much quieter dash - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th November 2007

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 Aero 6spd manual
Default much quieter dash

After explaining my "creaky" dash to the dealer, They were able stop 75%-80% of the creaks in my car, The dash is 99% quieter. It is like night and day. I still have the occasional creak from the sunroof liner(noiser when warm) and the b-pillar.

They pulled the all the vents, radio, HVAC control, cd-changer, and change holder and placed a silicone tape/gel along the inside edge of each one.

I'm hoping this lasts because the difference is amazing!!! Just wish it had always been this quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th November 2007

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: white 03 arc 2.0T

what about putting on foam in the inside?? instead of silicone. do you have warantee on your car?
Old 14th November 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero SC

I have a 2006 as well and had sunroof squeak and driver's side vent squeak.

I read here how to fix the sunroof by pulling the plastic molding off and placing electrical tape along the exposed metal. This worked well.

I figured if it worked for the sunroof it would work for the vent, so I pulled the vent and applied tape. It worked perfectly too.

The sunroof job was very easy. You should search here how to do this and then either do it yourself or deliver the directions to the dealer.
Old 15th November 2007
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

Don't you love it you have to use some electrical tape on your new $30K car or take it to your dealer to have these small but very annoying noises fixed? It still surprises me they can't fix this in Trollhattan..
Old 15th November 2007
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero w/Touring & Cold Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryubpharm
After explaining my "creaky" dash to the dealer, They were able stop 75%-80% of the creaks in my car, The dash is 99% quieter. It is like night and day. I still have the occasional creak from the sunroof liner(noiser when warm) and the b-pillar.

They pulled the all the vents, radio, HVAC control, cd-changer, and change holder and placed a silicone tape/gel along the inside edge of each one.

I'm hoping this lasts because the difference is amazing!!! Just wish it had always been this quiet.
What kind of "creaking" did you get from your dash? Did it only occur when going over bumps? Big bumps or small ones too? Making sharp turns at speed?

Was it a clicking noise you were hearing? Or when you say "creaky", do you mean a chirping noise like a cricket, i.e. metal against metal squeaking?

I get a few clicking noises, and I'm trying to see where they could be coming from.
Old 15th November 2007
SaabNut!

Wulf - your absolutely correct. As I understand things most of the squeaks\creaks were eliminated when GM rolled out the new interior in the '07 model.

I did ask the dealer to address the vent and of course I receive the "unable to duplicate" ... If you want things done right do them yourself.
Old 15th November 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 SS, 2.0, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf
Don't you love it you have to use some electrical tape on your new $30K car or take it to your dealer to have these small but very annoying noises fixed? It still surprises me they can't fix this in Trollhattan..
Might be incorrect, but coming from the VW world of rattles and squeaks, one of my assumptions is that the European companies just don't design (or more importantly) test for the heat we get in some parts of the US, so we get expansion/contraction they just don't see. (the infamous B6 B-billar squeak was highly temperature dependent.. even the folks in the NE US thought the rest of us were making it up)

Mike
Old 15th November 2007

To answer the question about the warranty yes it is under warranty, could I have done something myself yes, but since I've paid for a warranty, I don't think I should pay with my own time again to fix the problem.

To answer the question about the "creaking" This was occurring over most any bump big or small, mostly around the center vent area, but also the driver's vent as well on occasion.

No metallic or chirping noises.

But it was still quiet this morning!!

Next go around will have the work on the sunroof, but when it is cold out for some reason it is quiet, louder when it is warm out 70+
Old 15th November 2007
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero w/Touring & Cold Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryubpharm
To answer the question about the warranty yes it is under warranty, could I have done something myself yes, but since I've paid for a warranty, I don't think I should pay with my own time again to fix the problem.

To answer the question about the "creaking" This was occurring over most any bump big or small, mostly around the center vent area, but also the driver's vent as well on occasion.

No metallic or chirping noises.

But it was still quiet this morning!!

Next go around will have the work on the sunroof, but when it is cold out for some reason it is quiet, louder when it is warm out 70+
Was your dealership able to service the vents and dash area WITHOUT scratching anything in the process or leaving unwanted signs that they were working on your car?

In other words, when they were finished, were you able to see visual evidence that they had been working on your dash?
Old 15th November 2007
SaabNut!

I can tell you that I was able to quiet the dash vent (driver's side) without leaving any evidence. The vents are held on by plastic clips inside the vents themselves so the mechanic should not need to "pry" or do anything else that would damage the dash. I have read however that the plastic clips holding the center dash vent have been know to have a casting defect that can cause them to break when the assembly is removed ... this was enough to convince myself to avoid that vent evern after successfully dealing with the driver's side vent.
Old 15th November 2007

There were no new marks/scratches anywhere on the dash. There was a smudge from the silicone tape/gel that they used that was left on the dash, but that wiped up very easily leaving no traces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement