Photo's of V6 Timing belt tensioner failure - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: .
Default Photo's of V6 Timing belt tensioner failure

While at one of the local wreckers, the only Saab in the entire yard I came across was a '94 900SE Coupe, V6. It was in pretty good shape except for the engine. I decided to take off the timing cover and snap a few photos of the timing area for reference.

The idler's bearings exploded.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th August 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

A shame and for shame. I'll bet, if possible, one could return to the selling dealer, and find that this car never returned for anything other than a rattle or vibration under warranty....

The mileage/age of the engine may never be known when the bearing bought the farm..

It may be an interesting one to buy and repair/ ---- / similar to England's Ragtop.
Trouble with the junk yard is that the owner may be strange (being surrounded with junque vehicles all your life can do that to a man), he knows he can make more money by selling the parts - even if this is not true all the time...
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 19th August 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: '96 900SE Coupe 250k+, '06 9-3 2.0T 53k

Nice pics! What a shame though, poor engine. How was a design flaw that bad not caught before it was too late?

Saab Wiki - Dip - Munki - Michel Briand
Old 19th August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: .

True true, Its unbelievable that such a flaw wasn't caught sooner and is still lerking around on some vehicles without their owners knowing about it.

The bearing itself in these photos were manufactured by SKF and stamped Germany. In the photos it clearly shows the ball cage is what actually failed and caused the assembly to explode. Not enough grease? Maybe bad seals? Who knows. When I opened the timing belt cover, there was metal shavings everywhere!
Old 19th August 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

IMO, the only flaw was the owners lack of maintenance and Saab not stating that the timing belt bearings should be re-newed every 50K miles..

Todays car buyer wants "no-maintenance" - Saab and others are having trouble coming to grips with this...
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 20th August 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2008 93ss aero

that fail was done to poor maintenece.

although over here the same engine is used in the vauxhalls. there was bad batch of tensioners going around but easily identifiable by the gf number should be 25 or was it 50? either way all have been sorted out and none of the bad one are around anymore.

if it was my car and i found out it was a tensioner that went beceause the dealer did not change it even though service book says it did. i'd want a new engine FOC and he'd better be smart about it.

also a courtesy car to use while mine is being fixed.

the belt on the V6 is a nightmare and cam locking tools are requirement to keep everything in place. dealer quotes something like 4 hours to complete this job. and engine WILL NOT tolerate being a tooth or two out.

best is poor performace, worst is lump of scrap under the bonnet.

cheap way of upping the performace a bit is swapping to the 2.5 litre vauxhall heads with the smaller combustion chamber to give a higher c/r and keep the better 3 litre cams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement