Buying a Sport Sedan - Things to look for - Best Year? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th August 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9 Aero
Default Buying a Sport Sedan - Things to look for - Best Year?

Hello All,

Looking at purchasing a used sport sedan and have a few questions. I want to get a Vector or Aero model depending on the year and have heard multiple things. I know that I want a 6spd Manual. To my understanding I can only get a 2003 or a 2005 for this and that some years had grinding synchros and a radiator problem. Also I have heard that the 03's have better brakes, and they were downgraded the next 2 years to save on cost. Any input on this is appreciated. I may even go for an 06 V6 if I can find the right one. Let me know what you guys think. Good things. bad things, personal experieces. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th August 2007
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                

I have a 2005 Aero and I love it, but IMO the best year for Aero's was 06. Every year has positives and negatives of what was added or deleted.

06 they added the V6 250 HP engine, dual exhaust, the sport steering is better, body colored door handles, and the SID and display are still there. I think with the 07 and 08's it doesn't look good without the navigation display. Even then I am not a fan of the dash redesign.

I do think the the old 2003-2005 Aero 5 double spoke rims look better than the 06 rims. That is really the only knock on 06, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27th August 2007
Banned

If you really want wood grain I saw this on ebay. Probably the best wood grain dash I've seen. It doesn't look like a peel and stick job and might actually look decent with wood grain console and door trim w/o over kill like some of the dash kits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Old 28th August 2007
Saab Crazy

Im really leaning towards an 2003 Vector as I think it is the most bang for the buck, unless there are any horror stories. But I would get it CPO so I know it had any recalls performed and get some sort of warranty
Old 28th August 2007
Banned

People have different opinions, but personally I would avoid 2003's they have had the most problems as being the first year of a big model redesign. People claim all the bugs are gone, but I would not buy a 2003. I would say the same about 2008 with all the changes in the 9-3SS model. IMO, no matter whom the manufacturer is the first year of redesign always has the most problems.
Old 28th August 2007
Saab Crazy

that is definately true, and I agree with you. However, going with a CPO any of the TSB's should have already been done and I would make sure they were done before purchase. Also the more I read, 2003 had more features that were dropped in other years. Also it may be of more value in the long run due to the fact that was the olnly year to be called vector and might pay dividends in the long run. .......but probably just a pipe deam of mine
Old 28th August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: None. ex-owner of an '06 9-3 Aero
Default 06 Aero SS, FTW

06 Aero, for the win:
  • 2.8L Turbo V6
  • Dual Exhaust
  • 6 Speed Auto
  • Non GM-ified dashboard (SID, Stereo, Climate)
  • Aux input in armrest, no dangling wires on the dash.
Not that I'm biased ....

Last edited by LaserRed9-3Aero; 28th August 2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 28th August 2007
Saab Crazy

believe me I would love to but its like double the price.
Old 28th August 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingG2
If you really want wood grain I saw this on ebay. Probably the best wood grain dash I've seen. It doesn't look like a peel and stick job and might actually look decent with wood grain console and door trim w/o over kill like some of the dash kits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
It doesn't look like a peel and stick job because it is an actual Saab Dash...read the details.
Old 28th August 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingG2
People have different opinions, but personally I would avoid 2003's they have had the most problems as being the first year of a big model redesign. People claim all the bugs are gone, but I would not buy a 2003. I would say the same about 2008 with all the changes in the 9-3SS model. IMO, no matter whom the manufacturer is the first year of redesign always has the most problems.
It seems to me I hear more non 03 owners telling people how bad that year is than 03 Owners. Yes there were problems, the same peoblems any new car has...resolved with software updates, Service campaigns and really only three official recalls.

Regarding Value, I doubt the fact that the Vector Badge will make it worth anymore in the long run, only the name changed. there were, as I recall, 2,256 03 Vectors in the US...a 97 Saab 900 Talladega series....300 made, will pass the Value of any 03 in about two years.
Old 28th August 2007

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 SS 2.0T 60TH Ann. Ed Titan Grey

I am very Biased as I have only owned mine for 1 month. The 2007 and it's simplicity makes me love it more than the 2006. The SID has the same functions you just use it differently.

But what can I really say since I have only been in a 06 and a 07.
Advertisement