Suspension Upgrades - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th September 2007

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Wagon, 2010 9-3 SportCombi
Default Suspension Upgrades

I need some direction with suspension changes. My 2002 9-3SE HOT has stock suspension, stock 16" wheels, and Toyo Proxes 4 tire. I was driving a loaner car today from my local dealer - 2007 9-3 and really liked the ride feel. My current car corners really well, but it is somewhat harsh to drive even on the freeway. It has 47,000 miles on it, so the shocks could be getting tired. What I would like is a somewhat more compliant ride, but firmness when needed. I was thinking along the lines of an Eibach Pro kit with shocks, struts and different springs, but I am totally open to anything. Thanks for your assistance!
Advertisement

Old 12th September 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 00 Viggen

I like my Bilsteins HD with stock springs. I think it's softer than a stock Viggen is meant to be, but oh well. It's a less bumpy ride that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13th September 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3

i know eibach is a big name and what not but i am not a big fan of how any of the cars i been in with eibach equipped springs handled. it seemed like it was either to soft (most common with the cars i drove in) or to stiff and bouncy. a good friend of mine has eibachs in his car and after about 1-2 years they are pretty bad and sagging in the rear and noises in them and dont handle well at all. im sure they make good products but ive yet to drive in one .....
i have the koni sport kit on my 9-3 and love them!

Last edited by sleet; 13th September 2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 13th September 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 Viggen

Eibach should be good but also take a look at the Koni Sport Kit and Bilstein shocks combined with some lowering springs.
I run Koni adjustables and H&R-springs om mine and I love the combo.
Bilsteins though are supposed to be a tad bit softer than Koni's on their softest setup.

http://www.garaget.org/?car=61
Old 13th September 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-5 Combi, 99 9-3 Viggen, 85 900 SPG

For around $80 you should first snag the larger rear sway bar. Its offered by many of the tuners.
Old 13th September 2007

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3

I run Koni Sport strut and spring setup from GS
I really like the feel and love the improved handling.
If you have any questions about the setup, just let me know.
Old 13th September 2007

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet
i know eibach is a big name and what not but i am not a big fan of how any of the cars i been in with eibach equipped springs handled. it seemed like it was either to soft (most common with the cars i drove in) or to stiff and bouncy. a good friend of mine has eibachs in his car and after about 1-2 years they are pretty bad and sagging in the rear and noises in them and dont handle well at all. im sure they make good products but ive yet to drive in one .....
i have the koni sport kit on my 9-3 and love them!
I THINK the Eibach's have a lifetime warranty or something close to it. He should definitely get them replaced. I have the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Bilstein Sport shocks on my '99 9-3, and the ride/handling is better than stock. A little harsh over bad bumps, but overall much more composed.
-Genuine SAAB Steering Rack Clamp/Brace
-17" Dual 3-Spoke "Aero" Wheels
-SAAB Stainless Steel Sport Exhaust
-K&N Filter Element
-Turbo Silencer Removed
Old 13th September 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: Tuned NG900, stock 99 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmalen
I need some direction with suspension changes. My 2002 9-3SE HOT has stock suspension, stock 16" wheels, and Toyo Proxes 4 tire. I was driving a loaner car today from my local dealer - 2007 9-3 and really liked the ride feel. My current car corners really well, but it is somewhat harsh to drive even on the freeway. It has 47,000 miles on it, so the shocks could be getting tired. What I would like is a somewhat more compliant ride, but firmness when needed. I was thinking along the lines of an Eibach Pro kit with shocks, struts and different springs, but I am totally open to anything. Thanks for your assistance!
The 2003+ 9-3s have independent rear suspension, so you'll feel a more comfortable ride, especially over bumps that affect one wheel more than another (potholes, storm drains), or at a different time than the other wheel (train tracks, angled roadway cracks, speed bumps)

Also...if you drove a stock 9-3, that might actually have a softer spring rate than your 02 SE, which has a "sport suspension" of slighly lower and stiffer springs.

If you're happy with the way your car currently handles, then forget about getting springs. Any of the lowering springs mentioned here are going to stiffen the ride and make it slightly harsher, but that's the tradeoff for looks and performance. It's doubtful that your shocks are bad (stock ones routinely last 150K miles or more) but anything is possible.

<--- has Konis, B+G springs, 17-inch wheels...
Old 13th September 2007
Saab Crazy

Just put in bilsteins hd's and be done with it. lowering will only produce a harsh ride. Oh and shocks do not routinely last 150k. They will and can go at any time, usually before 100k.
Old 13th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3SE JZW Stg IV

look for the post title "not a bad way to spend $500" All the good suspension mods are listed in there, with the exception of the KONI lowering kit.
Old 13th September 2007

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Wagon, 2010 9-3 SportCombi

Forgive my ignorance, but what or how will a rear stabilizer bar affect the handling?
Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 13th September 2007
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what or how will a rear stabilizer bar affect the handling?
The stock part is not very stiff and when switching to a stiffer one, it will help keep the rear tires planted on the ground better. You get a bit rougher ride though but no biggie.
Old 14th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999 BMW 328is

I have B+G springs and Koni Sport strut's and I LOVE them, they handle great and the ride isn't all that bad...... then again I haven’t driven on bad roads or the high way yet so, yea.

I say that if this is your daily driver and you already think your ride is rough/bumpy, then don't get lowering springs.

Old 14th September 2007
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc73
Just put in bilsteins hd's and be done with it. lowering will only produce a harsh ride. Oh and shocks do not routinely last 150k. They will and can go at any time, usually before 100k.

Then quit offroading and doing rally jumps!

Maybe I;ve just been lucky but in seven Saabs driven over the past 18 years, I've never replaced a set of shocks before 180K miles, but I'm going to need to do that in another few weeks on my wife's NG900...

wait...that's not quite true....I replaced my stock shocks on my NG900 when they had 135K miles, but that was to upgrade to the Konis.
Old 14th September 2007
Saabista

Quote:
A rear anti-sway bar acts to increase the effective spring rate of the rear suspension, making the springs feel stiffer than they are. It helps mostly around corners, with the drawback of a slightly harsher ride.

Most folks, myself included, feel it's one of the easiest and most cost effective handling upgrades for the car....
Old 14th September 2007

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
Maybe I;ve just been lucky but in seven Saabs driven over the past 18 years, I've never replaced a set of shocks before 180K miles, but I'm going to need to do that in another few weeks on my wife's NG900...

wait...that's not quite true....I replaced my stock shocks on my NG900 when they had 135K miles, but that was to upgrade to the Konis.
DITTO with the following amendments to reflect my personal experience:
Maybe I've just been lucky, but in four Saabs I have owned and driven over the past 17 years, I've never replaced a set of shocks before 180K miles. I have replaced a blown rear shock on my wife's 2002 Ford Focus SE wagon at 30,000 miles . . .

Wait...that's not quite true....I replaced my stock shocks on my NG900 when they had 138K miles, but that was to upgrade to the Bilsteins.

Saunders, I swear sometimes we are the same dude. Come to think of it, I have never seen you in the same room at the same time I am there . . .
Old 14th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 aero 5spd 3dr

With my limited knowledge and experience of these cars (so far) it seems that due to the rather crude suspension layout it's not possible to have both a car that handles well and that is comfortable at the same time.
Old 14th September 2007

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

In a way this is a true statement of any car, even a well balanced good-handling comfortable car straight from the factory. By that I mean, each and every car has its own polar extremes on the comfort - performance continuum. A factory BMW is a good example of a car that offers very good handling with a decently comfortable ride. But it can be tuned to be a track monster (which will make the ride more unsuitable for regular street driving) or to be floating boulevard cruiser (which will have it wallowing around corners like mid-eighties Cadillac). I suppose it is true that the better it is that you start out with, the better it can be made while keeping comfort and performance within its capabilities, and in this regard the NG900s were somewhat lacking. The rear is merely a semi-independent torsion beam set up that, while cheap and tried and tested, still suffers from the weaknesses inherent in any non-fully independent setup. The front uses the venerable McPherson struts, but the control arms are short and there is only one per side (a step back from the twin upper and lower arms of the classic 900).
Face it, fewer links makes the travel more limited, the geometry more incorrect, and every bump, dip and transition will communicate every vibration to the driver. Through the steering wheel and the seats. And even the ears.
So your statement is, in that regard, MORE true for our cars than for many others out there. There are some that are even worse however.
Old 14th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 aero 5spd 3dr

There are definatley worse cars alright but coming from the older c900 that has suspension that dates from the late 60's the NG900/9-3 that should benefit from another 20 years of automotive development is a big step backwards.
Advertisement