'03-'04 9-5 Aero vs '00-'03 Audi S4 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th May 2007

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: '02 Saab 9-5 AERO
Default '03-'04 9-5 Aero vs '00-'03 Audi S4

'03-'04 9-5 Aero vs '00-'03 Audi S4

Any Input on which I should by? They are kind of in the same price bracket its just kind of hard deciding. Do I go for the Twin-Turbo all wheel drive or do I go for the Power + economy?

Along with pretty much the same performance stats:

Audi S4

Horsepower: 250 hp
Max Horsepower: 5800 rpm
Torque: 258 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 1850 rpm

Saab 9-5 Aero

Horsepower: 250 hp
Max Horsepower: 5300 rpm
Torque: 258 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 1900 rpm

Last edited by Cosmic95Lr; 29th May 2007 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th May 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                

I would purchase the 9-5 and not look back. but my comparison isn't due to a couple ft lbs or hp here or there. the awd would be nice but I really prefer the 04 aero exterior and interior over the audi and I don't concern myself with a couple tenths of a second accelerating to 60mph either.

edit: now go ask this on an Audi forum...
Old 29th May 2007

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Are you replacing your current 9-5, or adding to it ?

Performance figures aside (not significant), to me it's a matter of state of mind. You obviously already know "The Saab Way".

If you are replacing your current 9-5, then you must decide if the Audi fits your style and philosophy ? If it doesn't, you might as well stay in the Saab fold and enjoy a higher level of performance than what you have now.

But if you are simply adding to your 9-5, then you may be tempted to just go for the Audi so you'll have one of each to play with

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Old 29th May 2007

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-5 Aero RIP 08 9-5 Sprt Combi 97 900

I drive my girlfriends 04 A4 1.8T on a regular basis, we take it on road trips because she only logs about 5000 mile per year.

It's a very nice car but I MUCH PREFER my 02 Aero. I know there is a big difference in performance betwen 1.8T and the S-4 but the cabin is essentially the same less a few gadgets in her base model.

That said, I do not like the switches in the Audi; all the buttons are too small. The layout is decent enough but I really like the dedicated buttons and the logical layout of the Saab, it's much more driver oriented.

The fit and finish in the Audi is awesome, materials are first class no doubt. The sound system is excellent and I don't think she even has the top of the line system.

The seats are much firmer than the sport seats in the Aero but I find them comftorable on long trips.

I'm 6-1" tall and have no problem with finding a comftorable seating position in the Audi but the back seat is useless for a passenger if I'm driving. The cabin is a little snug for me at the shoulder and you can't really share the center armrest.

The handling is o.k. and ride quality is decent, but Saab has superior ride and handling. The Saab is also quieter at speed. I'm sure the S-4 is more on par with performance but probably sacrifice mileage?

I always look forward to driving my own car after we take hers on a trip!

Her lease ends soon and she will probably lease MY08 9-3.

My 2 cents..good luck.
Old 29th May 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 94 900s,00 Vig,01 SE Wgn,73 240Z,01 Vig

S4s are cool looking and nice cars, but I would say if you are going after performance, get the Aero. With recent winters, the Aero will be fine. Even in harsh winters, the Saab is fine but the AWD could come in handy. The 9-5 will out-accelerate the S4 everywhere except maybe to 60ish, where the Audi wins because of the AWD. The 9-5 is quite a bit roomier and more comfortable inside. Also much more exclusive/unique(/probably less available.)
Old 29th May 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: '09 Forester XT

My friend has an S4 and has been through 3 bumpers in 2 years because its so low the ground potholes and regular bumps in the maine roads take them out. And they dont have those nice "self restoring" bumpers like saab has. Not sure how your roads are.

That and the layout of controls is not user intuitive. Saabs have a much nicer cleaner layout.

Saab seats are way more comfortable.
Old 29th May 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: '96 900SET

To be honest I think the Audi seats are more comfortable...the interior is first-class all around. It is also quite rare and very sought after, so typical Audi depreciation doesn't hit the S-line cars as bad. That said, Audi reliability is....not the best. They're well-made cars, but something always goes wrong with them. The 9-5 is slightly faster, but the Audi is much more sporty overall. Another thing against the Audi is gas mileage (our A6 gets about 17 mpg overall, expect slightly worse from an S4).

Definitely drive both before you decide...Audi AWD is a love/hate thing, either you love the handling or think it's an understeering sled.
Old 29th May 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: '09 Forester XT

Yea.. MY friends S4 reads around 20.1 MPG... Thats at least 30% worse the saab?

Last edited by boon94; 29th May 2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 29th May 2007

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: '02 Saab 9-5 AERO

Yeah once I saw the MPG difference I was like .Plus that is true that the 9-5 also has more interior room.
Old 30th May 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero 5-spd!

I have some experience with a 2001 S4, and in my honest opinion - unless you're really hankering over the S4, I'd go with the Saab.

The S4 definitely has some desireable strengths. It's blazing fast, nice sound, a definite sports car, with a very sporty look imho. The AWD is a plus as well.

However I would take the Aero for the more interior room, better seats, and the better reliability.

I'll also go to say that when I go back home, if I don't find a manual 00-01 9-5 Aero, im most likely buying an A4 (until I can find the Aero of course )
Advertisement