Highbeams+Fogs. - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: MCYellow 3Dr Viggen, 2000 9-3 SE 3Dr Blk
Default Highbeams+Fogs.

I've noticed that when I switch from high to low, and I hold in the stalk, that the highbeams stay on and the fogs illuminate. Once I let-off on the stalk the lows turn on with fogs. If I hold in the stalk both the highs and the fogs stay on until I release the stalk.

How can I wire the lighting system on my Viggen to have the fogs stay on when I switch to highs?

Rogo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE 2.0t

I believe this is meant to prevent extended periods of use with high-beams and fogs, as this may overload the existing headlight wiring. A tech-2 could probably program it so this is possible, but I'd imagine you would want to re-wire the headlight/foglight harness with heavier gauge wire (and perhaps fuses) to prevent it from melting.
Old 6th September 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-5 Combi, 99 9-3 Viggen, 85 900 SPG

I found by holding the stalk both filiments in the main bulb stay on too.
Old 6th September 2007
jeff3

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

I thought the wiring to the fogs and headlights is independent and through separate relay/switches. If this is true, and I am not saying it is, perhaps Saab purposely limited use of the fogs to when the lowbeams are on since it is always contraindicated to use highbeams in the fog?
Old 6th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3

I've read that it's illegal to run fogs and high beams at the same time. Though it seems unlikely that anyone would bother to pull you over for it unless they're looking for a reason to pull you over.

Also, I thought when you held the stalk back like that, it ran the highs and the lows at the same time, and maybe the fog lights as well. But I could certainly be wrong.
Old 6th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saab

Tech-2 did it for me. Took my bud only a few minutes to do. (originally supposed to program the euro-city lights but I digress)

The dual-lit headlight filaments is something I posted about some time ago in my search for increased lighting.

It was suggested not to do it as it taxes the wiring big-time....
(more than my 85w low beams? )
Old 6th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE 2.0t

..Its too bad aftermarket plug-and-play heavy duty headlight harnesses aren't available for more cars. Some friends have re-wired various cars' headlight harnesses for higher wattage bulbs, and it was a pain to do.

I'd consider it on the Saab, but I don't do enough dark countryside driving to necessitate it.
Old 6th September 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

The big reason the highbeams and the fog lights don't run at the same time is because if it's foggy, the light from your highbeams will reflect right back in your face. Basically, the only real time you should be using one type of lights is exactly the time you wouldn't want to be using the other. Not that people don't like to drive with all of their lights blazing anyway...
Old 6th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Hm, so the consensus is; get a tech2 to change the settings?

Thanks for the imput so far fellas!

Rogo
Old 6th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin
Hm, so the consensus is; get a tech2 to change the settings?

Thanks for the imput so far fellas!

Rogo
While I totally agree with Jeremy that too many people use too many lights most of the time, I say get it done.

We are Saabers after all and not like the majority of people...
Old 7th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1995 BMW M3

I live in the middle of absolutely nowhere, and drive home frequently in the pitch black with untamed dogs and deer constantly skirting around my headlights, and because of these roads I have learned four things.

One- Fog lights aren't just good for fog, they help you see into those hairpin corners earlier than the low or high beams.

Two- High beams help you see the deer sooner.

Three- Deer are a GREAT reason to see if your ABS still works

Four- The ABS on my car is kinda crummy.

However, the only ones we are concerned with are one and two (although free free to inquire about number four's backstory). ANYHOO, having both the high beams and fog lights would be a great advantage on deer-populated-hairpinny roads, but I agree with redrum and would be concerned about overloading the fuses and the wiring. And would probably want to bulk those up before having someone reprogram the car.
Old 7th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: none

I just started to notice odd operation in my fog lights recently. I've had DRL disabled by tech 2 but I noticed when I have the head lights turned off and I signal, the corresponding fog light will turn on? i'm guessing its another tech 2 option? seems strange to me.

But when drivng at night with the foglights and headlights on, I like the extra light on the sides of the car made by the fogs. Illuminating the ground for a good foot on either side.
Old 7th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

I am doing a lot of night driving on fairly sparce roads with lots of deer and coyotes, so I think I'll do it.

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Rogo
Old 10th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sap
I just started to notice odd operation in my fog lights recently. I've had DRL disabled by tech 2 but I noticed when I have the head lights turned off and I signal, the corresponding fog light will turn on? i'm guessing its another tech 2 option? seems strange to me.

But when drivng at night with the foglights and headlights on, I like the extra light on the sides of the car made by the fogs. Illuminating the ground for a good foot on either side.
SAP - I notice the same thing on my 99 9-3. I have long ago disabled the daytime driving lights by pulling the fuse, but when I signal w/out the headlights on the correspondling fog light comes on. I thought I had a wiring gremlin but now that I know someone else has the same issue I'm thinking it is working as designed.

Tony
Old 10th September 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws
...but when I signal w/out the headlights on the correspondling fog light comes on. I thought I had a wiring gremlin but now that I know someone else has the same issue I'm thinking it is working as designed.

Tony
Those aren't really the fog lights coming on, but a separate cornering light that's in each fog light housing. A lot of older American cars have them on the sides of the front bumper, and Saab put them in the fog lights of the 9-3 and 9-5 for the first couple of years.
Old 10th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R.
Those aren't really the fog lights coming on, but a separate cornering light that's in each fog light housing. A lot of older American cars have them on the sides of the front bumper, and Saab put them in the fog lights of the 9-3 and 9-5 for the first couple of years.
Cool JR - Thanks for that info!
Old 10th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 SE Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sap

I just checked this out on my '02 and I do not have this feature. I have the switch wired to the Euro setting and the #15 fuse is pulled, so I run the city lights constantly when the switch is set to off. With my turnsignals on, the foglights do not light up.

Do you know if that is a separate tech2 setting or is it supposed to be a function of the Euro lights setting?

I wish I could find a listing of tech2 settings so I could request what I want at my next oil change.
"I be SAAB'n, mon."

Old 11th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: none

thanks for the explaination jeremy.

now after closer observations of the fogs i've noticed that the same thing happens when the headlight switch is turned to ON. so no matter the headlight selector position, 1 fog will come on when turning. Can this be turned off?

Saabsean - there is a list of tech 2 options on the saablink forums but the servers are down right now. i'll post the link later
Old 11th September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 SE Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sap
Saabsean - there is a list of tech 2 options on the saablink forums but the servers are down right now. i'll post the link later
That would be great! Thx!
"I be SAAB'n, mon."

Old 11th September 2007

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
Default high beams

hey all im kinda new to the saab world ive been working on cars for 25 plus years
ok my problen is i just replaced the head lamp bulbs and now the drivers side high beam wont work again?
also im having a hard time ajusting the head lamp hights
i turn the nob but nothing happens what and how can i fix this
95 900se turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement