Clutch loses pressure - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th September 2007

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: Saab 900SE - 1992
Default Clutch loses pressure

Hi there, can anyone help me diagnose what might be wrong with the clutch on my saab. (1992SE LPT hatchback)

I had a problem with the clutch fluid (shared with brake fluid reservoir on my model). The level was low - the ABS brake light came on. When I topped up the fluid the clutch initially was ok, and then it went completely, - no pressure at all - I assumed it had sucked some air in.

After bleeding the clutch it is working fine, but sometimes it just loses pressure and the bite point on the clutch goes right to the floor (which makes for a pretty jerky ride), and I am worried that at some point it is just going to drop its pressure completely again.
The reservoir level seems stable for four weeks now and I have checked for leaks but don't appear to have any.

Anyone any ideas ?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: c900

leaking slave cylinder, i think it is quite common on c900's, ive had exact same problem on two of mine.

nathan
Old 28th September 2007

My Saabs: Saab 900SE - 1992

Hi there

thanks, I was afraid of that

Is it a big job to get done ? - am I looking at spending lots of money ?
Old 28th September 2007
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

Check the FAQ for some slave cylinder replacement threads which give you a good idea of what's involved.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62123

Probably three hours work + parts for a mechanic.

Make sure you take it to a Saab garage though as the clutch setup on a 900 is a bit weird.

Slave cylinders aren't particularl prone to leaking. Any puddles of fluid under the car?

If you check my clutch thread (in the FAQ) you'll see how to find out if the master cylinder's leaking.

Also check the flexible hose in the clutch circuit which is just before the slave cylinder.
Old 28th September 2007
SaabNut!

My Saabs: '94 900 Turbo Vert; '88 900S 3 door

My guess is a weak/dying clutch master cylinder that is allowing hydraulic (brake) fluid to bleed by the seals when you hold the clutch in is your gremlin.

The one on my 88 is starting to do that. I purposely do not hold the clutch in when waiting at intersections to prolong its life. I need to just go ahead and spring for a new one, though......
Advertisement