How to become an auto technician? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th November 2007
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i
Default How to become an auto technician?

Are there any auto technicians here who do this for a living?

I have been working in the IT business ever since I came out of college 15 years ago and want to do something different. My education was actually in an automotive program (technical / marketing / management) but I never got a start in the business.

I have been reading up on certifications and licenses but I was wondering if anyone here has any real experience in the business. Anyone has their own car repair place? How did you get started?

My main interest would probably be in electronic systems diagnose and repairs but there are many other interesting areas.

Found some interesting reading here: http://www.careeroverview.com/auto-m...c-careers.html

Last edited by Wulf; 27th November 2007 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th November 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3

look into schooling. i did my junior and senior year of highschool at a vacational school for automotive technology. you could check out some vacational local schools who might offer it for a convenient cheap education and you can get a lot of deals for being a student, from tools and tests and further education. whatever you go into its great to get ASE certified. i got a little burnt out on doing this and realized its a good hobby and if i continue to do this work day in and out then come home to have to do more, its not even going to be a hobby anymore, so i got out of working in shops although i always think of going back.
Old 27th November 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

The money is in being a driveability diagnoser-guy
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 27th November 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1980 Camaro, 1991 S-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t
The money is in being a driveability diagnoser-guy
You can say that again.
Sometimes I feel bad about charging so much, but then I get my paycheck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement