water/ice. Every car not in a garage has a nice thick layer of ice encasing it. The roads... not any better... basically a skating rink. Not a problem.

With these tires, I feel confident I can get anywhere I need to go regardless of the conditions. What am I comparing against? I have a set of dedicated Bridgestone Blizzaks on the 9-5 wagon, and I would venture to say that the Nokians are as good, if not better, than those. Yes they are that good. When the Blizzaks wear out, I'll replace them with another set of Nokians...

This is the tire:

And these are the cars (apres snow driving):

My 2 Saabs

Last edited by fusionrx; 2nd December 2007 at 01:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd December 2007

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 2.3lpt

is that an A/S or winter tire?
Old 2nd December 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Estate 2.3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton
is that an A/S or winter tire?
Haha, I was wondering that too...it almost looks like half of each
Old 2nd December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Default All season

Its actually an all season with a severe weather rating... so it handles snow really well.
Old 3rd December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero 5-Speed

Keep us updated! If that tire lasts a while, I'm definately going to buy a set as my next tire. I've heard too many great things about them not to!
Old 3rd December 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: BSR stg.III 9-5 aero

im also looking for a set of tires...where can i find these tires, cause im sure the shops around here dont have them...
Current Mods: Stage III BSR tune, K&N intake, Taliaferro intake pipe, forge BPV, dual 3" flowmaster exhaust, custom FMIC, Bilstein Sports, sub-frame brace, poly trans mount, HID headlights/foglights, debadged hood, and other little stuff here and there....
Old 3rd December 2007

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 2.3lpt

price for a set of 4?
Old 3rd December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero 5-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-5Aero22
im also looking for a set of tires...where can i find these tires, cause im sure the shops around here dont have them...
Your best bet would probably be to order them online, and have a shop near you fit them, which I think is what you meant now that I read it again... If you go here:
http://www.nokiantires.com/en/locater.aspx
It's a dealer locater thinger.
Old 4th December 2007
Saab Lunatic

I got mine for $145 a tire here in the twin cities. Found a good indy mechanic at the same time too so it was a bonus for me.

If I recall correctly they have a 60 or 70k warranty on them, provided they are rotated frequently (every other oil change in my case I think).

Compared to the $160 a tire for Blizzaks (dedicated winters), they were a bargin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement