Radiator drain plug - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd September 2007

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1993 Saab 900S Notchback "The Turtle"
Default Radiator drain plug

How do I get it off? I've been trying for an hour and practically ruined it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1988 900 SPG

Do you have to remove it? Or, are you trying to open it? Either way it should be lefty- loosy, just different sized tools.
Old 2nd September 2007

I got it but I'm still having problems. I'm leaking antifreeze and it loses antifreeze quickly after I fill the container up. I've been told it's a water pump issue. How hard is it to do that repair and where is the water pump? Also it looks like where the transmission is (I think), is where its leaking. It's in the middle.
Old 2nd September 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900

why do you need to use the drain plug? is it leaking.

if you cant undo it just drain the system by looseing the bottom rad hose using the jubilee clip.

The water pump is belt driven on the back of your engine (near the bulkhead), kinda above the crank pulley and across from the alternator.
Old 2nd September 2007
Saab Lunatic

The water pump is not too horrible to replace. It's in the middle of the back of the engine bay(wich is actually the front of the engine ). can you post photos? Your problem sounds like a plumbing leak to me.
Old 2nd September 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900 turbo 5 sp.

Quote:
Also it looks like where the transmission is (I think), is where its leaking. It's in the middle.
is the leak at the front of the car, or rear?

if you are seeing the coolant leaking off the transmission guard, where it is dripping to the ground may be misleading. is the coolant dripping off the bottom of the transmission? the front or rear? on many cars, the turbo is both water and oil cooled. one of the water coolant lines is run off the bottom/front of the turbo and across the front of the transmission (by front, i am referring to the front of the car). the is tapped into the lower radiator hose, which is where it may well be leaking.

if the leak is dripping off the back of the engine, more between the wheels than at the front, then your leak might well be a shot water pump.
Old 2nd September 2007
Saab Lunatic

Thank you for clarificating that (yer backwards is on frontwards. ), now I'm confused.
Old 2nd September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xassh
is the leak at the front of the car, or rear?

if you are seeing the coolant leaking off the transmission guard, where it is dripping to the ground may be misleading. is the coolant dripping off the bottom of the transmission? the front or rear? on many cars, the turbo is both water and oil cooled. one of the water coolant lines is run off the bottom/front of the turbo and across the front of the transmission (by front, i am referring to the front of the car). the is tapped into the lower radiator hose, which is where it may well be leaking.

if the leak is dripping off the back of the engine, more between the wheels than at the front, then your leak might well be a shot water pump.
Ok thanks, its leaking off the transmission guard. Yes it's between the wheels than the front.
Old 3rd September 2007

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '92 900LPT, '90 900i vert

Run the car until the engine's properly warmed up. Then, with the engine still running, pop the hood and look for steam. That'll likely be your leak (there may not be much steam if the leak is slow). For the water pump, there's a weep hole tucked in under the pulley. You would be able to see it with a hand mirror (engine OFF for this test!).

When I replaced my water pump, I just unbolted the pump and allowed the coolant to drain out. It was mostly water at that stage 'cos I had to wait for the pump to arrive so I was just topping up with water. It only took about 2 litres to fill it up again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement