I have a stage 3 ECU from Nordic but??? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th November 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY05 9-5 Aero Wagon
Default I have a stage 3 ECU from Nordic but???

History of this is pretty long so I'll just come to the question.

Since 2 weeks I have a stage 3 ECU and 3.5 FPR at the back of the car waiting for rest of the parts. Since I'm now hopeless from Nordic, I will do things locally. K&N filter already ordered and it will be with me next week. For rest of the parts:

FMIC:
- Does this mean the type of intercooler which is behind the bumper?
- What is the size to fit to 2005 Aero without connections and also enough for 300HP?
- What other specifications do I need to look at. A local shop dealing with radiators applied to his own car an tailor made IC. He proposed to make a custom made one to me as well. I don't know which material he will use but is the one to make a quality radiator also good for IC?
- I'm aware of what SectorNine50 and Guitardude.... applications so I know what attachment parts I need. But what is the difference of using aluminum or chrome tubing.

Downpipe and Exhaust:
- It will be a 3" system until the point that pipes will separate for a double 2.5" silencer.
- I hope that the downpipe can be locally made by just enlarging the current downpipe. I also have the pictures of the ones on the net as an example
- I will not have a race cat before 3 weeks. If put aside the ecological effect aside for a short period, is there any way to fool the sensors?
- At first stage, I don't even plan for a center silencer. I will decide once I hear all the notes of installation.
So what am I missing here?

Can someone show where the FPR goes?

I'm so desperate to apply the ECU that I wonder what would happen if I just swap the ECU tomorrow and drive for few days without changing anything else but the FPR at the Saab service? I won't be pushing long period on the way and probably there would be signs for me to stop pushing, right? It is also cool around here now so I belive intercooler is not a must anyway. Originally Nordic stage 3 doesn't include FMIC anyway. I just wanted to be safe on very hot summers of Turkey while also my A/C is fully operational. Now it is about 15C around here so I must be OK (and no A/C of course).

Are there other sugestions to complete this application. I looked at Samco hoses but I'm not sure if they are really necessary (turbo, coolant, vacoom etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th November 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: Hirsch 93 v6

Youre right you dont need a new intercooler to make this upgrade work correctly - but I would invest in one sometime soon so you get a good constant power and dont suffer from heat soak.

The FPR is easily fitted. Turn the car on, remove the fuel pump fuse from the fuse board. The car will cut out (need to do this otherwise the system will be under high pressure)

Take the cover off that goes over the injectors/throttle body.

Looking over the car to the right, just behind the 4th injector you will see the FPR. Using a torx screw driver undo the circular clip that holds the FPR in place.

Now, you will need to pull the FPR out - you may need to use a very small flat head screw driver to prize it out. Some residue petrol will come out, so have a rag handy. Pull of the vacuum hose and there you are!!

To fit the new one, some push in hard until it seats properly.

I think you could use your old exhaust downpipe if you drive around very slowly, but this kind of defeats the object!

Why don't you just order a JT downpipe or the like?

P
Old 9th November 2007
SaabNut!

Importing the big stuff will create problems at customs unfortunately. Downpipe would also be a big part to take with me to the plane. I found sources selling a 200 cell racecat at about 250 in UK so that would be my last option. Would it be too difficult to make a downpipe? I'm not sure what a mendrel bend is reading from the threads but my muffler shop says that 3" pipes will be bended at a facility he buys stuff with all special tooling required.

So answers to my topics would really help. Additionaly to my questions, I also wonder what would happen if I never installed a racecat and sensors always gave faulty sign.
Old 9th November 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Aero

installing a stage 3 ecu with stock hardware is a VERY bad idea. unless you're sadistic and like the sound of your engine chewing up pistons...

and are you talking about enlarging the stock dp? the fabrication required to make the stock dp into 3" dp would be a frankenstien job for the record books. in the end you'd be creating a whole new dp from scratch anyway as none of the stock parts, except for maybe the flange connecting the dp to the turbo, would be reusable. not to mention the fitment of a 3" dp designed specifically for our cars is already a bear to fit...

it seems that sourcing the parts for a stage 3 is somewhat of a challenge for you due to your location. however, it's best to remain patient until you have all the parts. it will all be worth it in the end. good luck!
Old 9th November 2007
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B~P
and are you talking about enlarging the stock dp?
I don't mean enlarging the current DP as it would be a magic as you stated. I just meant using the current DP for modelling/sizing to produce a totally new 3" one.
Old 10th November 2007
SaabNut!

Please some more comments on my IC and Exhaust system questions (esp about fooling the sensors).
Old 10th November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero 5-Speed

Your best bet IMHO is to buy the Abbott Racing downpipe and having it shipped to you.

Fabricating your own DP is not easy. A lot of these downpipes have been slaved over to get to fit right. It'd just make more sense to buy one.
Old 10th November 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero Stage !?,9-11tt
Garage
Default Don't worry!

Stage 3 will have no problems with stock downpipe-after engine conversion to 2.3L from one week ,I'm running on Nordic St 3 for Aero .My 3" JT downpipe will be shipped from Maptun in few days.
You'll just have not so much power with smaller downpipe,but FPR is very important for proper run.
About O2 sensors -I really don't know.I have two sensors in 1999 car with 2001 ECU first and now with Stage 3 I still have no problems running without cat.
Some people says that the rear O2 sensor is for Tech 2 emission control only and doesn't affect the A/F mixture-and running without cat will not produce CEL.
Increasing the size of the downpipe with patches doesn't look good idea,it is possible to make a new one and to add the cat when it arrives.
Easiest way to upgrade IC is to put one from Abbot ,S*eedparts ,ETC or Forge on stock place.
There are few articles for FMIC fitting,sizing etc.
Stage 3 is great improvement and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it.
Old 10th November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Aerolines
I don't mean enlarging the current DP as it would be a magic as you stated. I just meant using the current DP for modelling/sizing to produce a totally new 3" one.
I see what you mean now. I don't see why that would be a problem.
Old 10th November 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Quote:
Please some more comments on my IC and Exhaust system questions (esp about fooling the sensors).
Ok a comment:

Dont try and fool the sensors, they are there for a reason, they work fine so do the job right
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 10th November 2007
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 9-5
Ok a comment:

Dont try and fool the sensors, they are there for a reason, they work fine so do the job right
You are right, I'm just too desperate to have it go ASAP and I felt that before I bring the race cat from UK in 3 weeks (seems like now I have to bring the downpipe with race cat), maybe I could have done a local solution without racecat.

I'll call Abbott next week and see what they will propose. Is it a Simons DP ther are selling or their own stuff? How would that compare with a Jetex which seems to be the only option in UK.

I still think of maybe just buying the racecat from Abbott as it is the most reasonably priced race cat in UK and as my local muffler insists that he will definitely be able to do a 3" DP if I can bring him the race cat with 3" piping. I noticed that Abbott has 2 flexy in their DP compared to JT and GS ones. Is this an advantage?
Old 10th November 2007
Saab Sage!

I know at least one garage still waiting for a replacement race cat from Abbott, are you sure they are in stock
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 10th November 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
I know at least one garage still waiting for a replacement race cat from Abbott, are you sure they are in stock
Don't the DP's come with a racecat?
Old 10th November 2007
Saab Sage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorNine50
Don't the DP's come with a racecat?
Yep and some were faulty

Although thankfully mine has been fine.........
Old 10th November 2007
SaabNut!

Quote:
Nope, I will learn the situation next week. If the DP is their own design I can ask the whole thing to be prepared as small package as possible as I can have them tig welded here.
Old 10th November 2007
SaabNut!

Quote:
Yep and some were faulty

Although thankfully mine has been fine.........
Do you mean I'd better of with not approaching to Abbott for a DP with racecat nowadays?
Old 10th November 2007
Saab Sage!

Quote:
Do you mean I'd better of with not approaching to Abbott for a DP with racecat nowadays?
Not at all, I believe it was a supply problem, which is hopefully now fixed
Old 10th November 2007
SaabNut!

I really hope so, they seem to be my last resort as neither PFS nor the other site wouldn't help for any special request. I couldn't even find a DP at PFS anyway.

Last edited by Turkish Aerolines; 10th November 2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: automatic delete of the competitor site of PFS
Old 10th November 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero Stage !?,9-11tt
Garage
Default Fix

There are many suppliers of dp with cats-E*kparts have 3 kinds,Maptun even more,Nordic sell GS parts ,BSR also have.
Shipping cost for 3" dp from Sweden to Bulgaria is apr. 90 Euro,almost the same is from UK and I guess that delivery to Turkey will be similar.
According my experience Abbott use DHL only,and are very correct and ship really fast-after phone call to Mr.Giles Fairweather in Monday in Thursday my package arrived.
I guess that DHL will be bit expensive,but is very reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement