A/C Thermoswitch Bypass? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st June 2007

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Nordic Stage 3 9-3S
Default A/C Thermoswitch Bypass?

My A/C has been inop for a while, and now that summer is here in Alabama it is less than pleasant. I've been through a series of troubleshooting steps and believe that I have narrowed the problem down to the thermoswitch on the compressor.

(On a related note, I recently received a P0119 trouble code for an intermitten fault with the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor - WIS said that another symptom could be a malfunctioning A/C so I went ahead and replaced the ECT sensor today with no luck)

It is my understanding that the thermoswitch was a separate unit on the NG900s, but that it is a part of the compressor on OG9-3's such as mine. Is there a way to bypass/hotwire the thermoswitch? Or will I be forced to shell out $$$ for a new compressor due to a single faulty electrical component?

Thanks,
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st June 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

I see a thermo switch on the compressor with a part number of 46 32 014, VIN S2002730>...in the parts book('94 to '98)...
So this may not help....
The switches are all "part of a compressor"... But I cannot believe it is not separately replaceable...
And the thermo-switch is very important as it protects the compressor..
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 2nd June 2007

There's no entry in the 2003 EPC for a OG9-3 (99-02) for a temperature switch for the A/C.

Would it really be a terribly horrible idea for me to just have enough common sense to turn off the A/C if the car starts to overheat? I seem to recall that the switch is designed to turn off the compressor if the coolant temperature reaches above 140*C.... which is ~285*F. I've never seen temps above 211*F... so I'd probably be freaking out (and turning off the A/C) at about 225.

Thanks for the input though
Old 5th June 2007

I've got my car in the front yard with the front bumper off so I can maybe access the compressor enough to play.... before I start just dickin' around and hoping to get lucky does anyone have any idea at all how I might be able to bypass that switch?
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 2.0T Aero - Vtuner stage 0

My thermo switch packed up about 2 years ago ... I simply disconnected the wires and connected them together to bypass the switch. It's been fine ever since. Mind you, this is the UK where the temperature never gets much above 'miserable'
Old 5th June 2007

Thanks Munki for your reply. Is the wiring for the thermoswitch going to be differnet on my car since it's a 9-3 and the thermoswitch is evidently not replaceable? And what's the best way to get to those wires on top of the compressor, short of removing the compressor?

On that note, though, I found a Saab tech bulletin in the WIS (number 03-02-854) titled "Replacing the thermo contact on the A/C compressor". It goes on to state that the "thermo contact" is now available as a spare part.

Is this "thermo contact" related to the pesky switch that's making me sweat in this heat?
Old 5th June 2007

Progress! Sort of.

There is a diode. One end is between the thermoswitch and the compressor, the other is at ground. It shows a resistance of ~4 Ohm each way. As I recall, a diode should show a short in one direction and an open in the other. So possibly the switch is good, and the diode is bad? :-/

Either way, I'm gonna hotwire something to make this work. Don't know how yet, but I'll let you know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement