Shortshifters and linkage - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero 5-spd!
Default Shortshifters and linkage

I had an extra MP Performance short shifter laying around - the one they made for the ng900. I successfully installed one on my ng900 a couple years ago. Now that I have the 9-5 and an extra I gave it a shot.

Taking the 9-5's interior apart was similar, and I did have some small snags but everything seems to have gone well. My throw is not only shorter but the whole feel has been tighted up considerably. Unfortunately I have some extra vibration and rubbing/buzzing noise from it in 3rd and 5th under moderate load - enough to be annoying. I know some of you have installed SaabSavior's kit. Did you guys run into any problems? I wonder if the bolt on my linkage is too tight, perhaps adding to the extra vibration and noise??

One more thing, has everyone been able to put back the middle module back in place 100% completely? The rear part below the rear vents does not want to go back in place all the way..
Advertisement

Old 16th July 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

I dont think anyone has Saab Savior's kit fitted
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 9-5
I dont think anyone has Saab Savior's kit fitted
Thats awfully suprising, as contrasted to the ng900 boys, a lot of them have done it..
Old 16th July 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

We talked about a group buy - couldnt get a "group" though
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 16th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

thats too bad really.. shifting in the 9-5 is a bit too stiff, but a fantastic move from the rubbery and rough stock shifting. I was driving around town earlier and just plainly driving too fast by accident since shifting as all of a sudden become more efficient .

The only thing I'm really annoyed by is the vibration/buzzing noise in those two gears. I'm really hoping its just my linkeage is too tight. Well I was hoping more of you guys have taken this road before, oh well
Old 16th July 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

I have been looking at the SaabSavior kit and I have heard about the MP one. The issue with the MP is the ball is steel while the Saab kit reuses the nylon ball. It reduces the metal clatter that you hear.

Most people got used to it ( like the vibration with teh poly trans mounts from GS
Old 17th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab
I have been looking at the SaabSavior kit and I have heard about the MP one. The issue with the MP is the ball is steel while the Saab kit reuses the nylon ball. It reduces the metal clatter that you hear.

Most people got used to it ( like the vibration with teh poly trans mounts from GS
Hmm, interesting but I never had any metal clatter with the MP shifter in my ng900. Just smooth buttery shifting with no added vibration. It's got to be the linkeage either being too tight or not fitted correctly, even though my shifting position is fine. I'll look at it tomorrow.
Old 17th July 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: -

There's another alternative. If you're handy with cutting tools, you can do this. You can shorten the throw almost in half, while still retaining the reverse lockout and 5th gear catch. The guide shows the NG900/9-3 version, but the stick is mounted the same way on the 9-5, so the mod will work there as well. If anyone is willing to donate (or sell) a used 9-5 shifter housing, I can produce a how-to.

Old 17th July 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsev7n
Hmm, interesting but I never had any metal clatter with the MP shifter in my ng900. Just smooth buttery shifting with no added vibration. It's got to be the linkeage either being too tight or not fitted correctly, even though my shifting position is fine. I'll look at it tomorrow.
There have been lots of reprots about the clatter on many 9-5s. Maybe the 9-3 linkage is different enough not to cause it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dip
...on the 9-5, so the mod will work there as well. If anyone is willing to donate (or sell) a used 9-5 shifter housing, I can produce a how-to..
Dip. How long to do the SS conversion? If I sent you mine ( just trying to figure how long it will be out of the car...) I can pull it this weekend...
Old 17th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02 9 Aero, '89 900S

That would be a great "how to"!
Old 17th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Dip, that looks like a revised version of what Eric did awhile ago, is it not? I would consider that but I have already taken everything out of mine.

Does anyone know if the manual transmission used for the ng900 and 9-5 are the same? I'm curious to know that if it really is a linkeage problem with the 9-5 that is generating the noise, how that can be solved.

Again, I did the exact same process on the 9-5 as I did to my ng900, but with different results. I'll know for sure if there is some sort of contributing physical difference once I go back in and make sure my linkeage is fitted properly and not too tight.
Old 17th July 2007
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Dip. How long to do the SS conversion? If I sent you mine ( just trying to figure how long it will be out of the car...) I can pull it this weekend...
I can send it back next day. But do you really want to render your car useless while the housing is travelling all the way to Canada and back? ;]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsev7n
Dip, that looks like a revised version of what Eric did awhile ago, is it not? I would consider that but I have already taken everything out of mine.
Yes, it's a version of Eric's mod. He had a good solution for moving the ball on the shifter, but I think I've found a much easier and cleaner way to raise the mounting point.
Old 17th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9⁵ Aero 5spd | 1997 9000 Aero
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip
but I think I've found a much easier and cleaner way to raise the mounting point.
dip what is really the purpose of moving the shifter back up? You mentioned it feels "meatier" and I'm trying to imagine that...I guess you mean more solid in the shifts, and you wanted to retain the same shifter height while still reducing the throw. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have the MP Performance shifter lying around and I wanted to attempt the install after all this time I think. The reason I hadn't installed yet is because I bought it early on and never got around to it b/c of the talk of having to hacksaw off the shift knob, coupled with the bad press it received in comparison to the saab savior shifter. Do you think it's worth it just installing the MP shifter and NOT doing your mod? Cheers.
Old 17th July 2007
Saab Crazy

You need to move it back up because even a moderate amount of shortening causes the bottom of the stalk to rub against the floor. The reverse lockout plate limits the space even further, and I wanted to keep that functionality intact. It also has to match the original movement geometry inside the housing. And finally, keeping the knob position at the original height is just an added bonus.

The feel is... it's just heavier. Not as loose and light as before.
Old 17th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip
You need to move it back up because even a moderate amount of shortening causes the bottom of the stalk to rub against the floor. The reverse lockout plate limits the space even further, and I wanted to keep that functionality intact. It also has to match the original movement geometry inside the housing. And finally, keeping the knob position at the original height is just an added bonus.

Dip, I definitely had a problem with rubbing, even with the reverse lockout removed. I moved the ball to a position where I was sure there isn't any rubbing, but I still have a lot of buzzing/vibration slight grinding, only in 1st 3rd and 5th gear, feels great for 2nd and 4th. I'm just trying to work towards a fixeable diagnosis without having to rip apart my interior again
Old 18th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9⁵ Aero 5spd | 1997 9000 Aero
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip

Thanks for the response dip; great write up BTW on this mod. What you're saying makes perfect sense to me, although I didn't know that the bottom of the stalk would rub that easily! Cheers.
Old 18th July 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip
I can send it back next day. But do you really want to render your car useless while the housing is travelling all the way to Canada and back? ;]
my car is usless most of the time. ( right now on Jack stands as I get the hub bearings replaced)

I have a 2002 Viggen convertible that I do not mind driving in the summer at all.
Old 18th July 2007
Saab Crazy

Quote:
my car is usless most of the time. ( right now on Jack stands as I get the hub bearings replaced)

I have a 2002 Viggen convertible that I do not mind driving in the summer at all.
Ah, that explains it. Having a stage4 2.3 NG900 vert in the garage in addition to the 9-5, I can relate to the above statement ;]
Old 18th July 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip
Ah, that explains it. Having a stage4 2.3 NG900 vert in the garage in addition to the 9-5, I can relate to the above statement ;]
Stage IV coming soon to a Viggen near me as well! I will PM you to get info and I will let you know if I get time to pull the shifter out this weekend. ( have to get in there to install bluetooth anyway)
Old 18th July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Just an update - I pulled out the MP shifter out of the 9-5 and put the stock one back in tonight. Just didn't get the results like I had in the ng900 -- not as good of a fit apparently. I always recommend it for the ng900/9-3 crowd, its great, but for the 9-5 it just doesnt work out so great. I'd like to try the Saabsavior kit one day but I think I've pulled that shift housing out one too many times this past week!
Advertisement