One more time - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th September 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 87&88S,88T,91TVert, 90 Talladega Red SPG
Default One more time

Dash repair attempt II. Some of you might remember I recovered my dash with naugahyde a couple years back. That lasted pretty well, and would have probably still be going had I ever gotten around to stapling the edges and whatnot. I didn't and the glue finally gave up and it started looking ratty so today I ripped it all out. I'm taking a different approach this time.

(in case any are wondering what a naugahyde is, see insert)>>

First off I hit it with scary amounts of carb cleaner in an attempt to remove all the old glue. Nasty stuff. I hear very good things about 3M adhesive but I've never had any luck with it for anything. Either I'm not spraying both sides well enough or I'm not letting them get tacky enough before mating them or something, meh. Anyhow, so the carb cleaner did little to remove the glue, but it did melt the dash and I got rid of most of that pesky pattering on it that I was wondering how I was going to remake as I'd sanded a great deal of it off filling and repairing the cracks, front still had patterning but the top was a hodgepodge of filler and pattern.

So I grabbed the DA, slapped some 80 grit on it and went to town. Took a while but I got it cleaned up fairly well. Right now I'm working on refilling any cracks, new cracks, old cracks, getting as smooth and uniform of a surface as I can.

Now guess what is next? Bedliner. Oh yeah baby, I'm going to Rhino plate that sucker. Ok, well, I'm at least going to stick some brand of bedliner on, I don't know what would work best, spray on, roll on, spit on, meh, I haven't went shopping for it yet. But anyhow, thats the game plan. Allright, body filler should by dry now, wish me luck. (:
Advertisement

Old 30th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 05 9-3 Vector Convertible

My dash has a formed top on it which looks so close to the original it had me fooled when I bought my car. Makes me wonder if they are still around to be purchased somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30th September 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arouch
My dash has a formed top on it which looks so close to the original it had me fooled when I bought my car. Makes me wonder if they are still around to be purchased somewhere.
They are, but where's the fun in that?

My dash was attacked. I can't tell if it was a nauga or a troll. Maybe it was a fight between a troll and a nauga. Do nauga's eat trolls? I may be missing a troll then. On the upside, maybe the car will run better.

Anyhow, its coming along, I've discovered the spray on bedliner will show all the cracks and defects beneath, it gets better the more you put on, but I'm all out and thinking perhaps I should have used the roll on. But meh, its drying, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I also took my instrument pannel out, took it apart, replaced the tach with one out of another car, I now have a working instrument pannel again, well, at least the tach works, I haven't tried the lighting.

Here's me with the other cars speedometer pegged out on the highway the other day.

Man we were really flying along.
Old 1st October 2007

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t convert,1993 900s, 99 9-3 SE

HA thats great, really had me lookin at that last pic till i looked closer at the dial....On a side note hit an honest 105-110 the other day behind a bunch of mustangs on I-95 looks like they just came from the drag strip. I think they were a bit surprised to see me keeping up.
Old 2nd October 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Default Aaay!

All done. It isn't the best job, like usual I ran out of time and the car hastely reassembled and put back into service.

I used the spray cans of bedliner. If I had to do it again I think I would use the canned roll on, at least for the first coat/s to build up dept and cover any defects. The spray on leaves a nice finish, provided it doesn't build up on your finger tip and splatter, but since its thinner in consistancy, it shows any cracks or defects below.

The before pic, you could see though it in places, this was back before even the naughagyde repair attempt.

This is after the first coat. You can see where the cracks and some of the filled spots are, the whole dash was horribly warped and basically falling apart. Its starting to look a little better though.

I didn't take any pics out of the car after I had all the coats on it, I put two cans worth on it it, probably should have put one more.

From above.

There is dust on it here in this picture, and no, my piller covers dont' really look that bad in real life.

Old 2nd October 2007
Saab on the Brain!

One last pic, this shows the finish and texture well.

As I said, if I were to do this again I would use the roll on bedliner for the first coat or two as its thicker and would cover defects better, then use the spray on to finish it off once you had a uniform surface to work with.

It looks better than it did before though, so for the time being I'm more or less happy with it. I wouldn't say it looked great, or even good, but it does look alright and a lot better than it did.

Yes, I know, I have a dirty car.
Old 3rd October 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '90 900T16 3dr - For Sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt88S
The before pic, you could see though it in places, this was back before even the naughagyde repair attempt.

Did the troll or the nuaga win? That was one _vicious_ fight to the death...

Us lot in the UK tend to think you guys have it easy with all that sunshine and warm weather - we don't see sun damage anywhere *NEAR* that bad. My '90 has one small crack from the driver's side speaker/vent to the glass.
Old 23rd October 2007

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1993 9000 Aero

So, how about an update on how it's holding up? I'm thinking about giving this a whirl. Can you tell us exactly what the product you used is? Is there a certain color?
Old 23rd October 2007

It looks great to my eyes, btw, though I'd like to keep my dash indentation.
Old 25th October 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreBlofeld
So, how about an update on how it's holding up? I'm thinking about giving this a whirl. Can you tell us exactly what the product you used is? Is there a certain color?
Something like this, I got it at Wal-Mart.

Black.

Poorly.

After a few days in the sun it developed little bubbles in places, I suppose its from little air pockets.

Also, it has developed hairline cracks where the original fault lines were. Appearently the dash swells and constricts enough heating and cooling that the bedliner could't take the strain so it cracked in places.

It still looks a lot better than it did, and I think with a better surface to adhere and a better quality bedliner it would work fine. I don't think it liked the bondo much though.

I still think the roll on or actual real rhino liner type would work better. This stuff was the spray can "spray on" bedliner stuff, it really isn't much better than a tough paint.

I think something like this would work better too, it seems to be thicker and tougher.
Old 26th October 2007

Thanks for the info. Seems that Rhino has a variety of colors these days - and they offer a UV resistant option. I'm thinking about giving it a whirl soon. I'd fill in the cracks with modelling putty or something first, then sand it down... and spray it with a primer or adhesion promoter first. If I do it, I'll post the results.
Old 2nd December 2007
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1992 C900NA /1995 NG900S

Quote:
Originally Posted by arouch
The formed dash cover from eeuroparts looks great,You have to look close to tell it's a cover.
Old 2nd December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: '13 Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt88S
That is a battle zone!

I have the same stereo!
Old 2nd December 2007
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 87 900s

I like the job you did on the dash with the bedliner. looks great! im trying a few things myself to try and keep it looking as original as possible.
Old 3rd December 2007
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabMon
The formed dash cover from eeuroparts looks great,You have to look close to tell it's a cover.
Why do I suspect it's LHD only...?
Old 3rd December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 89 900 AERO, 88 900 Aero , 93 900 Aero

WHATEVER ...

Bet they dont have trolls v the naugahides at the battle of the o k Ke SAAB ...

Ot that other classic

Four weddings and a Wurthers...
Old 3rd December 2007
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1992 C900NA /1995 NG900S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2cvs
Why do I suspect it's LHD only...?
Excuse my ignorance of techno savvy.What does LHD mean?
Old 3rd December 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Left hand drive as opposed to the chaps on the other side of the pond who drive on the right hand side. If one of them was to buy our LHD dash top cover, it wouldn't fit their RHD car.
Old 4th December 2007
Saabista

Quote:
It means your steering wheel's on the wrong side of your car, unlike mine, which is on the right side.
Old 4th December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2cvs
It means your steering wheel's on the wrong side of your car, unlike mine, which is on the right side.
It may be on the right side, but i assure you, it isnt right
79 Porsche 911SC - red

Projects:
92 c900s 4dr - blue (on the backburner)

RIP:
93' c900s (drunk driver hit it)
90' c900s (deer found it attractive)
89' c900T (Friend crashed it)
88' c900T (parted)
87' c900T (parted)
89' c900s (parted)

My Bands Myspace