Lamborghini Murcielago - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge
The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-09-07
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
Default Lamborghini Murcielago

To make this SAAB related, I was driving with the roof down today and was enjoying a brisk 15 degree celsius high speed run in my SAAB. I get into town and coming the other direction I spot a Lamborghini Murcielago in black color.

I know that a person is to bow down to the all mighty supercar, but this one didn't do it for me. It was the most understated exotic car I have seen on the road. I have seen Murcielagos up close and personal and really like them. I have drooled over pictures of the Murcielago. However, on the road it had as much "presence" as a Honda Accord with a wing. Out here I have seen Ferraris, Porsches, and the occasional koenigsegg on the road and thought "wow, what a car. I must sell both kidneys and one lung to get one." The Murcielago was just meh.

Maybe it is just me, maybe it was the color, maybe it was because he was driving very slow, but the car just didn't make me get all excited that I had just seen a rare supercar. I thought that was the point of a supercar, everything in excess. Is Audi doing Lamborghini a disservice by bringing in their oh so german conservative and ultimately boring design?

Has anyone else seen a Murcielago driving on the road and thought.....meh?

I will admit to being crazy for seeing a Murcielago and not drooling .
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
-- Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-07
Saab on the Brain!

My Saabs: '09 Forester XT

Well it is pretty basic in shape. I rember seeing ferraris around and wondering if its really just an old MR2 spider, a nissan something, or a ford probe .

I think the Ford GT really stands out though, for some reason. I saw one bottoming out in the middle of boston on flat road!

but i think understated cars are the best kind, i would prefer not to attract more attention to myself than necessary
Old 06-09-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: Ehh....none

I saw a Ferrari 612 the other day (the ******* didn't let me out when I was picking up a Subway) and I was strangely unmoved by it as well. It just looks stupidly big & wide from behind. Same with the F430, the front end just doesn't have good proportions to my eyes. There are a couple run around near me and they just don't look as good in the flesh as they do in pictures. I've seen a Murcielago and to be honest I thought it looked better than the Ferrari's.

Personally, I think it's more to do with getting older. I don't lust after the latest supercars the way I did when I was 18. Whenever I see a 328 I still almost drive off the road and I once saw a 288 GTO, which I WILL have one day Cars that were cutting edge when I was younger.
Old 06-09-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: '01 Viggen (JZW Stage 3) & '02 9-3 Vert

My boss bought a brand new custom Ferarri of some sort early this summer... something like $450,000!! I dont care what anyone says, that car looks really fuggin good! Sounds incredible. He usually has it sitting out front... I'll see if I can snap a shot of it and post it up here.
Old 06-09-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1997 9000 Aero 5-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Trout
288 GTO, which I WILL have one day

+ 10,000,000 * pssst pssst *
Old 06-09-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3CV auto

I passed one in a 9-3SC with the top down but he was going full whack as he passed me so that made it sound nice.. I still like ferrari's better tho, sound much better IMO
Old 06-09-07
Saab Crazy

Quote:
.....Personally, I think it's more to do with getting older. I don't lust after the latest supercars the way I did when I was 18.....
You have a point here. I am getting older and maybe a little less easily impressed.

My lusts from younger years are the Lamborghini Countach, Aston Martin DB7, and the Lotus Esprit. I was always more of a Lamborghini fan than a Ferrari fan for some reason, although the 328 and Testarossa can still get me excited.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
-- Douglas Adams
Old 06-09-07

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: JK Rubicon..HAD an '04 9-3 Aero-STUPIDME

Quote:
Personally, I think it's more to do with getting older. I don't lust after the latest supercars the way I did when I was 18.
Explain me then, I'm only 19 and I'm not really infatuated with the latest crop of supercars. the Black Turbo has me excited, but the supercars these days are too over the top for my tastes.
There's always an exception to the rule:
I am fully infatuated with the new 911GT2, the Aston Martin DBS, and the Aston Martin Vanquish S (not really a supercar though, just a super car). I prefer the understated elegance of the cars that are just so damn awesome that they don't need to go over the top trying to get attention. Attention-whore cars just aren't for me I suppose. I saw a mid/late 1980's Porsche 911 Targa in a parking lot when my girlfriend and I went out for dinner (actually it was that car in the lot that sealed the deal on that particular restaurant ), and I drooled over that for a few minutes. A 1987 911 Turbo/Carrera is my current lust item.
Old 06-09-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: none, but it's coming again...

the main reason i don't like the really high end supercars is that theres not much left for you to upgrade on them, at least with our saabs or any comparable cars, theres always room for improvement, on those there's almost no room, takes all the fun out of it to me
Old 06-09-07
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowgodCCR
Explain me then, I'm only 19 and I'm not really infatuated with the latest crop of supercars. the Black Turbo has me excited, but the supercars these days are too over the top for my tastes.
I am fully infatuated with the new 911GT2, the Aston Martin DBS, and the Aston Martin Vanquish S (not really a supercar though, just a super car). I prefer the understated elegance of the cars that are just so damn awesome that they don't need to go over the top trying to get attention. Attention-whore cars just aren't for me I suppose. I saw a mid/late 1980's Porsche 911 Targa in a parking lot when my girlfriend and I went out for dinner (actually it was that car in the lot that sealed the deal on that particular restaurant ), and I drooled over that for a few minutes. A 1987 911 Turbo/Carrera is my current lust item.
The easy explanation is you're not me You either like supercars or you find them a bit crass. I love 'em. The Black Turbo's an interesting car but if I had 30,000 to spend on a car (which I wouldn't spend on a car anyway) it would be going on something used and a lot more exotic. I'm with you on the 911 but I, personally, think Aston's are stylistically, mechanically and technologically backward compared to what the Italian's do, when at their best.
Old 06-09-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: sorted 9K Aero 1993, 9000R, 454 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee Vert
To make this SAAB related, I was driving with the roof down today and was enjoying a brisk 15 degree celsius high speed run in my SAAB. I get into town and coming the other direction I spot a Lamborghini Murcielago in black color.

I know that a person is to bow down to the all mighty supercar, but this one didn't do it for me. It was the most understated exotic car I have seen on the road. I have seen Murcielagos up close and personal and really like them. I have drooled over pictures of the Murcielago. However, on the road it had as much "presence" as a Honda Accord with a wing. Out here I have seen Ferraris, Porsches, and the occasional koenigsegg on the road and thought "wow, what a car. I must sell both kidneys and one lung to get one." The Murcielago was just meh.

Maybe it is just me, maybe it was the color, maybe it was because he was driving very slow, but the car just didn't make me get all excited that I had just seen a rare supercar. I thought that was the point of a supercar, everything in excess. Is Audi doing Lamborghini a disservice by bringing in their oh so german conservative and ultimately boring design?

Has anyone else seen a Murcielago driving on the road and thought.....meh?

I will admit to being crazy for seeing a Murcielago and not drooling .
Seen them used in anger in Germany on the Ring, AWESOME noise and go factor, want one...
Old 06-09-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3CV auto

I'm 18 I would rather have an aston or a nice benz or a jag rather than a 911.. I think its gotten cliche and plus i'd rather have the elegance than all out loudmouth.
Old 06-09-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1988 C900 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowgodCCR

I have a thing for the late '80s 911s. Has to be the hard top though, with the huge whale tail. I actually looked at one for sale a couple months ago. It was a black '88........one day I will own one.
Old 06-09-07

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: JK Rubicon..HAD an '04 9-3 Aero-STUPIDME

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamonkey
I have a thing for the late '80s 911s. Has to be the hard top though, with the huge whale tail. I actually looked at one for sale a couple months ago. It was a black '88........one day I will own one.
I agree with you 100%. I want either a late 80's or early 90's Turbo. Black on Black, whaletail, wide body, the whole deal. I'm going to be picking up an 85.5 944 2.5L in the very near future. My first Porsche!
Old 06-09-07
Stephen Z

Default Ferrari

I work for a larger motor coach company in the north east (like Greyhound)the owner ordered a new ferrari last fall for about 455K with a friggen AUTOMATIC what a Dumb ***
Old 06-09-07
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, '02 Trailblazer

couple days ago, i was walking down a street in boston and I saw this really sexy looking silver car. i was so excited, i ran towards it and walked around. the car turned out to be a Saab 9-5 areo and it was all mine. MINE!!
Old 07-09-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: '90 900T - '75 96 - '90 9000T - '99 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee Vert
You have a point here. I am getting older and maybe a little less easily impressed.

My lusts from younger years are the Lamborghini Countach, Aston Martin DB7, and the Lotus Esprit. I was always more of a Lamborghini fan than a Ferrari fan for some reason, although the 328 and Testarossa can still get me excited.
Me too. It might be an age thing, or maybe it's a style thing. Maybe it's a bit like most of the music that is played nowadays. Do I not like it because I hanker for older stuff, or because it actually is below par? Hmmmmm...

The Murcielago doesn't do it for me because apart from the side view, there is nothing particularly distinctive about it that shouts MURCIELAGO! If I had that much fold to part with, I'd surely want that.

IMHO the older cars such as the ones you've pointed out above were conceived and built with unique character and distinctivness as an integral part of the whole design.

The Murcielago, I feel, misses out on this point, although I concede it's probably a great car in other respects. Curiously though, there are plenty of modern cars that still display those values, the Ferrari F430 being one of them. So is the Muricielago a boring design, or is it just me?

Fortunately in model development there is often a high point where the past meets the present in a pleasing union; later derivatives of cars which have enjoyed a long shelf life do tend to develop into very good packages in terms of improved and updated style, performance and reliability.

The mid-90s Esprit counts as one example in my book. While one might harbour a certain fondness for the early models, I think the last ones to drive out of the factory were good looking well-refined machines that still had the design cues of the first ones, but something nicely refined and fresh in the reinterpretation. Same went for mechanicals and other refinements. And that is only the Lotus. No doubt others would feel similarly about their favorites.

I couldn't imagine a big crowd drooling over the 2020 model Murcielago. If you start with something "ho-hum" in the design department, you can't refine it..... but it can be reborn with a new name and body
Old 07-09-07
Super Moderator

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1995 9000 Aero.

For anyone who lusts after Italian exotic cars, I couldn't recomend more, an Italian bike. You feel like you are riding the bike equivalents of famous cars, for a fraction of the price.
Old 07-09-07
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba
For anyone who lusts after Italian exotic cars, I couldn't recomend more, an Italian bike. You feel like you are riding the bike equivalents of famous cars, for a fraction of the price.
I might as well hanker after a Mig 29. There's more chance the wife would let me buy one
Old 07-09-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 87 900t CV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba
Yeah and the bike isn't sporting a Ford engine!!
Advertisement