SID says "Time for Service". What does it mean? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th November 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero w/Touring & Cold Weather
Default SID says "Time for Service". What does it mean?

My 2007 9-3SS Aero has 5700 miles on it.

Just yesterday, my SID showed a message:

"Time for Service." with a picture of a wrench directly to the left of it.

To what kind of service does this refer? Is there a malfunction, or is it just referring to routine service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: Saab 93 Vector 2.0T 2006

usually this appears around 20K km (15K miles) in our case. Try to reset it by going into the menu on the SID. If it dont work then u need to see the dealer.
Old 26th November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-5 Aero, '06 9-3SC, '00 Viggen
Default Just routine service....

It appears the "Time For Service" message has three separate triggers:
  1. Calendar - the message will be triggered at one year intervals if the car is not serviced earlier.
  2. Oil Life Algorithm - a computer program "calculates" remaining oil life based upon: number of engine starts, outside temperatures, maximum engine temperature reached during each start, load on engine, and probably other parameters too. This algorithm also assumes you will ONLY USE engine oil meeting the GM LL-A-025 specification.
  3. Specific mileage points - certain tasks are required at Saab specified mileage points irrespective of other routine maintenance performed.
Take the car to your dealer for "free" oil change, tire rotation, overall inspection, and any other items identified in the maintenance manual for your car's age and mileage.
Old 26th November 2007
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger
It appears the "Time For Service" message has three separate triggers:
  1. Calendar - the message will be triggered at one year intervals if the car is not serviced earlier.
  2. Oil Life Algorithm - a computer program "calculates" remaining oil life based upon: number of engine starts, outside temperatures, maximum engine temperature reached during each start, load on engine, and probably other parameters too. This algorithm also assumes you will ONLY USE engine oil meeting the GM LL-A-025 specification.
  3. Specific mileage points - certain tasks are required at Saab specified mileage points irrespective of other routine maintenance performed.
Take the car to your dealer for "free" oil change, tire rotation, overall inspection, and any other items identified in the maintenance manual for your car's age and mileage.
Generally, I start my car an average of 5 times a day. Some days more, obviously, but some days less. I've only had the car 5 months, and it only has 5700 miles on it.

How is it possible that my car would determine that service is needed?
Old 26th November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

My pet theory on this one is that it is a year since your car was built and the computers first booted up. So the first of the measurments mentioned above.

Does it need a service, probably not, the oil is probably fine, however it is asking for one and that means that it should be covered under scheduled maintainance.

FYI you don't get a tire rotation in scheduled maintainance.
Old 26th November 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Here's a whole TSB on just that: http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/

2nd marker under service...
Old 26th November 2007

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2007 2.0T

My 2007 is showing that message also. It's showing intermediate service, which is just an oil/filter change. I'm at 5200 miles right now, but it'll be another week and 700 miles before I can get it in to the dealer. I'm guessing that they changed the algorythm for a "break in" period oil change at 5000 miles, then go to the normal 15000 interval.
In any case, there's a recall to flash the ECU to fix some potential emissions/cold start problems as well, so I'll get it to the dealer to take care of that as well.
The TSB in the last posts only applies to some of the early 2003 MY cars.
Old 26th November 2007
Saabista

They don't change the SID for a "break in period". And I believe your Service Interval is 10K on an 07.

I believe SMHarmon may be right, If the Time period was set to one year, if your car came of the line a year ago it thinks it's time.
Old 26th November 2007

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2007 2.0T

That's probably it - my car has a build date of 11/06 (sticker on the bottom of the driver's door). It's just a coincidence that two cars had the message come up at around 5000 miles.
I didn't get that on the 2003 though - I bought that car in may of 2004, and it had a build date of 07/03. I didn't see the first "time for service untill 15000 miles.
Old 26th November 2007
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV
Here's a whole TSB on just that: http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/

2nd marker under service...
More abbreviations!! What is "TSB"?

The PDF file refers to 2003 models incorrectly producing the "Time for Service" notification. The article was created in January of 2003.

Could it apply to my '07?
Old 26th November 2007
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSandman
More abbreviations!! What is "TSB"?

Could it apply to my '07?
Technical Service Bulletin.
Old 26th November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-5 Aero, '06 9-3SC, '00 Viggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSandman
Generally, I start my car an average of 5 times a day. Some days more, obviously, but some days less. I've only had the car 5 months, and it only has 5700 miles on it.

How is it possible that my car would determine that service is needed?

We bought our car in May of 2006. It sat parked in our garage most of that summer, undriveable, because the Dealership made a major mistake with title and registration that prevented the car from being legally driven on public roads. We received our first "Time For Service" message in late January of 2007 because the car was imported into the US in January of 2006, and the 12 month clock was activated upon receipt of the car by SaabUSA at the docks.

Your situation is probably very similar (hopefully without the Dealership error!)

BTW - The Dealership provided us with a 9-2X loaner and made all monthly car payments for us while our car was in legal limbo.
Old 26th November 2007
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk
That's probably it - my car has a build date of 11/06 (sticker on the bottom of the driver's door). It's just a coincidence that two cars had the message come up at around 5000 miles.
I didn't get that on the 2003 though - I bought that car in may of 2004, and it had a build date of 07/03. I didn't see the first "time for service untill 15000 miles.
03's have a 15K Interval, I think it was changed back to 10K in 05 or 06, surely I'll be corrected if wrong.
Old 26th November 2007
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 2009 9-3 2.0T SC

Suggest you take car to your dealer as you are under warranty.

I don't have Ownwer's Manual handy (wife has car) but something appears wrong with what you are getting on SID.It should state specifically which service is needed....i.e."Intermediate" , "Main" or "Intermediate and Main".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement