A/C compressor clutch gap - SaabCentral Forums
*
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum


Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15th August 2007
SaabKen's Avatar
SaabKen SaabKen is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Posts: 28,550
Garage
Default A/C compressor clutch gap

Awhile back I posted about my A/C acting sporadically (blower works, but cooling sometimes stop abruptly). Some of you suggested the culprit could be the compressor clutch gap being too wide, hence not allowing the clutch to engage under too-warm conditions.

I was at my Saab indie this week. He checked all parts of the A/C system (hoses, R134a level, pressure, evaporator/condensor, relay, expansion valve) and all seemed perfectly normal. I asked him about the clutch gap, and he insists he's never seen one go out of factory range (0.4mm - 0.8mm (0.016" - 0.031") for the Sanden compressor and 0.3mm - 0.6mm (0.012" - 0.024") for the Seiko compressor)). But he checked the gap anyway and whoa, it was at 0.035" (Seiko), so 0.011" more than the large end of the acceptable range. He'll get to it later this week when he does some other minor fixes to my car.

So thanks for all your help.
__________________
"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 18th August 2007
SaabKen's Avatar
SaabKen SaabKen is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Posts: 28,550
Garage
Default

Sorry to bump this post.

Indie adjusted the clutch gap on my Seiko compressor down to 0.014". Now the ACC seems to work normally the way I remember it when I first got the car. Adjustments to the ACC cabin temp now causes the fan to vary its speeds much more finely, and the speed variations continue as the cabin temp changes over time. This didn't happen over the recent years (when ACC on AUTO), when the blower motor seemed to have "lost" the ability to fine tune its variable speed. I suspect the growing gap had something to do with it, as all other parts of the HVAC system have checked out normally.

The irony is now with a normal A/C cooling restored, the weather has already begun to cool off


Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen
Awhile back I posted about my A/C acting sporadically (blower works, but cooling sometimes stop abruptly). Some of you suggested the culprit could be the compressor clutch gap being too wide, hence not allowing the clutch to engage under too-warm conditions.

I was at my Saab indie this week. He checked all parts of the A/C system (hoses, R134a level, pressure, evaporator/condensor, relay, expansion valve) and all seemed perfectly normal. I asked him about the clutch gap, and he insists he's never seen one go out of factory range (0.4mm - 0.8mm (0.016" - 0.031") for the Sanden compressor and 0.3mm - 0.6mm (0.012" - 0.024") for the Seiko compressor)). But he checked the gap anyway and whoa, it was at 0.035" (Seiko), so 0.011" more than the large end of the acceptable range. He'll get to it later this week when he does some other minor fixes to my car.

So thanks for all your help.
__________________
"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 18th August 2007
djtaylor djtaylor is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
Location: Derby
My Saabs: 9000 Aero
Posts: 2,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen
This didn't happen over the recent years (when ACC on AUTO), when the blower motor seemed to have "lost" the ability to fine tune its variable speed. I suspect the growing gap had something to do with it, as all other parts of the HVAC system have checked out normally.
I can't see how that would affect it, are you sure it's not the same as how much better the car goes after a polish? Still, either way, as long as it's working as you want.
Quote:
The irony is now with a normal A/C cooling restored, the weather has already begun to cool off
I had my heated seat on the other day in this fine English summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 18th August 2007
SaabKen's Avatar
SaabKen SaabKen is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Posts: 28,550
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtaylor
I can't see how that would affect it, are you sure it's not the same as how much better the car goes after a polish?
Maybe. I do gain 25% better gas mileage after a good polish. And boost increases dramatically too. The correlation is irrefutible !

Reminds me of this piece:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/10/will-ventilated-seats-improve-mpg/
__________________
"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.