Battery down to 2 volts with no warning. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th May 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '98 900SE 5-spd, 5-door
Default Battery down to 2 volts with no warning.

I tried to start 'er up this mornig to go to work, completely dead. No cranking, no lights. Drove a p.o.s. pontiac we have lying around to work instead.

Got home, tested the battery with my father... when a "dead" battery can have 6 or 7 volts, this was at 2 and change. Obviously, I need a new battery, but how could this have happened with no warning? I haven't had to jump it, it hasn't stalled on me or anything at all. The batter is maybe a year and a half old, I just think this is strange, especially given how dead it is with no sign prior to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th May 2007
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycatkid
I tried to start 'er up this mornig to go to work, completely dead. No cranking, no lights. Drove a p.o.s. pontiac we have lying around to work instead.

Got home, tested the battery with my father... when a "dead" battery can have 6 or 7 volts, this was at 2 and change. Obviously, I need a new battery, but how could this have happened with no warning? I haven't had to jump it, it hasn't stalled on me or anything at all. The batter is maybe a year and a half old, I just think this is strange, especially given how dead it is with no sign prior to this.
I have had this happen to me, once with the '50 Super - a warrantied 18 month battery - only 9 months old...A Delco battery yet..
Maybe one out of 500 batteries will fail when several of the rather frail plates fall and short a cell or two... end of battery.
Automotive batteries do have some QC problems, but I'd say it is under control...
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 18th May 2007

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Saab 9000 and 1999 9-3 5 door

All true earthworm, but might I ask how long was the car sitting from last driving? Just thinking if it isn't a QC prob with the batt, then he might have some short somewhere that drained it and the replacement battery won't be the fix. Have you tried to recharge the battery or take it into the shop and have them boost charge it for yeah? Just thinking no sense in throwing money at a new batt if it's not the prob.

I found a "2 day" battery draining short (if I left the car longer then that the battery was too low to start the car) in my 72 Alpha Romeo by removing each fuse one at a time and putting an ammeter across the fuse circuit. When the meter showed current flow I knew what circuit was causing it. I traced it to a light socket in the rear passenger compartment.
Old 19th May 2007
Saab Crazy

I drive the car every day, so it wasn't sitting more than 9 or 10 hours or so when I went to start it this morning.

I was able to jump it from my father's Expedition and it's been charging for the last several hours. Maybe it was just a bad battery, not a terribly short life, but not a good, long one either.
Old 19th May 2007
Saab Sage!

Battery brand ? Good to know this
Miles?
Who installed it ?
Warranty ? You should be covered
Old 19th May 2007
Saab Crazy

Battery is a Bosch.
Mileage on the car is about 158K
Unfortunately.. Pep Boys installed it for me, had no choice at the time.
Old 19th May 2007
Saab Sage!

"Bosch" no longer has any meaning - it is probably just a cheapie made by Johnson Controls in this country - with a Bosch sticker on it. Check out batteries.com or similar..

But you must be covered by warranty...just as I was nigh 50 years ago .....I hope your papers are still attached to the battery, in a moisture tight plastic bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement