a/c low fan must start? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th August 2007

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 97 900S
Default a/c low fan must start?

Do the low speed fan must start when ac switch on? Because my fan only cycle normally but doesn't kick in with ac. So im getting warm air at all times even highway cruisin. I replaced the fan resistor already, all relays works, ac compressor runs. which electrical area i need to look at to get the fan run when ac power on or any other symptoms to check? please help..

ac was cold 2 months ago after charged up. but i never pay attention to fans,

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th August 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 02Vrt,01VigVrt,2-00Vigs,99 9-3,87S,83T

Have you tested the circuit to make sure the fan actually does work? Also does it run on after you have shut the car off?

In my 97 - I just did the relay, and now mine works...however I thought it was supposed to kick on when the ac was activated. It does not. It does run more when the ac is on though. Not sure if that is correct or not. All I can tell you is that for me - it does not kick on when the ac comes on - and my ac seems fine...
Old 14th August 2007

yes, i've done the tests, both high/low speed fan work. low fan run after engine off for a min also. well, i had my ac on for about 10min, fan doesnt run more then normal. i shut it off because im afraid i'll do more damage to ac when it's not working properly. im thinking of getting check/recharge freon. is there a way to know if there's still alot of freon without using the gauge?
Old 14th August 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 02Vrt,01VigVrt,2-00Vigs,99 9-3,87S,83T

well, I got one of those hose kits with a can of 134a at the auto parts store. It has a built in guage. If you close off the can inlet side (without a can attached) then it works nicely as a guage to see if you need more coolant.

I would recomment the line type with the screw down shutoff valve rather than the kind that is more of a trigger. The kit is about $25-30 - and if you need 134a you then have some. There is all sorts of advice to go along with that - like be sure to attach the hose to the low pressure side - have the car running - and ac on max....the guage should then cycle at about 35 psi when the compressor is on (blue section of the guage) to then up into the yellow to red when the compressor cycles off (as the pressure then evens out in the system) - do not overcharge the system as then the ac will not work either...and you have to have the rpms up to about 2500 to actually charge effectively....
Old 14th August 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashheart
well, I got one of those hose kits with a can of 134a at the auto parts store. It has a built in gauge. If you close off the can inlet side (without a can attached) then it works nicely as a gauge to see if you need more coolant.

I would recommend the line type with the screw down shutoff valve rather than the kind that is more of a trigger. The kit is about $25-30 - and if you need 134a you then have some. There is all sorts of advice to go along with that - like be sure to attach the hose to the low pressure side - have the car running - and ac on max....the gauge should then cycle at about 35 psi when the compressor is on (blue section of the gauge) to then up into the yellow to red when the compressor cycles off (as the pressure then evens out in the system) - do not overcharge the system as then the ac will not work either...and you have to have the rpms up to about 2500 to actually charge effectively....
Excellent advice
http://www.autoacforum.com/
The ICE controls the fans; but the Haynes shows nothing on the air conditioning.
The fans must run when the AC is in use, BUT, they do not have to start up right away... All part of "high efficiency"..And, at speed, I doubt is the fans operate, even with the AC on....who knows
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 14th August 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 96 900SE

Here's a schematic if you want to trace the circuit. The radiator fan/relays/resistor are shown in the upper-right portion.
Old 14th August 2007

ac cold now after a recharge. for the fan, it doesn't need to start when ac switch on.

thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement