500+hp 9-5 XXBrianSXX - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th May 2007
Garrett

Default 500+hp 9-5 XXBrianSXX

preface- I know this is not necessarily a performance thread but it seems fitting

Hello fellow Saab nuts.

I wanted to officially introduce myself and share with the community the new ride I just purchased. Some of you may know BrianS and his 9-5 Steel Grey Aero who visited SC only occasionally. His car is now in my garage and let me say for the record……WOW!!! What a tremendous job he did. He did the majority of the install and research himself…oh and paid for all the hardware ;-)

He left the exterior of this car and the interior virtually stock. The only ext clues are the large oval stainless muffler/tip and the lower H&R stance. As for the performance, it is breathtaking. I have driven some pretty fast cars as I spent 10yrs in the car biz. This car does one thing really really well. SURPRISE every unsuspecting ________< (insert fast car) on the road. Example: Brian stated that a few months ago he offered to race his Boss’s car, an 04 E55AMG, from 70mph to whatever. Well long story short he pulled to 120 and easily pulled away from the monster E (that he now owns). The other thing this car does very well is combine outrageous power with fuel economy. I can’t think of a single car on the road that has 500+ hp and returns 26mpg!! That is also with having some fun in that tankful. I am currently trying to stay off the throttle and see what a light throttle tank of gas gets me. I would not be surprised to see 29-30 (70% highway 30%city). The down side to this car is the balance shafts were removed to minimize moving parts in the engine, the four cylinder Saab stumble idle, the burbling 3 inch exhaust and the large 750 injectors. It sounds and feels a little like a poorly running Saab. Only the enthusiast will recognize the “reason” for the uncivilized idle. As for the power, here is a gear by gear playback…

1st- get the rpms up and don’t bother using full or even almost full throttle. It goes by so quickly that one should be preparing for the quick clutch and get to the next gear.

2nd- The fun starts. Thankfully the car has a quaife limited slip. The car will readily relinquish traction on full throttle but actually hooks up well at ¾ throttle, but man hang on tight and peddle away. 35-60mph comes like a rape date (sorry ladies)

3rd- Holy Cow!! Keep peddling!! The world slows as the speedo looks like another tach. To look down after a few seconds and see 100mph when you would expect to see 80mph is absolutely sobering. There had better be no officers around because you will need to brake very hard to shed down to 60mph again or get the riot act recited (and large ticket).

4th- If you are fortunate enough to still have no cars on the horizon, the surge of speed is unreal. I have not left my foot down in forth for the full 7000rpm since this car still has the Oem Viggen rotors and stock rears, that kind of speed is trouble waiting to happen on many levels.

5th- Really just for cruising b/c to full throttle this gear is not rewarding unless you are doing 120mph. The cams and Garrett gt3076 like higher revs.

I have had some conversation with the fatship (Dave). The other stateside 9-5 monster. We are looking to go to New England Dragway and see what kind of numbers we can put up. I feel with some magic traction dust we can get the high 12s but we will see. If any others here in the MASS/RI/CONN/VT/NH area are interested we could have a modified Saab turbo day or night. I will eventually get up some video and a dyno graph once I get it tuned by either Frank at SQR or Fredrik if he comes to the states in the near future. Brian had a dyno done but had to end it early at 5800rpms when one of the straps let loose. Full power is reached at 6800rpms. 443whp and 432wtq at 5800 is real good but there is another 40+whp there with the rest of the rpms and a better road tune.

I don’t post often because life is toooo busy now. So I left it all out in the intro. I hope to share more content in the next few weeks. I feel fortunate to own this amazing machine. I hope some can come to the NED mini meet soon.

Take care all~

Gerard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th May 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"
Default Nice car

enjoy and lot's o' luck keeping your foot out of it!
Old 18th May 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero Wagon

Can you take me for a quick ride someday..? Where in RI are you.. I have lived down there the pasts few summers and spend lots of time there
Old 19th May 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

Gerard, put some racing slicks on the front for the drag strip, it could make for some interesting times. Nordic's drag car posts late 9's on slicks.
Old 19th May 2007
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone575
Can you take me for a quick ride someday..? Where in RI are you.. I have lived down there the pasts few summers and spend lots of time there
Sure - I live over by URI and work in NProv. Hit my email at sendtog@gmail.com and we can set up a blast.
Old 19th May 2007
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit
Gerard, put some racing slicks on the front for the drag strip, it could make for some interesting times. Nordic's drag car posts late 9's on slicks.
Really Kermie,
That is crazy...got any links for a video?
I need rear spring blocks (suspension is soft soft!), slicks maybe- or legal dot's
Our cars are heavy by FWD drag standards and our 1st gear is sooo short.
This car does not like a fast 1-2 shift so I need to take it easy. My 60' will never be that good. With all the power this car makes I believe 12s are very feasible- just how deep?
Really though I need to go practice a dozen times or so the first 2 gears from a dig . That will make most of the difference.
Old 19th May 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett
I need rear spring blocks (suspension is soft soft!
Where do people get these?!? I can't find them and I know they'd do wonders for the heavy 9-5.

As for dragging, if you wanna use first I advise changing up around 5-5.5. It lessens the rpm change and drops the engine around 3 in 2nd. Or given the massive torque you have, you could just go from 2nd. As long as you've got a good clutch the car can do it, cause my standard aero has the power to go from second, just the clutch won't grab.
Old 19th May 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

And where are the pages of pictures please?
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 19th May 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

My bad, it was late 10's not 9's. Its since done 10.41 which is pretty good for fwd. http://www.nordictuning.com/movies/10_41s_swe.wmv
Old 19th May 2007
Banned

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Wagon 2,0t BioPower MapTun stg6

Quote:

A 9-5 with 500+ hp could/should get into the high 12's with a bit of luck, but traction usually hampers progress significantly...

Best regards,

KK
Old 19th May 2007
Banned

Quote:
I will eventually get up some video and a dyno graph once I get it tuned by either Frank at SQR or Fredrik if he comes to the states in the near future. Brian had a dyno done but had to end it early at 5800rpms when one of the straps let loose. Full power is reached at 6800rpms. 443whp and 432wtq at 5800 is real good but there is another 40+whp there with the rest of the rpms and a better road tune.
Hi,

Is there something wrong with your current software? I assume you have the same H/W mods as "Mr. X" in Sweden, and also the same S/W?

His car runs absolutely beautifully.

Best regards,

KK
Old 19th May 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKAero
Hi,

Is there something wrong with your current software? I assume you have the same H/W mods as "Mr. X" in Sweden, and also the same S/W?

His car runs absolutely beautifully.

Best regards,

KK
surely you don't believe that two different cars on two different continents will run the same on the same software. one car has a custom tune.......the other has a mailbox tune based on that custom tune. i'm sure you can see that a custom tune is ALWAYS better....given the tuner is competent.
dave
Old 19th May 2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatship
surely you don't believe that two different cars on two different continents will run the same on the same software. one car has a custom tune.......the other has a mailbox tune based on that custom tune. i'm sure you can see that a custom tune is ALWAYS better....given the tuner is competent.
dave
Hi,

No, of course, a custom tune done by a competent tuner with all the necessary equipment is ALWAYS better.

Best regards,

KK
Old 19th May 2007
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatship
dave
True that Dave^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I could be so lucky to get Fredrik in the states to road tune my car...oh the POWER!! I think with the boost up closer to 30 and a sweet tune this car would get to that magical 500whp. I guess Frank will get the nod as I need to get this done. The car is cranky every cold start-up and has a few numb spots and is rich at times...etc etc
Old 19th May 2007
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 9-5
And where are the pages of pictures please?

Do you want to post them for me sir super mod mixer??
Pm me or send my an email at sendtog@gmail.com
Old 19th May 2007
Garrett

Quote:
My bad, it was late 10's not 9's. Its since done 10.41 which is pretty good for fwd. http://www.nordictuning.com/movies/10_41s_swe.wmv
Indeed good. BUT, if I am a betting man that car has had thorough weight reduction efforts and has had many tweaks of the suspension and wheel/tire combos.
Where my car shines is 40mph on and upward. The other day I was heading up a long slow hill with a misting on the roads...I was at 65mph and was feeling frisky b4 I got off the highway. I progressively stomped on 3rd gear and broke both tires free at 70mph...this is very entertaining and mad me laugh out loud . I need to find a 400hp vet on a dry day and see how things shake out on the highway- not from a stoplight of course...
Old 20th May 2007
Banned

Quote:
True that Dave^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I could be so lucky to get Fredrik in the states to road tune my car...oh the POWER!! I think with the boost up closer to 30 and a sweet tune this car would get to that magical 500whp. I guess Frank will get the nod as I need to get this done. The car is cranky every cold start-up and has a few numb spots and is rich at times...etc etc
Hi,

Why don't you ask him? I know he goes to Scotland and Holland quite a bit for tuning as well as custom remaps.

He just did a 535 hp 9000 in Scotland. It had too mild cams unfortunately, but driveability was excellent of course.

Best regards,

KK
Old 20th May 2007
Garrett

Quote:
Hi,

Why don't you ask him? I know he goes to Scotland and Holland quite a bit for tuning as well as custom remaps.

He just did a 535 hp 9000 in Scotland. It had too mild cams unfortunately, but driveability was excellent of course.

Best regards,

KK
Actaully KK, I have had one email exchange with him after BrianS introduced me through email. On Thursday I emailed Fredrik with a handful of questions and one of them was if and when he was coming to the USA. As of yet....no response back

535? whp or crank power?
Old 20th May 2007
Banned

Quote:
Actaully KK, I have had one email exchange with him after BrianS introduced me through email. On Thursday I emailed Fredrik with a handful of questions and one of them was if and when he was coming to the USA. As of yet....no response back

535? whp or crank power?
Hi,

We've had a Bank Holiday over here (Thursday), usually closed this Friday pretty much all over the place.

I'm sure he'll get back to you as soon as he can.

535 was crank hp AFAIK. Check out the black 575 hp monster 9000 that they dynoed last week. Apparently that was at 6.500 rpm. Fuel cut on that car is 8.000+ rpm... The flywheel came loose during the tuning session on the dyno. It should be capable of 650 or even close to 700 hp.

http://www.maptun.com/cars.php?id=134

Best regards,

KK
Old 20th May 2007
nutpam

Quote:
Hi,

We've had a Bank Holiday over here (Thursday), usually closed this Friday pretty much all over the place.

I'm sure he'll get back to you as soon as he can.

535 was crank hp AFAIK. Check out the black 575 hp monster 9000 that they dynoed last week. Apparently that was at 6.500 rpm. Fuel cut on that car is 8.000+ rpm... The flywheel came loose during the tuning session on the dyno. It should be capable of 650 or even close to 700 hp.

http://www.maptun.com/cars.php?id=134

Best regards,

KK
Good to know thanks KK.
A GT40- jeez!! I do not see anything on the h/w list about strengthened internals...c/rods or piston. Is the tranny stock too??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement