Pulley questions. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th July 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1991 9000 Turbo 5DR
Default Pulley questions.

We're taking a 3000 mile trip at end of the month during which breakdown isn't an option. I am therefore considering having the serpentine belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley replaced. I see there are several options from Eeuroparts, including Saab, Scantech, and SKF (along with FAG for the idler). Is there any reason to get the Saab part at more than twice the price? Also, if I look on my existing idler pulley, how do I tell if it's an original FAG pulley, which Eeuroparts says should only be replaced with the FAG. ??

The shop says the belt looks fine, and it does to me as well, although the last record for replacement is 60k miles ago. I don't hear/see any problems with the pulleys, but there's no record of when the pulleys were last replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th July 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: Gone: 1994 Saab 9000 CSE 2.3T

sure youve seen this but.....
http://www.quasimotors.com/belt_install.htm

heres the excerpt
"My experience says the tensioner pulley should be replaced along with the belt every 30 Kmiles, or every two years or so. The fixed idler pulley might go 60 K miles or every other belt change, but I don't like to risk it. If the belt or either of the idler pulleys fails, you really only have one choice between two very unsavory options: Stop the car and shut off the engine immediately, or keep driving the car until it overheats and you blow a head gasket and/or warp the head, or destroy the engine completely. And oh, by the way, if you decide to keep driving, you'll be trying to do so without power steering and you'll get a real fine appreciation for just how front-heavy the Saab is. Put simply, you really don't EVER want to experience a belt or pulley failure."

so take that and do with it what you will

honestly though man, its so simple to diy, it just makes sense to do it, imho
Old 6th July 2007
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnv727
sure youve seen this but.....
http://www.quasimotors.com/belt_install.htm
Yes, I have seen that, thanks. It doesn't answer all of my questions, though. It's not whether to replace, but which parts to get. I guess since Quasi says both pulleys and the belt are about $100, you could deduce that he's using a Saab idler pulley and Scantech tensioner pulley ($109 total vs $80 if using Scantech for both pulleys). But it still doesn't address the question of the FAG pulley identification. If I do have the FAG idler pulley, can one simply buy the Saab idler pulley kit, which comes with a new washer and bolt, unlike the Scantech pulley? They certainly look compatible.
Old 6th July 2007
Saab Crazy

im not sure honestly, see the idler pulley isnt just a roller, its has a bearing in the center so it spins......id just go with the saab part just to be sure, for 20 bucks might as well feel good about eveything

just my 2 cents though
Old 6th July 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: Wife's 9-3

I can't think of a reason to use genuine SAAB parts if they are so likely to fail that you're going to change them when they're not broken. Both SKF and FAG are well known makers of quality bearings.
Old 6th July 2007
Saab Crazy

touche
Old 6th July 2007
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mesthene
I can't think of a reason to use genuine SAAB parts if they are so likely to fail that you're going to change them when they're not broken. Both SKF and FAG are well known makers of quality bearings.
Hey Jim, nice to see your feedback. I too am generally not a fan of changing parts that aren't broken. I guess I am somewhat gullible to all the scare stories about their failure though, and as I said, failure is just not an option on this trip (being our honeymoon and all). I can't say I ever had a pulley failure in my '87 9000T over 10 years (180k miles), and don't seem to recall replacing any pulley more than once in that period. That's obviously far more than the 30-60k mile intervals that a lot of people seem to recommend. So maybe this is just another case of paranoia. I did check the manual and a knowledgeable Saab shop, and both confirmed that there is no scheduled replacement interval for any of the pulleys.

So, I do really wonder what all the hubbub is about these things failing so frequently that you change them every couple years regardless. It seems like some people don't feel safe unless they are carrying around half the car in spare parts, along with the tools to replace them all. I'm all for being prepared, but that really seems excessive and indicates a serious lack of faith in your car.
Old 6th July 2007
Saab Crazy

mhmm well ive had a pulley fail a long time ago, and had a pulley get roughed up that it split the belt, luckily i was pulling into my driveway as it happened....this time i did it myself, instead of my mechanic and all seems well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement