Vibration at highway speeds, Please Help! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th September 2007

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero
Default Vibration at highway speeds, Please Help!

Hi guys,

I am having the hardest time trying to figure out what is causing my vibrations while driving on the highway. I recently had new tires put on the car, mounted and balanced. I brought my car to the saab dealership and had them do a four-wheel alignment, $130. But my steering wheel still vibrates and shakes over 55 mph.

Note: My left front rim has some nice chunks taken out of it as well as some curb rash from the previous driver. Is it possible that whatever this person did to cause that could have possibly done something to the steering/suspension that is causing my problem? (Rotating the tires does not change vibration though)

I am also getting some very strange tire wear which should not happen after balancing and a 4 wheel alignment. My tires are scalloping/cupping on the outer edge. If you rub your hand over the tire from front to back it is like rubbing a fish against the scales.

Any help would be great. This is such an annoying thing and I have done everything I know to try and fix it to no avail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 Wagon (RIP); 05 9-5 Aero (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver02aero
My left front rim has some nice chunks taken out of it as well as some curb rash from the previous driver.
Maybe that rim is bent?
Old 5th September 2007

If I put that wheel on the back it does not make a difference with the vibration. The shaking seems to be coming from the front end. I thought that maybe the force hitting the wheel bent/broke some part of the front suspension/ steering which has cause the car to be permenently out of alignment but im not sure.

I remember reading a thread a while back about some other person who had a vibration between 70-75 mph, which I notice too, and he replaced something other than doing an alignment. He said that it made it go away. I can't find that thread though and a cant remember what he changed. Perhaps it was a bushing or something.
Old 5th September 2007
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

It sounds like it could be bad shock absorbers. Check to see if they are leaking or have them tested at the dealer or other place. I checked the warranty record for my car and shock replacement is showing up twice on there.
Old 5th September 2007

My Saabs: 2000 9-5 SE Wagon, 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon

I agree with Wulf, check the front struts! How any miles are on your car?

A good alignment or tire shop should have inspected your suspension for wear prior to doing a 4 wheel alignment. How many miles have you put on it since you had the alignment done? Most shops give some kind of warranty on their alignments but it may not be much (30-90 days) so I would take it back to the dealer first.

Cupping and abnormal tire wear is a good sign that your struts are toast.

In the short time that I've owned my '00 9-5 SE Wagon I have noticed they are very sensitive to wheel balancing. I replaced my suspension with the Aero Suspension at 108,000 miles and the new struts cured about 90% of my wheel vibration at speed. It was vibrating pretty harshly from 70-74mph and now I only get a minor rumble.

BenP
Atlanta, Ga
Old 5th September 2007

I just replaced the entire suspension recently with new struts and eibach springs. Then I had the car aligned. I had the vibration before and after the suspension change so I dont think that is the problem.

There was nothing wrong with the old parts either. I simply wanted to enhance the looks of the car by lowering it an inch or so. Also the tire wear issue was happening with the old tires as well. I did this change maybe 5,000 miles ago and my tires are already looking like the old ones. And this is all after a 4 wheel alignment. The saab dealer did not say anything about my suspension components when they did the alignment. When I picked it up they just said, "yup it was out of alignment so that should be better." So I don't know what to do.

I suppose I could bring it somewhere to have them check the balance on the tires. I had toyo proxes put on at Town Fair Tire and the guys who did it seemed like complete idiots, in fact when I went they put a completely different size tire on one side of my car!

Do you think I should go have someone check the balancing?
Old 5th September 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Quote:
the guys who did it seemed like complete idiots, in fact when I went they put a completely different size tire on one side of my car!

Do you think I should go have someone check the balancing?
Erm....................yes

If the car has been properly aligned then the suspension etc should have been looked over - the only item seemingly staying the same with upgrades etc here is the wheel /tires combo.
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 5th September 2007

I am going to bring my car to a local shop that I found doeas the raod force balancing and straighttrack alignment and have them take a look at it. I geuss all balancing machines are not always correct and this new technology appears to be the best.

Thanks guys for all your help! I'll let you know how it turns out
Old 5th September 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Quote:
Thanks guys for all your help! I'll let you know how it turns out
Please do and good luck
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 5th September 2007
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

Quote:
I geuss all balancing machines are not always correct and this new technology appears to be the best.
Balancing machines that are not calibrated properly and employees operating the machines are probably the main cause for problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement