Steering Wheel lock malfunction-warning - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd November 2007

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93 Vector
Default Steering Wheel lock malfunction-warning

This message just came on the SID. The steering wheel does not seem to be locked or anything. Car does start and drive but all the display lights/SID are off.
I checked the fuse for the stereing wheel lock but its ok. Anybody have any experience with this. Could the battery just need replacing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd November 2007

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 SS Linear

I had all sorts of problems with the steering column lock. Scan the messages, there are several threads. In my case, the car would not start, and I couldn't remove the key. Dealer replaced several modules.

Bryan
Old 2nd November 2007
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear

Let it sit overnight and see if it's still happening in the morning.
Old 3rd November 2007

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Arc '2003

Battery? Is it still original from factory?
Old 5th November 2007

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93 Vector

New battery seemed to solve this and other issues. Kinda looks like you need a battery in good condition so that all things electric work as they should.
Old 5th November 2007

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                

Mine did this after I pulled the key out while it was still in drive. I disconnected my battery for a minute and it started up right away.
Old 5th November 2007

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Arc '2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab-Ed
New battery seemed to solve this and other issues. Kinda looks like you need a battery in good condition so that all things electric work as they should.
Good to hear all's OK now.
And seems that it would be wise to write on top of this forum: "Dear owners of 9-3' 2003&2004- change your battery before posting about your electrical problems"
Old 10th December 2007

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                

My wife just started receiving the infamous "steering wheel lock malfunction" warning on her 2006. We took it into the dealership and they said they aren't going to cover it because "coffee shorted it out". Has anyone run into any pushback like this? I really don't want to spend a grand on this.
Old 10th December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

What did the coffee short, the key or the steering wheel where the locking pin is. How do you get coffee in there?
Old 10th December 2007

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                

They're claiming that there's coffee residue in the ignition, which in turn, shorted out a module in the CIM tied to the steering wheel lock. The chronology of events doesn't seem to support the theory that the 2 events are related. the steering wheel lock issue began weeks ago. It wasn't until they had they car, did the ignition stop working. I'm not an electrical expert by anymeans, but the convertible has the ignition in the exact same place as the sedan, and I can't imagine that there's a line of convertibles with crap ignitions whenever they get caught with the top down. I just got off the horn with service manager, and he said he's going to put it through as a warranty but can't gaurantee it'll get covered. I'm beside myself right now.
Old 5th September 2011

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2006 saab 9-3 Aero
Default what if the battery has good output

the voltage on battery is fine. I have the same problem. car starts fine. intermediately while driving the steering lock malfunction will come on and the the SID display goes off.. radio stays on the display though. then on recheck cycle everything comes back ok and it restarts teh SID display. Saab says its my ignition switch but after reading many threads seems like thats rarely the problem. Its a 2006 saab aero with the original batter which supposedly has good voltage when tested twice? Please help and if I have to replace the ignition switch anybody now where i can find a "how to" guide. thanks again
Old 5th September 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Aero 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by just trying View Post
the voltage on battery is fine. I have the same problem. car starts fine. intermediately while driving the steering lock malfunction will come on and the the SID display goes off.. radio stays on the display though. then on recheck cycle everything comes back ok and it restarts teh SID display. Saab says its my ignition switch but after reading many threads seems like thats rarely the problem. Its a 2006 saab aero with the original batter which supposedly has good voltage when tested twice? Please help and if I have to replace the ignition switch anybody now where i can find a "how to" guide. thanks again
In most threads like these, changing the battery ends up solving the problem. Seems like there is more to it than the voltage, and an old battery can cause weird issues like these. Especially if you're on the original battery, it's time for a new one.
Old 8th September 2011

So I changed the battery. Still getting the steering wheel lock malfunction. Disconnected the battery for the entire night and restarted in the morning. as others have stated some wierd malfunctions thru four restart cycles. the windows not automatically going all the way up, the radio changing stations all of a sudden. but that seems to be passing. I will note that despite being disconnected the whole night the preset were saved and the directional compass has not had to be reset. Anyway unless anyone has any ideas on what to do next it seems like ill have to change the ignition switch. anyone know a good place to purchase one and a do it yourself guide. even taking the plastic part off so I dont totally mess up the car I love (not to mention my only one). Thank in advance for all the help. Much appreciated.
Old 11th January 2012

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by just trying View Post
So I changed the battery. Still getting the steering wheel lock malfunction. Disconnected the battery for the entire night and restarted in the morning. as others have stated some wierd malfunctions thru four restart cycles. the windows not automatically going all the way up, the radio changing stations all of a sudden. but that seems to be passing. I will note that despite being disconnected the whole night the preset were saved and the directional compass has not had to be reset. Anyway unless anyone has any ideas on what to do next it seems like ill have to change the ignition switch. anyone know a good place to purchase one and a do it yourself guide. even taking the plastic part off so I dont totally mess up the car I love (not to mention my only one). Thank in advance for all the help. Much appreciated.
Did you ever get down to the bottom of this? I have an 07 9-3 Aero and am experiencing the same thing with the steering wheel malfunction message. It comes and goes. I replaced the battery about 6k miles ago after having read these threads. The issue came back soon after. At times disconnecting the battery resets things and the error goes away, other times it locks up the ignition after disconnect and I can't start the car (when inserting the key I don't hear the click which unlocks it.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10th February 2012

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 Linear conv. 1.9TiD 2007
Default Steering lock malfunc - coffe in switch?

I'm also getting the steering lock malfunction message, just randomly for a few seconds, then it usually goes out, though on two occasions it has stayed on for long enough to make me stop the car, remove the key, and restart it, and that cleared it. No other symptoms yet. I've read various posts about needing to replace the battery, or the alternator, or the ignition switch module (ISM), but I like the idea that it might be due to drink having been spilt on the switch, and that you can just dismantle it and clean it, as described here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=219388

After all, the ignition switch is on a horizontal surface right next to the cup holder, so spilling drink into it is an accident that's bound to happen sooner or later. I probably won't get around to investigating this until the weather warms up a bit, but I'll post back here when I do.
Old 16th March 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 Areo sport combi

my 07 has the same problem that many of you are describing. I have suspected the battery might be the problem and will replace it. It always starts but cranks slowly compared to other vehicle I've owned.
Old 19th March 2012

My Saabs: 2007 93 Areo sport combi

New battery has reduced the problem to the occasional warning about the steering wheel lock. Message still comes up shortly after starting but quickly goes away.
Old 31st August 2012

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero

I finally brought the car into the dealer as the problem returned and got bad enough for me to do something about it. A new ignition switch to the tune of 150 and another 175 in labor but the issue seems resolved. Dealer mentioned that these ignition switches are pretty common to go after a few years. If it comes back I'll update the post.
Old 31st August 2012

My Saabs: 03 9-3

Similar issues, replaced the battery and then did the hold the "unlock" button on the key fob for 5 seconds and now all is well!?!?!
Old 14th October 2012

Default fixed.. for now

sorry for the lack of an update. You can take the ignition module out of the car relatively easily with a little time. There is a Do it yourself (DIY) guide somewhere here on the site (tagged below) and if not on one of the parts sites

(sorry did a quick search couldnt find it, antiquated looking website with lists of DIYs as well as parts if someone knows it please tag)

remove the module. If you want you can buy another module for 100-150 and just replace it. according to the dealer you dont need to do any reprogramming. what i did is open up the module (this can be quite difficult) and clean the inside with a q-tip and it ended up working fine. One thing i didnt do which i wish I did was use a little dielectric grease on the contact points to avoid any moisture getting in in the future. I heard this should help. If anybody has any comments about this please let me know. So far car has been working great.

If this works for you please come back and post as to help other saab owners save a little money with our beautiful cars turning into chinese electrics with likely little semblance to our original boost beasts.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=204339
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...gnition-switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement