Water and Oil lines for TD04 upgrade - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd August 2007

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3
Default Water and Oil lines for TD04 upgrade

Well, I have talked to a couple of ppl on here, especially johnny, and he has definitely helped me out a lot. But this thing just seems way to confusing to me for some reason. I am taking out the T25 and putting in the TD04. Now I thought this was going to be easy because I went onto the Maptun site and they have just what I need. Well, for some reason I can't order from the site and I wrote and email, but I got one back saying they were on vacation til 23/7, so I really don't know what that means. So does anybody have any suggestions for some new lines? And yes, I know I don't need them, but I figured I might as well do it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd August 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

Save yourself at least $100 and use the original lines. Just buy two new Earl's 12mm banjo bolts for the turbo end of the coolant lines and you'll be set. Otherwise what you'll probably need are four metric to AN adapters, four 90 degree AN-4 or AN-6 hose ends, and about 4 or 5 feet of AN-4 or AN-6 hose. Keep in mind that most AN hose is stainless-braided rubber, and won't last forever. Earl's says theirs should last 7 years. Aeroquip makes stainless-braided Teflon hose that will last much longer, but is a little more expensive. Their special hose ends are only a buck or two more each, so that's not a big deal. Still, I'd stick with the stock lines. They're easy to work with and will last forever.
Old 3rd August 2007

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

Here is Jeremy R's great thread and write up on this upgrade. It includes the part no for the Earls Banjo Bolts and all manner of other great tipos and information.
Old 3rd August 2007

Thanks for all the info. I think I will just save myself the extra $100 and use it on something else. I just hope that when I do this installation everything works.

Also, what do I do with the oil return line? I heard they aren't the same size. Do you think I should just do what you did Jeremy?
Old 3rd August 2007

I just ordered the 2 banjo bolts that I need, so I am going to reuse the oil and water lines. Now all I have to worry about its the return line. I'm thinking about just using what Jeremy R. did, but I don't know if I can get the return pipe from the TD04.
Old 4th August 2007
Saab on the Brain!

The oil drain fitting I bought is still up on eBay, item number 120139601606. It's too long for our short little drain, so I had to cut it off right above the upper ridge. The original drain pipe from Saab is about $30, plus another $5 or so for the gasket.
Old 4th August 2007

Ok, so now that seems pretty simple. I just take the oil drain pipe and cut it directly above the lip. Then I take a piece of 5/8" hose line and place it over that, how much hose do you think I need?
Old 4th August 2007
Saab on the Brain!

You just need a couple of inches of it.
Old 4th August 2007

Sounds very good. I'm thinking this job is going to be slightly easier than what I first imagined, but I shall see in about 2-3 weeks when I have free time. Also, I'm replacing the studs. These studs aren't anything special, correct? So I can just get M8x1.25 studs?
Old 4th August 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Yep, they're just standard M8x1.25 studs. A local fastener store had some that were almost exactly the same length and cost $.75 each.
Old 4th August 2007

Ok, so I ordered the 2 banjo bolts that I need, and I actually have the original TD04 drain pipe, so now I don't have to put any money into this, but from looking at mine, and the picture from the one on ebay, they look different. The ebay one seems to be skinnier and longer, while mine is shorter and fatter. It is also straight and doesn't have a bend like the ebay one shows. If you want a picture I can sure do that.

Also, my intercooler form MP Performance came in, but now I need some hoses for that. Can I just order the hoses off of GS? Is it possible that these hoses will work also, http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product...ducts_id=2770?

Last edited by wolfman; 4th August 2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: More Information
Old 4th August 2007
Banned

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Ok, so I ordered the 2 banjo bolts that I need, and I actually have the original TD04 drain pipe, so now I don't have to put any money into this, but from looking at mine, and the picture from the one on ebay, they look different. The ebay one seems to be skinnier and longer, while mine is shorter and fatter. It is also straight and doesn't have a bend like the ebay one shows. If you want a picture I can sure do that.

Also, my intercooler form MP Performance came in, but now I need some hoses for that. Can I just order the hoses off of GS?
i think you can, the only thing im unsure of is the size of the ends on the mp ic, but it should work... mayb someone else could help you out with that.

as for the oil return line... you could do what i did, keep the stock line and get some 5/8 fuel/oil line from autozone and you can get the 5/8 line over the td04 and then the line from the t25 over the 5/8 line. i put 2 clamps on it just to be sure it would not leak and so far its been great. ill take a few pictures for you so you have a better idea of what im talking about. (im 85% sure its 5/8" line, just take the td04 with you when you go and get the line)

and about the banjo bolts, you need 3 dont you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Ok, so I ordered the 2 banjo bolts that I need
oil, water in, and water out.
since you are not getting new lines make sure that you get the new crush washer, also make sure you clean out the old lines, some carb cleaner and compressed air should do the trick.

pm me and ill give you my number so if you have any questions when you doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement