ABS Relay? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th June 2007

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: '91 9000 CS
Default ABS Relay?

Hey guys,

Ever since i've had my car about 50% of the time when I brake I get the ABS light and triangle ! at the same time, they both go off after a second or so of braking.

The brakes function fine, although they do feel really strange to use compared to most other cars (is this because they're just massive single pots?) like they seem to have 2 stages one where it brakes only lightly then it comes in quite a lot stronger.

I checked the abs sensors for grime at the front and they were fine, so I took a look at the ABS fuse box and they were fine - but I notice whenever i depress the brake pedal one of the relays in the fuse box buzzes for about 3 seconds. This buzzing corresponds to the time it takes for the lamps on the dash to go out.

So do you guys know if these fail much, or if its likely to be that? The brake fluid level isn't leaking at all since i've had it (6months).

If I push the brake gently (enough to switch a relay that can be heard in the dash, brake light i guess) then harder I don't get the brake alarms on the dash at all. They only come up if i'm down on the pedal fairly fast presumably while the relay is still buzzing (hard to press the pedal and hear it, i've had a helper say it does though). If I push the pedal down hard it goes down a fair way and then gets resistance pushing it back toward me.

I went through one of the checks that was for pedal pressure that was in the service manual and it seemed to do the appropriate thing.

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 7th June 2007 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th June 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1996 Saab 9000 CSE

A buzzing could be a relay opening and closing very quickly.....fluttering.

If gentle pedal application doesnt trigger the lights and fluttering then I would definately have a look at the brake fluid level and maybe perform a brake bleed to get rid of air bubbles that may be in the system.

Brake fluid level/pressure fluctuations will trip the lights....and perhaps the tripping of the lights causes the relay to close. Then the pressure rises momentarily and the light goes out, reopening the relay only to have the pressure fall....etc.

Check the fluid levels, pad thickness and bleed your brakes.
Old 9th June 2007

Fluid level is fine, hasn't dropped since i've owned it. Had new front pads because the old were worn and i'd hoped that would've fixed it, but nope.

The relay in question is the pump one according to the fuse cover. It does flutter even when i apply gentle pressure, it does as soon as i touch the brake pedal but the lights dont come on until i push the pedal down with some fairly decent pressure.

but if i push the pedal down with pressure after the buzzing has stopped it doesnt give me the warning light. I think the relay hasn't switched for the pump and is causing not enough pressure for heavy brake application until it stops fluttering about?

Just a guess really, might go find another relay for it tomorrow.
Old 9th June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: Wife's 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLooPs
....might go find another relay for it tomorrow.
That's where I'd start. Buzzing relays are not normal. Check for pushed out pins in the relay socket too.
Old 22nd September 2007

Well 'tomorrow' got pushed out until today!

Still does it, I went and tried another set of relays from a wreckers 9000 and they still buzz.

So its either the ground or the feed to the relay making it buzz huh? I might go check the pins like Jim suggested.

Oh another very strange thing, as soon as i changed the relays and subsequently changed back (since they didnt help) my right turn indicator is in hyperdrive, it goes mental really quick - left is fine though!

The electrical demons have my car in their grips I fear. I do also notice my headlight dash display occassionaly comes on or flickers if i use the cigarette lighter for a power source.
Old 22nd September 2007

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9K's 92 2LCSE A,93 2L CSi,95 2.3 CSE T
Question know your bulbs/lamps

I can't help with your other prob...but..
Quote:
my right turn indicator is in hyperdrive, it goes mental really quick - left is fine though!
the same thing happened to me, it was simply one of the TWO, 1 bulbs/lamps at the back end,NOT the 40 flasher relay i bought in a panic for it's MOT test the following day so check all the bulbs,and try to match types aswell.
Hope this helps...a bit.
(anybody need a flasher relay,only used once,twice,once,twice,once,twice)
Old 26th September 2007

Yeah indicator bulb is out on the front, haven't had to check my relay yet - weekend was spent pulling down my gsxr750 instead! always the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement