How can I tell if engine is seized ???? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th June 2007

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1987 c900T Conv, 1997 9000 CS
Default How can I tell if engine is seized ????

T900 16v, Long story continuing from a previous thread. We are having trouble getting the starter to engage. Tried to hot wire the starter to a good battery and nothing. No clicks, no action, nothing. We assume the starter (or solenoid) is dead. We want to eliminate the possibility that the engine is some how seized. (my buddies brother was the last person to drive the car 1 year ago before it died on him, and his report of what happened is unreliable).

So, I'm thinking I should be able to put the car in neutral, put a long breaker bar on the crankshaft and turn the engine manually to prove its not seized. The problem is that I can't figure out where or how to do this? There does not seem to be any room from the drivebelt side to put a breaker bar.

Am I offbase here? If someone wanted to hand crank a T900, how would they do it? The Bentley manual didn't help, because all of thier engine stuff involved removing it from the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: Ehh....none

Jack up one wheel. Put it in 5th and turn the jacked wheel. Alternatively put it neutral and turn it on the crank pulley.
Old 28th June 2007
Banned

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: The Black Night, 900T

Did the engine run out of oil? thats pretty much the best way to seize an engine.

Is your clutch cover removed? you can remove all the spark plugs and turn the flywheel by hand, I don't think its the engine, you must be able to get the starter to turn and the solenoid to click forward out the car first.
Old 28th June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Trout
Jack up one wheel. Put it in 5th and turn the jacked wheel. Alternatively put it neutral and turn it on the crank pulley.

I like the jack up one wheel in 5th idea. Regarding the crank pulley, how do you get access to it? From up top? or from underneath the car? Anyone know what sized bolt on the crank pulley? 19mm?
Old 28th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: Black T16 'Carlsson' vert, 9-3 Aero Vert

Or take the spark plugs out, put it in gear and see if the car will move when pushed.
Other pieces of your car could fall off, if not bolted on.
Old 28th June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks
Did the engine run out of oil? thats pretty much the best way to seize an engine.

Is your clutch cover removed? you can remove all the spark plugs and turn the flywheel by hand, I don't think its the engine, you must be able to get the starter to turn and the solenoid to click forward out the car first.
No, didn't run out of oil (dip stick is full). If I remove the clutch cover, will it give me access to turn the flywheel? Do I need to remove all spark plugs to crank the engine manually?
Old 28th June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamal Bryant
No, didn't run out of oil (dip stick is full). If I remove the clutch cover, will it give me access to turn the flywheel? Do I need to remove all spark plugs to crank the engine manually?
Well it'll make your life easier...with them out there is no compression to give resistance. This way you won't confuse resistance from compression with resistance from seizure.
Old 28th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1987 900 8V

actually, if you pull the plugs you should be able to rotate the engine using the AC belt (assuming you've got the gearbox in neutral!) -
Old 28th June 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

You can just put the car in neutral, and using a flat blade screwdriver (a fairly large one), stick it in the teeth of the flywheel and rotate the engine a few degrees. It's really slow and tedious to get a full revolution but you can move it very easily without moving anything.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 29th June 2007

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1992 Saab 900S 258k miles

hmmm, on rx-7s you just reach down and try turning the crank pully. . . i dont suppose that works does it?
Old 29th June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t
You can just put the car in neutral, and using a flat blade screwdriver (a fairly large one), stick it in the teeth of the flywheel and rotate the engine a few degrees. It's really slow and tedious to get a full revolution but you can move it very easily without moving anything.

Yeah, I tried this and could not get any movement. As a previous poster mentioned, I'm not sure if it was resistence from compression (spark plugs were still in engine) or resistence from seizure. I'm gonna pull the plugs as recommended above and try to turn the A/C belt and or jack up a wheel with car in 5th gear.
Old 29th June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 turbo

If the car is in neutral, you should still be able to turn the engine, although it will give resistance. You should also be able to roll the car in 5th.

Last edited by TheRedBaron; 29th June 2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 29th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1987 900 8V

curious - have you tried giving the starter a whack with a hammer while someone else holds the key to the "start" position? This is nice for a couple reasons - one - I like whacking things with hammers, two it can inspire a dying starter motor to give just one more shot.

Also - check your battery - my sons '88 had the symptoms of "nothing from the starter" - radio came on, everything else seemed to work - but there just weren't enough amps dancing through the wires to make the starter do anything -

Best of luck

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement