Bungled Motor Werks... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Past: 2001 9-3
Default Bungled Motor Werks...

What happened to BMW's design team? Chris Bangle is from my wife's home town and quite the local hero (Wausau, Wisconsin), but BMW customers and auto critics aren't happy with his influence on the stoic Bimmer lines. I'm not a fan of his efforts, though its fun to have a Wisconsin boy doing so well for a European auto manufacturer. Is Bangle ahead of his time or too much "apple pie" for the traditional 'bahn burner?

Is the American influence effecting BMW's sales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: No current saabs :(

Im american and I would never buy one of the "bangled" BMW's,even if I had the money.Too fugly for me.
Old 9th August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: Ehh....none

I initially thought they were horrendous but I've actually come round to them. They stand out from the rest of the executive express crowd, which I think is a good thing. Personally, I think the 5 series looks better, and certainly more orginal, than either the 9-3SS or 9-5. I also think the new 3 series actually suffers from being overly de-Bangled. Not that I'd ever buy one of course. They are BMW's after all.
Old 9th August 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: My SAAB

Yes the new 5 series looks fine and they have some excellent wheels. Somehow they are best in black and that makes it like a chauffeur driven..
Old 9th August 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: Tuned NG900, stock 99 9-5

Chris Bangle hasn't designed specifically for BMW since 2004 (he's the design head of the whole company) so the the current designs actually have less of a Bangle influence than the 1999-2006 cars

The harsh lines have been toned down...so have the big rear ends (the "Bangle Bustle" on the 5-series was slammed....)

EDIT: I just wanted to check the date of the thread to make sure I wan't in a time warp...

Last edited by mike saunders; 9th August 2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10th August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Past: 2001 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders

Chris Bangle hasn't designed specifically for BMW since 2004 (he's the design head of the whole company) so the the current designs actually have less of a Bangle influence than the 1999-2006 cars

The harsh lines have been toned down...so have the big rear ends (the "Bangle Bustle" on the 5-series was slammed....)

EDIT: I just wanted to check the date of the thread to make sure I wan't in a time warp...

Yes Bangle is the head of the design team. He has the ultimate authority and mucho influence.

Course they are building some BMW's in America too. What does that say about German cars, engineering and the old world craftsmanship?
Old 10th August 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Estate 2.3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS

Course they are building some BMW's in America too. What does that say about German cars, engineering and the old world craftsmanship?
It says the global economy is different from the days of old and engineering and old world craftsmanship have adapted to create better, safer, and more efficient cars...
Old 11th August 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron22
It says the global economy is different from the days of old and engineering and old world craftsmanship have adapted to create better, safer, and more efficient cars...
Both BMW and Mercedes have built cars in South Africa since the "good old days" of the 1950's
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 11th August 2007
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron22
Globalization does nothing for me, please take me back to the time BMWs were German, Jags were British and Saabs were Swedish.. I'll take character and heritage over reliability, safety and efficiency...

Last edited by Wulf; 11th August 2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11th August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 SE with a 5 speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf
I'll take character and heritage over reliability, safety and efficiency...
I don't mean to sound snide at all, but you are willing you sacrifice your physical, mental and finacial well-being just for the benefit of heritage in a car? I consider my car to have character, and it does have a heritage that is world reknowned, but there is no way in hell I would sacrifice anything Saab has done to make the cars that they are today. Sure they aren't "the same" in some respects to previous models, but the upgrades Saab has done is definitely for the better in terms of performance, safety and efficiency.

As for BMW? I could care less if it was "hecho en Mexico" or "fabrique in France", I wouldn't really buy one for the issues mentioned. The new Bimmers look weird, inside and out, despite going like stink. Even the Mercs are starting to wierd me out. The new S-Class doesn't even look like a Merc if it weren't for the 3 point star.
5-Speed Manual Transmission
A Smile with every drive
Old 11th August 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Estate 2.3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC9-3SE
I don't mean to sound snide at all, but you are willing you sacrifice your physical, mental and finacial well-being just for the benefit of heritage in a car? I consider my car to have character, and it does have a heritage that is world reknowned, but there is no way in hell I would sacrifice anything Saab has done to make the cars that they are today. Sure they aren't "the same" in some respects to previous models, but the upgrades Saab has done is definitely for the better in terms of performance, safety and efficiency.
Well put, I couldn't have said it any better
Old 12th August 2007

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 Arc & '02 9-3 SE

According to relatives in Austria, the BMW was never a German car anyway...it was a Turkish car! The Turks were hired in droves, stayed 11 months, went home for one month, and back to the assembly line again.

The only interesting car that BMW makes, IMHO, is the Z4. Controversial, I know. The rest are pretty much plain Jane sedans, albeit high quality ones. For interesting vehicles, see Porsche/Audi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement