Aftermarket radio - won't turn on without ignition on - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th September 2007

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 5dr 5sp
Default Aftermarket radio - won't turn on without ignition on

Is there no Accessory setting on Saabs? I just bought a 2000 9-3 that has an aftermarket deck, amp and speakers, and I can't seem to turn it on without having the ignition on. Is this an error in how it was hooked up? Is there a workaround (most cars have an ACC setting which allows the radio to work at least).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th September 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Sportcombi 2.0T, 5-M/T

On my 1995 900S, the factory radio turns on when you go to the "OFF" position on the key; the Saab equivalent to "ACCY", except that accessories like the power windows and the lighter plug won't work unless you turn to "ON".
However, with the OEM radio, you can also turn the radio on without the key; it plays for one hour, then turns off to save the battery. This can be repeated over and over, however.
I'm thinking that they didn't use the switched power line that went to the factory radio to power the aftermarket radio. And it's quite possible that there was no practical way to do this because of the way the OEM unit integrates in with the cars electronics.
Old 10th September 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

I do not think any Euro car has ever had an 'accessory' ignition switch setting..Maybe GM has a patent lock on this ???? But the Saab OEM radio can play for ?45? minutes or so with the key on "off"...

And a clever DIY can wire the after-market radio circuit to always be hot.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 10th September 2007

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 5dr 5sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm
I do not think any Euro car has ever had an 'accessory' ignition switch setting..Maybe GM has a patent lock on this ????
Every car I have ever owned has had one, including VWs, Subarus, Hondas, Mitsubishis. Odd...
Old 10th September 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

I've always considered the key position where the windows, door locks, fan, and radio turn on to be the accessory position. My Saab has this position, and so do all of our other cars. If your radio won't go on in this position, then it's hooked up incorrectly. Some VW wiring harnesses, which are what most people use when connecting an aftermarket radio to a Saab, have the accessory and constant power wires switched. You might want to pull the radio out and verify that they're in the right spot.
Old 4th June 2011

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                

I also have the same issue, I have just swapped the factory radio/cd with an aftermarket one. before the OEM saab radio would switch on when no key in and come on when the key was in the first click (unlabeled but normally acc). since the fitment of the after market one this no longer works, i have tried the normal fix of switching memory (Yellow) and live (red) around but either way it will still not come on. I'm wondering if the saab oem radio used the EBUS low / ebus high connections on the connector at the back to control this function, as it controles the steel wheel buttons, and must be used to talk to the computer to say that it is married to the car.

does anyone have any coment on this, is this correct
Old 4th June 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

You might want to identify the particular car/model year that you are asking about... Ron
Old 17th June 2011

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1997 saab 900se
Default 2002 9-3 se

I have the same issue. ignition is labeled "lock-off-on-start"

OEM would continue to run until key was removed. Aftermarket turns off when switched from on-off.

OEM switched from on-off, only item that would work would be the radio all other electronics/lights would turn off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement