SaabCentral Forums banner

Timing chain replacement question

964 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jonnyfgroove 
#1 ·
Can the timing chain on the non-turbo 2.3 I4 be replaced with the motor in the car?

I'm thinking in hypotheticals here in regards to the '95 900S that I've come across that needs a motor.

One possibility would be to install a used motor, then run it. If there was no timing chain noise, the job could be postponed until necessary, or a time more convenient for a preemptive timing chain R&R.

If the job can be done with the motor in place, great-no problem. If, however, the motor has to come out to do it, it might make more sense to do it up front and save the hassle(and mess) of a second motor R&R.

Also, are there job-specific tools required for this procedure? According to Audi, one needs several specialized(and very expensive tools) to change the timing belt properly on my '01 A4. I used none of them and suffered no ill effect. Does Saab make a similar recommendation?

Please advise.

Thanks.:)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.