Aero 2.8 Liter Longevity - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st November 2007

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5SE... had.
Default Aero 2.8 Liter Longevity

OK, I'm almost there with a decision. Question. Did I see in a post somewhere on this site that the V-6 is built by Holden? I also heard that the Pontiac GTO, built by Holden was plaqued with reliability issues. If both of these are so, how has the reliability been on the Aero V-6? Thanks again for your help.

Kelvin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: former SAAB owner

I can't help much, but it seems there was a coolant tank issue with the 2.8l, but it may now be resolved. The motor hasn't been around long enough to have owners with tons of miles on it.
It is a fairly low stress design. 260hp from a 2.8 turbo is not a big deal. Lots of 2.0l are making that kind of power.
Old 21st November 2007

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Vector SS 2003

The V6 is one of GM's "High Feature" V6s and is built here in Melbourne for the Holden Commodore in huge numbers in 3.6l non turbo form. There are loads on the road with no major reliability probs, they're the standard fleet / government / big family car. The same factory also builds the 2.8 turbo destined for Saab

See here

Ironically the Pontiac GTO or Holden Monaro as it's called here uses an imported Chevrolet V8.

Here's the goods.

Thats the global economy in action I guess.

The GTO is a big cheap powerful car based on a high volume fleet sedan, and as such has become very popular as easily affordable muscle, but is cheap and cheerful from a build quality point of view because of it's roots. That may be where reliability issues lie.
Old 22nd November 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Having been out for about 2 years now, not much data available except that it is very reliable (as are most powertrains these days).
About the only issue is the coolant tank which isn't really the powertrain.

As already stated there aren't any real high mileage ones out there unlike the proven, bulletproof 2.0 turbo.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 22nd November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

The Monaro has a pretty good reliability record in Australia (and apparently so does the GTO in the US http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...GTO&trimid=-1)

Holden have been building cheap, reliable cars for decades, the build quality may be suspect at times, but hey, they are cheap. Every man and his dog has one here. The 3.6l version is one of the bread and butter engines of the fleet and taxi industry. There are many out there with over 100,000 miles on the clock.

The HF engine is a gobal GM design. It wasn't designed in Australia, only built here (and in Canada too I believe).
Old 22nd November 2007

Thanks to all. It looks like the 2007 Aero in either Silver or Smoke Beige will be the winner. You can't beat the $5,500 rebates!!
Old 22nd November 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicflash
Having been out for about 2 years now, not much data available except that it is very reliable (as are most powertrains these days).
Agree with Cos. Main powertrain components are very reliable in almost all cars. Maybe some bolt-ons have problems, like pumps for example.

Manufacturers overdesign the main components and then underconfigure the vehicles. They limit engine output as needed to preserve the weakest link. Or they limit other choices such as forcing you to buy an automatic tranny if you opt for the biggest engine.
Old 22nd November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaudell
Thanks to all. It looks like the 2007 Aero in either Silver or Smoke Beige will be the winner. You can't beat the $5,500 rebates!!
Well thats easy, you can follow the heard and go with safe silver or you can have a distinctive car in a distinctive colour and go smoke beige.
Old 24th November 2007

The only problem with Smoke Beige is a Parchment interior. While I'm not a really dirty sort, I do find that over time, the lighter interiors look bad. The Silver can be had with Black/Charcoal interior. I would MUCH prefer this. Anyone know of a Laser Red over Black 2007 Aero out there in the US????
Old 24th November 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaudell
The only problem with Smoke Beige is a Parchment interior. While I'm not a really dirty sort, I do find that over time, the lighter interiors look bad. The Silver can be had with Black/Charcoal interior. I would MUCH prefer this. Anyone know of a Laser Red over Black 2007 Aero out there in the US????
The parchment interior is very nice. I'm on my second one here and have driven over 130,000 mies between the two cars and they stayed quite clean especially now with the GM cost cutting and all carpets black
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 24th November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

What he ^ said. The Parchment wears well.
Old 24th November 2007

Thanks for the input..... all of these major decisions in life!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement