LPT Boost Up, Wastegate issues - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > Saab 9000 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9000 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9000

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26-05-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2002                                                
Default LPT Boost Up, Wastegate issues

Right.
Firstly, I am now in a 96 9000 CD LPT. I dont love it anywhere as much as my old c900 aero but its good, cheap (extremely) transport.

I have driven it stock for about 3 weeks. Now i have decided nuts too that so I have put a full turbo computer in it and a turbosmart 2 stage boost controller.

My issue is that i am having heaps of trouble getting the turbo to make extra boost. Even with the bleed valve fully open I cannot get more than 0.5 bar (from 0.4 bar stock). I have played around with it, wound the wastegate actuator rod in. But no matter what i cannot get higher boost. I have disconnected the wastegate line just for testing and it definitely will make 1+ bar without a wastegate so I am definitely having wastegate issues. (yes i was careful not to overboost with the wastgete disconnected)

I need to know what the best option is to fix these rediculously soft wastegate actuators is?

thanks for the help.

Karl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-05-07
Vendor

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-TC
Right.
Firstly, I am now in a 96 9000 CD LPT. I dont love it anywhere as much as my old c900 aero but its good, cheap (extremely) transport.

I have driven it stock for about 3 weeks. Now i have decided nuts too that so I have put a full turbo computer in it and a turbosmart 2 stage boost controller.

My issue is that i am having heaps of trouble getting the turbo to make extra boost. Even with the bleed valve fully open I cannot get more than 0.5 bar (from 0.4 bar stock). I have played around with it, wound the wastegate actuator rod in. But no matter what i cannot get higher boost. I have disconnected the wastegate line just for testing and it definitely will make 1+ bar without a wastegate so I am definitely having wastegate issues. (yes i was careful not to overboost with the wastgete disconnected)

I need to know what the best option is to fix these rediculously soft wastegate actuators is?

thanks for the help.

Karl
My previous car was a 96 9000 LPT, which I converted to FPT with a BSR stage 1 ECU, as part of the upgrade, this also required fitting a Saab Boost Pressure Valve, as the standard LPT is not fitted with one of these. Have you got this BPV fitted? If not you will not be able to make full pressure...

I also found that to get the power that I should be getting I needed to upgrade the actuator to a Forge unit, once all this was done the car was transformed and easily made 1.2 + Bar boost and in excess of 220 BHp
Old 27-05-07
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2002                                                

Saab Boost Pressure Valve???

Are you talking about the APC?

If so, i am not going to run APC. I am not planning on pushing boost high enough to really need one. I am justn using (or trying to) a boost bleed off valve in the wastegate line.
Old 31-05-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9000 Aero 97

not tried this but no reason why not

a) fit an external spring between the gate rod & the actuator = increase overall spring strength = give you a better intial boost
b) fit a perforated pipe inline between the press supply & the actuator, keep adding holes until you get the desired bleed off & hence boost. Assist this by putting a flowrestrictor up stream of the pipe to reduce the overall supply
crude but could be effective
Sponsored Links
Advertisement